BX GT saved!

Anything about BXs
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

BX GT saved!

Post by milkyjoe069 »

As many of you on here have probably seen, a GT was advertised on Retro Rides forum for sale, and if not sold quickly it would be scrapped. I had to buy it purely for that reason (never had any other thoughts about BX ownership).

Well today I had it delivered to me, it has sat since 2002 in a garage. 2 owners from new. Original dealer stickers etc in window. Stainless exhaust boxes.

From a quick glance it needs door bottoms front and back, rot hole around windscreen repairing, hole repairing on drivers side rear arch behind the door, steering cowling plastics, drivers seat material is very worn (probably impossible to replace).

Don't know what else it needs until I get fresh petrol and a battery, just expect plenty of posts from me about not having a clue. It will be a long process but I just couldn't bare to see it scrapped.

Any help/hints/tips would be very grately received.

Andy
mds141
Over 2k

Re: BX GT saved!

Post by mds141 »

Well Saved. =D>
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Well done, you have a rare car there mate, i hope you manage to save it.
Nearly always underneath the motor.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

First things first, do a full inspection to see the condition of A pillars, boot floor, inner wings and sills are like to determind what kind of a job you have on.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:First things first, do a full inspection to see the condition of A pillars, boot floor, inner wings and sills are like to determind what kind of a job you have on.
And get it off the damp wood and grass before you make what's there any worse! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

Post by milkyjoe069 »

Well, she starts, goes up and down swiftly and smoothly, runs and drives and stops!! I'm well chuffed. Idles perfectly and revs up really nicely. Very smooth too.

Do they usually have a very stiff throttle peddle? Mine is and doesn't return instantly, carb is free and returns (new carb), so i guess the problem lies within the pedal and cable.

Secondly, the warning lights on the dash, why are there what look like 3 for the water? 2 look the same though
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Nope, it should be very light, I would lubricate the carb linkages,

You should have no warning lamps on when its up to temp except the handbrake (if its on)

I know its tempting to keep starting it up but that cambelt's going to snap soon, get it changed!
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

Post by milkyjoe069 »

I meant what are the lights for? One was flashing when it got hot (thermostat opened as rad and hoses hot), out of the 3 warning lamps it was the lamp on the right
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Sounds like it's overheating.
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

Post by milkyjoe069 »

why are there 2 water temp lights though Tim? I need to get a handbook too
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

Rad could be blocked mate, i suggest you remove it. Clean it by back washing it and the engine etc. Lack of use probably hasnt helped. You have a great deal to do to get her working again but hopefully you will be successful.
Nearly always underneath the motor.
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

Post by milkyjoe069 »

There is no rush to do it so hopefully I will get there. I could feel the whole rad was hot and so where all hoses, so in my head i told myserlf the rad wasn't blocked, thermostat was opening and the water pump was pumping. Quite annoying not having a temperature gauge
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

You get used to that, one is a low water light and the other is a temperature lamp, was the STOP light on?
milkyjoe069
Confirmed BX'er

Post by milkyjoe069 »

My camera is broken so excuse me using someone elses pic, but on the top left are the water lights:

water temp water level water temp

Only the one on the right flashes, the one on the left didnt?

On my engine bay picture above, what is the device at the front of the bay that the fuel pipes go into? the come from the engine mounted mechanical pump to this, and it has 3 wires to it. I cannot find its purpose in the haynes manual.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

That interior looks absolutely fantastic mate. And, you've got the computer in the centre console... very cool.

Be very sure before you chuck away the interior because as you have already noticed, replacements are hard to come by.

In my Mk. 1 I made the mistake of changing the seats but didn't take into account the door cards being different between Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 cars. They will fit but will have material missing!

Well done on saving it, also just for the record, I am envious!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E