Broken Bx

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
alexrossmartin

Re: Broken Bx

Post by alexrossmartin »

You will be glad to here that I am the new owner of this, so it'll be floating about on here again. Would love to learn any history on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi alex

Welcome aboard, Chris Abbott bought the car some years ago with very low miles and added the spoiler, GTI interior, wheels etc, it was written off earlier this year when the bottom ball joint failed and the car needed a driveshaft aswell a few bits and bobs but was basically a sound car.

The speedo cable was broken, they are available new from Chevronics and I know he mentioned the stiff steering when cold which I think may be a FDV.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

Tim Leech wrote:Hi alex

Welcome aboard, Chris Abbott bought the car some years ago with very low miles and added the spoiler, GTI interior, wheels etc, it was written off earlier this year when the bottom ball joint failed and the car needed a driveshaft aswell a few bits and bobs but was basically a sound car.

The speedo cable was broken, they are available new from Chevronics and I know he mentioned the stiff steering when cold which I think may be a FDV.
Cheers Tim. I was wondering about the interior, it is the most comfortable one I've ever had. Even more than my electric BBS racing seats.

I've yet to isolate the noise, so could be driveshaft related.

Awesome cheers, I'll get that on order. Unless a 1.4 petrol would have the same cable, as I have one spare.

FDV? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The top cables are all the same, its the lower part that is different and one from a 1.4 wont fit as its a different gearbox.

The driveshaft could have been damaged in the accident (although I imagine it may have been changed?, as could the wheel bearing etc.

BX 16v seats are amazingly comfortable (which is what was fitted)
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

FDV = Flow Diverter (or Distributer?) Valve. You'll find it on the front of the engine near to the accumulator sphere. It's a black roughly square thing with 5? rigid pipes coming out of it. It splits the high pressure fluid from the pump to the steering and suspension/brakes. It has tiny plastic filters in it that over time can become clogged, causing heavy steering. It also has little plugs on it that have a tendency to start leaking LHM once the rubber seals perish.

Repair kits are available.

Heavy steering from cold could also be a sign of a tired pump finding it harder to move the LHM around while it's cold and viscous.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yep stiff steering is often a worn pump or just (if you are lucky) blocked filters in the reservoir.

Sent from a computer using the app my brain.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I would stick some hydraflush in it, and clean the filters out, failing that look for a new pump, which is surprising given the low miles.
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

RobC wrote:FDV = Flow Diverter (or Distributer?) Valve. You'll find it on the front of the engine near to the accumulator sphere. It's a black roughly square thing with 5? rigid pipes coming out of it. It splits the high pressure fluid from the pump to the steering and suspension/brakes. It has tiny plastic filters in it that over time can become clogged, causing heavy steering. It also has little plugs on it that have a tendency to start leaking LHM once the rubber seals perish.

Heavy steering from cold could also be a sign of a tired pump finding it harder to move the LHM around while it's cold and viscous.

Cheers! I'll do some investigation, is it just a take it off and have a look job?

Do you have a link to such a repair kit?

Jaba wrote:Yep stiff steering is often a worn pump or just (if you are lucky) blocked filters in the reservoir.

Sent from a computer using the app my brain.
Tim Leech wrote:I would stick some hydraflush in it, and clean the filters out, failing that look for a new pump, which is surprising given the low miles.
I will try to go through the entire hydraulic system if I get the chance, do a flush and filters and all that.

The second BX I bought, for parts. Allegedly has a good pump so I'll swap that over if I need to.

RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

alexrossmartin wrote:
RobC wrote:FDV = Flow Diverter (or Distributer?) Valve. You'll find it on the front of the engine near to the accumulator sphere. It's a black roughly square thing with 5? rigid pipes coming out of it. It splits the high pressure fluid from the pump to the steering and suspension/brakes. It has tiny plastic filters in it that over time can become clogged, causing heavy steering. It also has little plugs on it that have a tendency to start leaking LHM once the rubber seals perish.

Cheers! I'll do some investigation, is it just a take it off and have a look job?

Do you have a link to such a repair kit?
In a nutshell, no. Once you take it off (which will be a lot of faff) you then need to dismantle it v e r y carefully before you can do any investigation, and putting it back together is quite an intricate process.

I'd go down the hydraflush route first.

Here's a good description of the job. http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/suspens ... istributor

Beware that pumps vary between models so unless you've bought exactly the same model you may not be able to swop them over. IIRC There are at least 4 different types, maybe more!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

[/quote]

In a nutshell, no. Once you take it off (which will be a lot of faff) you then need to dismantle it v e r y carefully before you can do any investigation, and putting it back together is quite an intricate process.

I'd go down the hydraflush route first.

Here's a good description of the job. http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/suspens ... istributor

Beware that pumps vary between models so unless you've bought exactly the same model you may not be able to swop them over. IIRC There are at least 4 different types, maybe more![/quote]

Ah right. Where's the best place to buy hydraflush then?

I can see why the complexity of the suspension puts people off these cars!
I didn't realise that, I'm sure mine won't fit, seeing as it came from a 1.4 petrol then.

RobC
BXpert

Post by RobC »

The suspension's not really that complex at all. But poor maintenance of the hydraulics (i.e never cleaning the filters and/or changing the LHM, which unfortunately is commonplace) leads to premature wear on components such as these. I'll stick my neck out and say that if every BX had had its filters and LHM looked after properly right from the start of its life then you'd get at least 200k miles before any hydraulic issues arose - other than flat spheres of course.

hydraflush: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/980pc0130

NB if you order by midnight tonight and use code WOW35 then you'll get a whopping 35% discount.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
alexrossmartin

Post by alexrossmartin »

RobC wrote:The suspension's not really that complex at all. But poor maintenance of the hydraulics (i.e never cleaning the filters and/or changing the LHM, which unfortunately is commonplace) leads to premature wear on components such as these. I'll stick my neck out and say that if every BX had had its filters and LHM looked after properly right from the start of its life then you'd get at least 200k miles before any hydraulic issues arose - other than flat spheres of course.

hydraflush: http://www.gsfcarparts.com/980pc0130

NB if you order by midnight tonight and use code WOW35 then you'll get a whopping 35% discount.
I'm sure once I actually get under the bonnet and look ill understand it much better. But until then, it's difficult to get my head round!

Well hopefully once I've caught up with maintenance, it should be trouble free.

I did see it on GSF, but I thought that the £45 price tag was a little high. A 35% will sort that right out though!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Afaik the pumps on petrol and diesel are different?

On a petrol they run of the same belt as the alternator ie the bottom pulley

On the diesel they run from a camshaft driven pulley.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

RobC wrote:The suspension's not really that complex at all. But poor maintenance of the hydraulics (i.e never cleaning the filters and/or changing the LHM, which unfortunately is commonplace) leads to premature wear on components such as these. I'll stick my neck out and say that if every BX had had its filters and LHM looked after properly right from the start of its life then you'd get at least 200k miles before any hydraulic issues arose - other than flat spheres of course.
I'd say 150k+ or 13 years personally, having had two high pressure pipes rot through. One on the 1.4 a galvanised one and last year on a 23 year old 1.6 with (the better) black anti corrosion finish. However you are correct, if the system is drained, cleaned and refilled every 35k and the spheres changed, the system gives very little trouble. Had a couple of rear ride height correctors go (one failed, the other became 'sticky'), but having done 280k+ in BXs' thats a pretty good record. Almost certainly would have had to replace several shock absorbers and other associated stuff on other cars, at probably more expense and harder to do. Also don't forget the 'old rubber' issue of front return pipes, Octopus etc.

Actually Tim the hydraulic belt is separate to the alternator one on the petrols, just comes off the same centre at the bottom. Of course you then get into 4 V or 6 V, ie no a/c or with a/c etc.... :wink:
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Tinkley wrote:
MULLEY wrote:It's only a simple mechanical failure, fair enough it may have shook me up a bit at the time, but i'd have gotten the car fixed, but heyho, it looks like it could make the seller a tidy sum. g.
Never seen a Morris - Minor, Marina etc with kingpin failure...... :lol: they used to be common. Seen a couple of very modern ones (cars and vans) let go the steering joint on mini r/abouts locally so hardly a BX major weakness. Might be the cumulative damge from the shitty potholes, so worth inspecting a little more frequently.
Can I say more modern Merc front bottom ball joints, Borrowed rubbish design on VW vans, too. The ball joint is on the wrong way round and pulls out. Many a Merc has had a boss eyed moment, all hushed up off course, never happens, old boy! To add to this buffoonery the design went from a simple £20 swap to a very expensive new wishbone assembly, with just as useless ball joint welded into it. Modern cars, total rubbish!
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars