Rebuild or scrap?

BX Tech talk
womble3go
Confirmed BX'er

Rebuild or scrap?

Post by womble3go »

Hello,

Not sure if this post is on the right topic if sorry.

I have a 1990 BX17 TZD estate which should be white! It been parked up for nearly 3 years now since a rear hyd pipe broke, also need a few other jobs to get through the next MOT, and in the process of fixing it I found and bought another one which needed a little work to put it back on the road.

Time has now come to either put it back on the road or get it gone in some form?

The jobs that need done that I can think of in no order are
1) body work,
2) engine leaking gasket, turbo, clutch
3) hyd pipes & fuel pipes
4) new brakes pads & discs
5) tyres wheels
6) check over wiring as mice had moved into the engine bay
7) hoses & radiator as think it blown in the really bad winter we had
8) rear swing arm bearing as stolen to keep other bx on road
9) exhaust system

Before the car was parked up it had the injectors over hauled, set of new glow plugs, set of new spheres, front wish bow brushes and drop link arms. I have owned this car for 11 years before parking up with great motoring. It’s got a better engine with turbo than the BX19 estate I’ve got on the road at the moment and is much better for towing.

The question is, is it worth doing all the work to car in time and money or just time to draw a line under it? Please can I have your thought and have I missed any work that I should do?

Kevin.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Re: Rebuild or scrap?

Post by ken newbold »

I'd say if the bodywork is good then it's worth saving. However it all depends how much time you've got on your hands. It needn't cost a fortune if you're not in any hurry as you can take your time to source the parts you need at the right price.
Looks like an interesting project. I've saved worse, but then I had the time and the parts and the enthusiasm!
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

It probably looks in a worse state than it actually is. You may regret getting rid if its fairly rust free, as Ken say's, just do it over time to get it back on the road & then hopefully you'll have a nice car to add to your collection :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Im in the process of doin some major work on my 1990 tzd turbo inc turbo rebiuld, wheel bearings, various leaks, hoses, welding, octopus, clutch release bearing, cambelt and water pump, exhaust, front wishbones, brakes etc etc...plus dozens of smaller jobs, total spend so far about £400. Not including alloy wheel refurb and new tyres, in my opinion worth every penny ive had this car about 8 years and use it every day covering 170k in this time, its all down to how much you are willing to spend and how much time and effort you can afford. Estates are very thin on the ground now esp t/d versions. Ideally you need to get the car on a post lift and go over it with a fine tooth comb and make a comprehensive list of everything that needs attention especially the hydraulic system as a lot of this will be shot.
Sometimes things are not as bad as they may appear, do you plan on doing all the work yourself? If you are in no rush parts can be sourced quite cheaply from ebay, e.g i got front wheel bearings for £5 each, front wishbones £20 pair. Rear arm kits £15 a side from Malcolm Lockwood who is an excellent source for bx bits, worth checking the cond of the rear hydraulic struts as estates have the fatter rams which are quite hard to find now. At the end of the day its your call whether you go ahead or not even if spend £1000 you will have a very practical comfy reliable economical car that will only go up in value so will be money well spent, good luck whatever the outcome, plenty of advice and help on this forum.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

I'd agree with all of that. I'm just doing a complete suspension strip and rebuild, re-pipe, new bearings, discs, ball joints, welding, underseal, waxoyl etc on one of my 1991 TZD estates and when that's finished I'll do the same on the other one. Planning on keeping them both on the road as long as possible so for me it's worth it. A lot depends how sound it is underneath - they don't like being sat in the damp unused and you'll find a lot of stuff that was perfectly ok (pipes, bearings, hoses, radiator etc) may have suffered from disuse. Mine was sat for six years, some of that time outside, and it wasn't pretty underneath by the time I got round to starting work on it - and the radiator just crumbled away into dust....
I'd drag it out, get it started and give it a good wash and see how it scrubs up. IF all looks good, then as said above, get her up in the air and have a good rummage about under her skirts...
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
womble3go
Confirmed BX'er

Post by womble3go »

Hello guys,

Thank you for the replies, that's been a lot of help, I got one more project to get done before I drag her out and start looking her over. I planning to do most of the work myself as I have the time.

I did have a look under the back end at the beginning of the year as the bx that is use at the moment had rotted away round the front subframe mounts on both sides so I needed to see what should have been there and it was in a lot better state.

When it was parked it was driven and then placed on blocks so at least it not on the ground and the air has been able to move round.

Kevin.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I agree with the above sentiment, they are so rare now you can't just through one away and get another! So if it's viable and you of course want a bx estate then...
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....