Breather hose part number

BX Tech talk
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Breather hose part number

Post by Mark.T »

Hello

I'm looking for a replacement breather hose for my Series 2 19TRS - but am not sure of the correct part number. I just want to keep an eye out incase one crops up on Ebay or elsewhere...

The hose I'm after runs from the oil filler cap (larger diam. fitting) to the rectangular air filter box. Service Citroen shows a hose 1180.35 for this location on the filler cap (orange hose in picutre below) but I think I have 1180.35 and it is far too short. SC also shows an alternative for the BX16 - 96.050.020 Could this be the one I'm after? I've attached a photo of the hose I want a replacement for - and the shorter 1180.35.

I dont think either of these are available from Citroen. Any advice on the correct part number welcome.

Cheers
Mark

Looking for hose in orange location

Actual hose off car - and 1180.35?
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Breather hose part number

Post by rutter123 »

Hi mark, any good motor factors should carry enough parts to make up this pipe, it may involve using 2 different size pipe and a reducer with an elbow or 2, i have done this on my t/d with good results.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It's a bit naughty, but older vehicles used to vent the crankcase to atmosphere. Worth doing with the older 150C engines when they get over 100k.... :wink:
The purpose of that hose is recirculate a bit of oil mist, internal gases etc to lower emissions. For actually running the engine it is completely superfluous. I used to mask the fact that I'd not routed the hose end into the air box on the 14 at MOT time. It is sometime late 70s'/erly 80s' when it became standard regulation to route these gases back into the inlet to reburn, at least in Europe.

Therefore you have another choice, just run a stock sized pipe down and out to atmosphere..... :wink:

Of course I am not conversant with Aussie MOT regs, and you may need a sympathetic tester!.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Or run the breather hose into a proper oil catch tank.... I've just ordered one of these for the TZD as it tends to breathe a fair bit of oil mist back into the system and I think it'll help keep the air filter and intercooler (as well as the bleed-off to the boost control valve on the injection pump) a bit cleaner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252014384131? ... EBIDX%3AIT
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark.T »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably see if I can get one made up from two or more others, but maybe look into a catch can for my Mk1 16TRS which has been venting some oil into the air filter housing of late.

No MOT here in Melbourne (Victoria) where I live - an equivalent "Roadworthy" is only needed when the car is sold on. So you can run the same car for as long as you want with no engineering test (different in some other states in Australia I think). Maybe that's why you see so many cars with one headlight out here...
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Worth cleaning the two gauze filters in the oil filler pipe tube and capping first on the 16TRS. I have the same engine type and NO lower filter as the tube got replaced, but not the internal gauze. These simply get clogged with 'mayonnaise' over time especially in winter conditions and make the crankcase breathing even worse!. I tend to clean mine at least once a year. The top internal cap one can be prized out with a screwdriver, then find the pin holding it together, remove and unroll, then wash in petrol.

Only other thing is older high mile engines do tend to get a bit more crankcase pressure from losing piston ring compression, but these engines can do 200 - 250k miles even if the head may need a refurb and light valve lap.

My old 14 got so bad it was throwing the mayonnaise into the filter and inlet tract resulting in gobs blocking the main jet whilst doing 70 mph... :wink:
The 16 has a better air filter and induction system, but worth trying to get more life from the filter, and not letting one corner clog with oil.