Troubles come in threes - any advice please?

BX Tech talk
deltic
BXpert

Re: Troubles come in threes - any advice please?

Post by deltic »

deltic wrote:Three problems are afflicting my BX at the moment and if anyone has any advice I'd be grateful:

1. Seems to be running a bit hot - whilst the car is moving the temperature gauge remains pretty much the same at 90C but when stationary soon goes up to 100C or slightly hotter. Fan is working OK, problem with thermostat?

2. Fast ticking of accumulator. Replaced accumulator about two years ago, but only made a little difference. I've another new accumulator, so try that and see what happens?

3. This is a new one and started on a very hot day. Changing up from 3rd to 4th (auto box) the engine suddenly revs up, almost if it is slipping. All other operations of the gearbox are smooth. Double check gearbox level and change fluid? Must admit I haven't driven the car since so need to test it again to see if the problem is still there.

Thanks
By way of an update:

1. Seems to be running cooler now with a flushed radiator and new coolant. It did cross my mind but could changing from a plastic to a metal bonnet make a difference?

2. Previous accumulator must have been a dud and I should have done something about it sooner. Poor marks to the garage that fitted it too...

3. Kick down cable had broken. As garage couldn't source a replacement they had to make up one with parts from a bike shop. This leads to the inevitable question does anyone have or know where to source a new cable from please?

As part of a lot of work done to the car I had the rear brakes/disks/bearings replaced. All was well but then the ABS light wouldn't go out. Great that's all I need I've spent more than the car is worth on parts/repairs and now it's an MOT failure... Then took the car out again with my mother in law in the back and all was well again, so let's hope that's the last of it.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

deltic wrote: 3. Kick down cable had broken. As garage couldn't source a replacement they had to make up one with parts from a bike shop. This leads to the inevitable question does anyone have or know where to source a new cable from please?
Parts from a bike shop is a good way to go before tackling the proper job which is a complete PITA on both sourcing the cable and fitting it!

I could not get a cable from Citroen as no longer available even a computer search of dusty selves across the land so keeping your eyes peeled on Ebay is best answer. No one on the forum was able to help.

Fitting it is another issue because the cable does not attach conveniently to the outside of the box but requires partial dismantling of the valve chest interior to the box and working for some period on your back. Garage time on this task is likely to be expensive even with their advantage of a lift!
1991 BX19GTi Auto
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Way2go wrote:
deltic wrote: 3. Kick down cable had broken. As garage couldn't source a replacement they had to make up one with parts from a bike shop. This leads to the inevitable question does anyone have or know where to source a new cable from please?
Parts from a bike shop is a good way to go before tackling the proper job which is a complete PITA on both sourcing the cable and fitting it!

I could not get a cable from Citroen as no longer available even a computer search of dusty selves across the land so keeping your eyes peeled on Ebay is best answer. No one on the forum was able to help.

Fitting it is another issue because the cable does not attach conveniently to the outside of the box but requires partial dismantling of the valve chest interior to the box and working for some period on your back. Garage time on this task is likely to be expensive even with their advantage of a lift!
Worse than I thought. Now begs the question as to how the garage has done the "repair" as no mention of the box being dismantled...
Last edited by deltic on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

deltic wrote:
Way2go wrote:

Worse than I though. Now begs the question as to how the garage has done the "repair" as no mention of the box being dismantled...
They will have joined a new piece of Bowden Cable interior to the "tail" which still is attached & enters the gearbox. It is highly likely that the cable broke outside the outer at the top of its run where it runs around the throttle quadrant, as this is exposed to air. This can be fixed temporarily with three bits, 1:a nipple barrel, 2: a short length of Bowden Cable interior and 3: a jointing connector.

I would check out how they fixed it because if the cable had broken lower down then their temporary fix could be more problematic for continued operation.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Ref the metal V plastic bonnet and I have two Athenas with one of each!. There is no real difference EXCEPT the plastic trim piece (a thin flap of black plastic with holes in) just behind the front of the bonet is different. I have not worked out the exposed area, via counting the hle diameters etc and totalling but they are different. You should swap the trim piece too if you can as the metal bonnet has a longer overlap down than the plastic. The plastic should also have two lateral grille parts too, filling the longer space.
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Tinkley wrote:Ref the metal V plastic bonnet and I have two Athenas with one of each!. There is no real difference EXCEPT the plastic trim piece (a thin flap of black plastic with holes in) just behind the front of the bonet is different. I have not worked out the exposed area, via counting the hle diameters etc and totalling but they are different. You should swap the trim piece too if you can as the metal bonnet has a longer overlap down than the plastic. The plastic should also have two lateral grille parts too, filling the longer space.
Interesting thanks. Mine seems to fit OK, but I do wonder whether I should have salvaged the GTi's old plastic bonnet soundproofing in case that may have made a difference to the cooling.
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Way2go wrote:
They will have joined a new piece of Bowden Cable interior to the "tail" which still is attached & enters the gearbox. It is highly likely that the cable broke outside the outer at the top of its run where it runs around the throttle quadrant, as this is exposed to air. This can be fixed temporarily with three bits, 1:a nipple barrel, 2: a short length of Bowden Cable interior and 3: a jointing connector.

I would check out how they fixed it because if the cable had broken lower down then their temporary fix could be more problematic for continued operation.
Yes that was my concern, just what sort of bodge might they have done...
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

deltic wrote:
As part of a lot of work done to the car I had the rear brakes/disks/bearings replaced. All was well but then the ABS light wouldn't go out. Great that's all I need I've spent more than the car is worth on parts/repairs and now it's an MOT failure... Then took the car out again with my mother in law in the back and all was well again, so let's hope that's the last of it.
Well the mother in law trick didn't work as the ABS light is now back on again. Many years ago I recall seeing a fault finding guide to the BX's ABS, is anyone aware of anything like that?
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

That ABS guide is part of the Citroen workshop manuals... The PDF can be downloaded from the archive of an old BX site I linked to in a recent post about autoboxes...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

themildbunch wrote:That ABS guide is part of the Citroen workshop manuals... The PDF can be downloaded from the archive of an old BX site I linked to in a recent post about autoboxes...
Thanks, the link being: http://web.archive.org/web/200805041458 ... /citroen2/ and specifically for the ABS: http://web.archive.org/web/200502240848 ... es/abs.pdf and possibly a bit too complicated for me... I guess the next step is to find the spare rear sensor I have in the shed and go on from there.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

deltic wrote: but I do wonder whether I should have salvaged the GTi's old plastic bonnet soundproofing in case that may have made a difference to the cooling.
It wouldn't make any difference to the cooling.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Agreed, the sound proofing is not part of the air intake to the radiator. The plastic sheet just behind the bonnet nose and in front of the rad is part of the air flow intake, but I doubt it makes too much difference as the fan is largely a little lower. One type has holes in it, the same as my 1.4 petrol 150C beast had, the other is slightly different.
I'm going to be changing the fan switch on my rad soon anyway as I'm fairly sure it's not working.....
Never had one fail on the 14, but that will be the second on a 1.6, seems a bit odd, but it is not that uncommon even on new cars. Now where is that 11 litre washing up bowl to drain it (cooing mix) all into... :wink: