strut return pipes

BX Tech talk
stevieb

strut return pipes

Post by stevieb »

the two return pipes (vent and overflow?) on my offside front strut have broken, i have ordered a replacement from aep which looks like a plastic block with two pipes coming out of it. the haynes manual gives no information, i have no idea how to change it, can anyone please give me instructions? these have been broken for a short while, will it have had any detremental effect on my strut?
many thanks
stevieb
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Re: strut return pipes

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Did you get a new metal clip with the pipe? It looks a bit like a jubilee clip. You will probably need one.

You need to cut off the old metal clip, and clean up around the strut where it meets the square bit of the new hose.

Use pincers (like you would use for pulling bails out of planks) to tighten the new clip in place, and then plug the free ends into the rigid pipes.

It's a bit of a fiddle, but no so hard to do.
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Genuine citroen ones are the only ones that will fit properly, most others are crap, you can try cutting the rubber pipe back and using an inline connector with some new 4mm rubber pipe. Shouldnt affect the strut. These are only low pressure return pipes.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Actually you don't need new metal clips if you are careful!. I use a largish (500mm) F clamp to squeeze the clip from the back of the strut to the outside of the brake disc (with protective wooden packing block). Gently increase pressure until you can slide the 'hook' part of the clip vertically off it's catch point. As above ensure back of strut is clean as a whistle, then replace the return (again use the genuine Citroen ones - the GSF are total crap) and reverse the procedure though you may use a 'pincer' or 'crimper' to hook the metal 'catch' back together. Generally I've been able to slide them back with a pair of screwdrivers.

Proviso is do not over pressure the clamp as that may damage the strut. I must have used this technique at least 6 or 7 times and never had to replace a clip or had a leak from the seating area, except once with a GSF return.... :wink: and btw that did not even do a year before it disintegrated, incorrect material.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

/\ as that, the clips can be undone and re-used, the hose legs just pull off and push back on to the metal pipes. Yes the GSF ones are crap and don't last 12 months before rotting out but the AEP ones are genuine and ok.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

This is one of those very easy jobs if you have the right tool that can be a real pain if you don't... Pincers are a good tool to have but not all will do up the clip. I have a pair that are sharper and have a slightly thinner pincer end that work well.

I think Vanny posted a PDF a while ago of the 'official' Citroen way to modify pincers just for this job.

Oh, and it's also easy to position them slightly too high so the rubber block misses the whole and the strut will still leak!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
stevieb

Post by stevieb »

thanks for all the info, i'll have a play this afteroon...........