TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Kitch »

sdelasal wrote:Kitch, have you tried Edwards, near billericay, for a subframe.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
I've not heard of them, are they Citroen breakers?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Yes Kitch, well known around here. Call Mark, http://www.edwardsandson.co.uk
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well winter is very much here, effing cold this morning walking Jack, although he didn't seem at all bothered, progress on the metro is slow as I don't get week days off much now although working weekends are rare, but they are taken up doing family stuff/shopping etc!.

Off Saturday to see the Athena and drop off service items and such like to Barry, also meeting a few of the guys at Alan Goodyears again as Darren Walster (from the FB page) has also taken on a project from Alans many BX's, in the shape of a low mileage BX 14TE (yes that's right, not a St Tropez, Rendezvous etc) just a bog basic TE. Which has also sat for 10 years but was coaxed into life with a new starter and some swearing and looks solid and oh so basic (less is more so they say)

It does make you realise how rare the BX is, how many left states that the 16TZS manual (my first BX), there is only 1 remaining taxed example!! and 5 sorn...one of which is at Alan Goodyear's!, the attrition rate is alarming, even now.

So if you have the space and know how (or means to get someone to do it) then its worth a thought about rescuing another BX, Alan is 76 now and doesn't have the best of health (he had a stroke last year bless him) and I imagine if anything did happen to him you can guarantee the site would be cleared and the cars scrapped (that's over 50 BX's!)...just a thought....if I had my way I would rescue the poor white E reg 14E leader but its damaged and you would never get it out and is sat in about 6 inches of mud.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Any decent estates in that bunch?*

Not for me you understand lol ;)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

There's only about 3 estates phil, ones got the side missing...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well BX wise they are all tucked up for winter except the Athena which is at Barrys having the boot floor done which is quite rotten.

Amazingy the pipes are good except for some perished rubber returns which will get done as he works the way through the car.

I dropped a boot full of parts off inc cambelt, waterpump, discs and pads for and aft and some other bits.

The plan is to have it ready for the X rally albeit unpainted.

In other news I had the SD1 tuned and rolling road tested (yes Kitch) at a local old boy knows the V8 inside out.

After a clean and set of the carbs and the timing being set correctly shes much smoother and idles cleaner.

Numbers wise is was kicking out 164.6BHP at the flywheel and 240.6Ft/lbs of torque. It does have a free flow exhaust but otherwise is stock so either the equipment's out or its gained 10hp and 20ft/lbs of torque, he did say then engine was very sweet and running "bang on" and he did say that its not the first time he's seen a cars kicking out more power than when new (originally it was quoted at 155bhp and 219ft/lbs).

My ears are still ringing from standing behind her at 120mph/5250rpm on the rollers!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The metros had a clean

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It's not listed on your signature strip, is it not staying?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Just seen it "Plus various other BL/Rover tat."
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Defender110 wrote:Just seen it "Plus various other BL/Rover tat."
:lol: who knows! ive not driven it far yet,
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Happy New year everyone! Back to the daily grind....im hoping 2016 is a good year for me, the past two have had there fair share of ups and downs.

I am probably going to have downsize the fleet soon, as a company car and attractive salary package may be too good to turn down...

If that happens one or possibly two of the Xantias will have to go as they were brought to use as daily's, although I haven't seen the Desire for 6 months (hurry up Barry!)

The GT has started to become temperamental which is odd as its given 7 year of total reliability, I think its fuelling as it struggles to start, then idles ok until I touch the throttle and then it dies...ive ordered a new fuel filter, plugs and some carb cleaner, plus it was quite low on fuel.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

It's a carb one? Your temperamental touchy throttle is more like partial blockage of idle jet and/or mixture passageway. Carbs use these on the very first touch of throttle and are very sensitive to gum (from aromatics in unleaded) drying up in the passageways. When we store outboard motors for the winter we run them dry before racking them. For all that, I'll bet there will be at least one when brought back into service that will need a quick carb clean through the mixture orifice to get it to idle and low accelerate properly..... :wink:

If not try swapping the coil and/or ignition module as well as clean grounding the earth on the gearbox. I definitely had a coil go weak on the Athena though it would run OK'ish but poorish consumption, the exhaust note instantly changed when I swapped. Or get it tested, as it is a real pig to nail down, you keep thinking it's something else, like leads, dizzy cap, dirt in carb etc etc. My symptoms were more brilliant cold start, hated starting just slightly hot (say 1/2 mile to 3 miles), very hot and it was OK again.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It doesn't have an ignition module I think due to its age but point taken on the cool.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Tim Leech wrote:It doesn't have an ignition module I think due to its age but point taken on the cool.
I think you will find it does... :wink: unless you have weird one with points.... :wink: or unless it is really a GTi....with full fuel injection!
Check near side of engine near the distributor a small black unit screwed onto the head on a flat. Can be worth removing and checking the alloy is not corroded, it should be clean and a thermal paste is used to keep good contact. The back of the module is clean metal and needs a good earth here.

My 14 (150C) had one, in fact I have a brand new (Lucas) spare for it so may work with the 19. You may even have the coil on the n/s bulkhead a tube type beast. I've had those fail twice on the 14, difficult starting, not pulling away at low revs being symptomatic. Oddly enough the partial failure with the 16 coil is slightly different in nature, and not at all as obvious. AFAIK all BX had an early electronic ignition system with the distributor being the only near 'contact' part. Somewhat primitive compared to systems already used in m/cycles in the 70s' with contactless electronic ignition and advance retard fully built in. Later the cars caught on, for emissions/efficiency!.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I stand corrected, I thought it was just the later ones.

Cheers