Window down

BX Tech talk
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Window down

Post by Thickasmud »

Yesterday when pressing the window switch a small "bang" in the door and the window dropped completely down into the door. :cry: It was cold, wet and very windy all the way home #-o

So this afternoon I have taken out the card and found this completely disconnected from any thing, the glass is still in the channels and the securing bolts to the "regulator" are all tight. The car is a Ph2 with Al channels which look fine.

What do I need to do to make it all water tight again, please (I have a roll of laminate underlay for the membrane).

Below is the removed part that went AWOL.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Window down

Post by Defender110 »

Temporarily push the glass up by hand and block it up with a wooden prop cut to size whilst you source a replacement window regulator or repair your own. The main pivot axle that holds a coiled spring has come out or snapped by the looks. If you take the complete regulator out you way be able to refit the axle and secure it with a small weld.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Here's a picture of the complete thing to give you an idea of what has separated.

http://www.magnumvs.co.uk/citroen-bx-wi ... italy.html
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

Thanks Defender, the pivot axle had decided to do its own thing so the window is now on batton crutches whilst the liquid metal cures. Meanwhile I need a replacement drivers side mech. I assume I will need to find an electric mech or are the manual versions the same?
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

No manual versions are different, I have some doors in my garage loft which I am emptying out this weekend so will see if I have one for you.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Thickasmud
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Thickasmud »

My repaired window mech lasted exactly as long as it took me to put everything back together, as soon as I had reclipped the door mirror trim the little **&&£(@:!$$ dropped straight down into the door again, ohh how I laughed. So the window is now temporarily I hope, propped up with lengths of water pipe, which I found easier to cut and jamb into place.

Still as least I now know how to put it all together again and in what order to get the runners back into the guide rails.

Defender if you do find any offside/driver side mechanism please let me know. Seems a shame to have to junk the whole thing when its just the pivot axle piece thats worn through the collar, has anyone succesfully rewelded or found a way to bodge the pivot axle back together so it actually works?
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

I have a complete door I can take it out of.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
Pallas

Post by Pallas »

I used the mechanism from a back door (same side of course), they are in a much better shape usually. Only difference is that the window will stop 2-3cm earlier on the way down.

If you just find a handcranked back one, no problem. You can easily remove the handcrank sprocket (it's held by 3 cmall clamps, bend them open) and attach your electroc motor with 3 usual hex headed screws and the original motor nuts, you just need to grind off some material from the screw heads to flatten them a bit (so the mechanism won't block itself), and cut the screws to length.