TZD Non-Start

BX Tech talk
Dominic
Confirmed BX'er

TZD Non-Start

Post by Dominic »

Having not used her for 4 months, I changed the fuel filter and she now won't even try to start. Assuming air ingress at the filter, I took the new filter assembly apart again, and lo and behold, the filter is completely dry! Is there a lift pump in the tank I should be looking for?
Dom
91 TZD
02 Picasso HDI
'12 DS5
83 Moto Morini 500
70 Fiat 850 Spider
Anything that turns money into noise...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TZD Non-Start

Post by Tim Leech »

You need to prime it with the primer, round black button on top of the fuel filter housing or an inline hand pump.

Give it a fair few squeezes to get fuel up to the pump.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dominic
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dominic »

Sorry, I described that badly. On the first attempt, I did the usual - button pressing and all - no action - a bit of smoke from the exhaust, so something's trying to ignite - just not very hard. On the subsequent attempt, I turned on the ignition without attaching the fuel input pipes to the filter expecting to see a pumped flow of diesel, but nothing. Is there not a lift pump in the tank? If there is, it ain't working, and if there ain't I've got another problem - possibly stop solenoid.
Dom
91 TZD
02 Picasso HDI
'12 DS5
83 Moto Morini 500
70 Fiat 850 Spider
Anything that turns money into noise...
mijfife
Confirmed BX'er

Post by mijfife »

I don't think there is a lift pump at the tank end, it's a bit too old school for that. Mine can be a bit of a sod to restart after changing the filter but I keep priming it after each attempt with the black button and it usually fires up okay after a couple of attempts.
Another thought is that you might have a blockage in the fuel line from the tank. I'd remove the filler cap and then try to blow back through the feed pipe with some compressed air and listen for it bubbling in the tank.

Regards, Jim
1991 BX TZD Hatchback, biodiesel powered :D
2007 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi - everyday work horse, totally reliable but so dull :roll: 60k miles on my homemade biodiesel so mega cheap to run!
1967 Singer Chamois Coupe - owned since 1998, fully restored by myself - love it.
1991 Kawasaki GPz900r - owned since 2004, awaiting light restoration & a bit of TLC.
2002 Triumph Daytona 955i - bought in 2014 so that I could take Kawasaki off the road to restore - that's my excuse anyway :lol:
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

No lift pump it's all sucked through from the fuel pump on the block. Just keep pumping! Sounds like you have air in the system.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....

Post by Guest »

On my TZD there there is a fuel primer shaped like a mini rugby ball on the top left beside the drivers side sphere and I assume yours is the same, keep squeezing it until you feel some resistance then bobs your uncle! It may take a bit if there's no fuel in the reservoir
Russ
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Russ »

On my TZD there there is a fuel primer shaped like a mini rugby ball on the top left beside the drivers side sphere and I assume yours is the same, keep squeezing it until you feel some resistance then bobs your uncle! It may take a bit if there's no fuel in the reservoir
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

You won't see fuel flow from the unattached pipes as the fuel is PULLED by the main HP pump through the filter and disconnecting the pipes will just have it sucking air.

Put it all back together, prime it, then crack off each of the injector unions a turn (17mm). Crank it over and as each union starts to spit diesel, tighten them. Once there's 3 bled it'll run while you tighten the 4th.

That said, if you have an air leak, nothing will work.
I have zero patience for your tedium.