Paint spattered from bin lorry

Anything about BXs
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Paint spattered from bin lorry

Post by RobC »

This morning the whole passenger side of my BX was spattered in yellow paint from a presumably botched wheely bin incident with the bin lorry (who on earth puts open tins of paint in their bins? grr to my neighbours). Anyway the operatives left all their details on a piece of paper under my wiper.

Any advice on first steps?

I was planning on getting in touch and confirming that they accept responsibility for the damage, then getting it repaired, and sending the bill to them. Will it be a big repair job do you think, or just a quick case of rubbing down. I ask because the roof at least has been in need of a respray for a good few years....
1991 Citroen BX 16v
JayW
1K Away

Re: Paint spattered from bin lorry

Post by JayW »

The fact they left their details is sufficient acknowledgment. They ARE responsible from the moment the operative takes control of the bin, even though it may not actually be thir fault.

As for repair, it depends entirely upon the type of paint.

Emulsion will wash off.
Gloss and Eggshell will come off with turps once softened and can be removed from glass with a blade. So, the likelihood of any type of respray is unlikely.

Just remember, as a vehicle, you run the risk of it being written off just the same as a crash. Be reasonable and you'll be alright, start pushing for betterment (the dodgy roof for example) and you'll stray into trouble.

After all, accidents do happen and I bet the guy involved feels like shit.

I'd personally be having a word with the neighbours along with my mate Mr Baseball Bat... ;)

Didn't realise you still had your Valver, haven't seen it or you for years!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: Paint spattered from bin lorry

Post by Defender110 »

/\ as that apart from the recommended game of baseball. :-)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.