Mk 1 oil level gauge

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Mk 1 oil level gauge

Post by Kitch »

Centre console will be fine. Only held in by a few fixings, and they're pretty robust. Also the same as used on the mk2.

Won't be under there, of course! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
bowei001
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bowei001 »

At long last!
With the enforced lockdown and having done just about everything I could around the house, garden & garage I decided to have a go and find the elusive oil level gauge control unit. At the last Citroen meeting it was suggested that a Mk1 has the unit on the right hand side of the steering wheel down in the dashboard area. Lying in the driver's footwell I just managed to get my hand far enough up to feel a ribbon cable attached to a box that felt promising. Using a mirror and torch I was able to see that the box looked about the right shape & size so I decided to remove the lower steering wheel cowling/panel for a better look. Surprisingly, the panel is held on by only 7 screws and 1 bolt and after removing the rubber ring surrounding the ignition lock ( to get a little more "wiggle-room") it came out easily although the cable to the dashboard light rheostat is horribly short and has to be unclipped from the rheostat to move the panel. The control box was then fairly visible, attached diagonally to a bulge on the inside face of the dashboard by 2 plastic trim plugs. Once its ribbon cable was unplugged & the fixing plugs were removed the unit came out easily and I was able to replace it with the new one that I bought from eBay Italy 4 years ago. Now, for the first time in over 30 years I have a working oil level indicator (although I don't think it will ever replace the dipstick!). I will probably try to open up the old unit and see if I can find out was was wrong with it although, at the moment, I have seen just about enough of that troublesome little box.
Thank you to all those who have made suggestions as to where it might have been located over the years and to all those Mk1 owners who have allowed me to peer into a variety of places in their cars at various meetings.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Brilliant! Need to check if the one on m DTR works...I suspect not
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »