Wiring to coil - BX19 TRS 1989 - and HP pump priming

BX Tech talk
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Wiring to coil - BX19 TRS 1989 - and HP pump priming

Post by Mark.T »

Hi

I've just reparied and re-installed the engine wiring looms on a BX 19 that I've been trying to get back on the road for some time. I'm glad to say that today I at least got the engine running - it started second time which I was pleased with after four years gathering dust... But when I connected the coil wiring (its ignition sysem has the squat type coil with 4-pin connector, and ignition module on the side of the distributor) I noticed one of the wires has nothing I can see to connect to... the left hand wire from pin 4 in the photo below.

Does anyone know what this might connect to - or is it for the test port that my car doesn't have? the only thing just about in reach is one of the carb. solenoids, but this is already powered. Having this wire "loose" hasn't stopped the engine running though.

I've had a look at various wiring diagams I can find, but none of these seem to quite match my car - most have the test socket mentioned above...

Ignition coil connector

Also, I've not been able to get the HP pump primed. I connected a funnel full of LHM to the pump input hose, but none of this was taken by the pump. the hose does dip down a bit before reaching the pump - so possibly there is some air trapped - do I need to disconect the hose form the securing clamp and strighten it out to get LHM into the pump? The pump was working well last time the car ran, and when I had the pump onthe bench it kept spurting LHM every time I moved the pully.

Cheers
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Wiring to coil - BX19 TRS 1989 - and HP pump priming

Post by rutter123 »

This appears to be the same/similar coil i had fitted on my gti, the pins 3&4 are common to each other and as on the gti pin 4 did not connect to anything. As for priming the pump using a straight bit of hose direct onto the pump with a funnel full of LHM should do the job, it may help if you undo the bleed screw on the pressure regulator (12mm head) half a turn or so, sometimes this helps to expel any air in the system, run it for 60-90secs then do it up see how that goes. Failing that some up and down of the hi/lo lever may help.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark.T »

Thanks for the advice. The unconnected wire didn't seem to stop the enigine running... I wonder, does it provide any useful diagnostic info to a voltmeter or scope?..

Regarding the HP pump, I loosened the supply tube from its bracket (on alternator supoort) so that as you suggested I could hold it "straight up" and gradually poured LHM through a funnel while cranking the engine and this time the pump did take LHM. Must have been some air trapped before. Reconnected the pump to reservoir and restarted the engine with the pressure regulator "open" as suggested for about a minute. On closing the pressure regullator valve the system pressureised and the rear end lifted after about 30 seconds - with no leaks anywhere to be seen! After checking the clutch, brake and steering funnction I finally moved it out of the garage, after four years up on stands. Will give it a good clean tomorrow! Maybe post some photos in the next few days too.

Regards
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Good job.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Cliffs beat me to it, the spare wire doesn't get used on uk models.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mark.T »

Thanks for confirming. Just need to get steering alignment sorted

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel