Warning lights....

BX Tech talk
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Re: Warning lights....

Post by Kaapelimies »

Change the sensor first.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Ordered one like this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Pressure- ... Sw9VZXOx7f

The top seems to match what I could see of my sensor, so that will be with me by Friday hopefully, then Saturday will be fit it day. If that doesn't work then sump off time on Sunday as long as everything turns up on time.

Would I need to drain any oil when changing the sensor or just let the oil settle to the sump and then remove the sensor ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

The oil will all be in the sump (and a bit in the filter) so there shouldn't be any need to drain before removing the sensor. A bit may come out though, so have a rag handy.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Just a thought, if I do have to take the sump off, I've got a new gasket for it but will I need some oil resistant/high temperature proof silicon sealant to go with it ?

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

You shouldn't do if it's a quality gasket, tho sometimes it does help to hold the gasket in place whilst fitting.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Right, I didn't manage to get any work done to the car on Saturday as I had planned but got it all sorted today (Sunday).

Changed the sensor, found going up from underneath easier than going down from the top. But I still had the lamps coming on so it wasn't a sensor fault.

Then jacked up the front end, drained the oil and took the sump off (this took some doing and even with all the bolts out the sump had fused itself to the engine casing but it came off using a bit of wood and some gentle taps with a hammer). Found that the oil pickup was dented in the middle and was sitting flat against the mesh inside. The sump had a shallow dent in it, nothing that would cause alarm but the impact must of crushed the oil pickup cover. Anyway, took it off and managed to beat it back into shape and got it reattached. I then spent bloody ages removing the bits of old gasket from the engine block using a thin flat razor blade. After that was done it was on with the new gasket and a new un-dented sump (I ordered one as a precaution - it's a perfect fit, the only thing it doesn't have is the little channel that runs down to the dip stick but this doesn't affect the dip stick or your ability to take readings). Before dropping the car down off the axel stands I changed the oil filter for a new Purflux LS923 and filled her up with 5L of Castrol GTX 15W 40, I have an extra 1L bottle on hand just incase I need to top her up. Once off the stand I started her up and gave her a moment and all the lights went out! RESULT! :D :D :D

So, the long and short of it all, dented oil pickup was restricting the flow of oil and meant the oil pump couldn't pump the oil at pressure, which triggered the lamps. Once the dent had been taken out the oil pickup, normal flow has resumed and the oil pump is now pumping oil at the right pressure again and the lamps have gone out.

Many Thank You's to everyone on here, you guys have been a big help! :-D =D>

RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

That's a great result, glad to hear it. Hopefully the problem with the oil pressure hasn't led to any engine damage, as it was caught early.

Sometimes warning lights genuinely do mean what they say!
1991 Citroen BX 16v
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Yep, fingeres crossed on that front! [-o< Anyway, I'm just glad it's sorted and there is a level of self satisfaction that I've managed to do it on my own on the driveway. :D (I've already apologised to my Dad for the large amounts of oil I dropped all over the place but it was dark when I finished so he hasn't seen them yet :oops: ) Also, it's really cool to look up into engine from the sump and see all the internal workings haha.

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

So I take it you already had it in mind that this was potentially the problem and assume you damaged the sump the day the lights came on if restricted oil flow was the cause and I assume this is why the turbo noise increased with the turbo running dry?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.