C2, C3 Alloy wheels on a BX

BX Tech talk
almostfrench
My Cars: Peugeot 205 SI, Peugeot 205 DTurbo, 3x Audi 5+5, 3x Audi 100 Avant, Audi V8, VW T3, Range Rover Schuler, VW Scirocco, SEAT Toledo,

C2, C3 Alloy wheels on a BX

Post by almostfrench »

When "Chuggington" (BX TGD), needs new tyres, I'm tempted by the idea of C2 or C3 15" alloy wheels.

The main reason is that Michelin in particular, is not offering their high-end tyres in 14" sizes ant more.
Pilot Sport 3s are only available in 15" upwards.

I'm quite aware that going slightly lower profile will have a corresponding loss of comfort, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make for more grip and more precise steering.
Besides, I'm not looking to change things radically.

Has anybody used these wheels?
I'm hoping that the offset might be correct for using 195-205 section tyres without having to alter the guards.
The rear bearings have been changed recently, so no issues there.

Thanks!
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: C2, C3 Alloy wheels on a BX

Post by rutter123 »

205'S may be tight on the back, i had 195's on 14's on the rear of mine with only a few mm's of clearance on the inner arch even with new arm bearings, i think a few of the guys have fitted 205's on 17's maybe they could advise you further.
So far as i know 6J rims are about the limit on the rear without having to "adjust" the rear arches.
You may want to consider Pug 205 SMR (205 1.9) Goodwood style rims which are 15's 6J which i think look pretty good on a BX and are in keeping with the era.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You can fit 175/65 14 easily enough or 185/60 14, the bigger the wheel, lower profile tyre etc the harder the ride
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

almostfrench wrote: I'm not looking to change things radically.
Pardon me for pointing it out, but wouldn't you say not changing things radically would be to just use another brand of tyre, other than Michelin? There are plenty that offer better tyres, and usually for less cost too.

Changing to a different style of wheel purely to retain a brand of tyre is changing things fairly radically, to be fair :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
almostfrench
My Cars: Peugeot 205 SI, Peugeot 205 DTurbo, 3x Audi 5+5, 3x Audi 100 Avant, Audi V8, VW T3, Range Rover Schuler, VW Scirocco, SEAT Toledo,

Post by almostfrench »

Thanks all.
I'm not necessarily hung up on Michelins, it's just that the choice of decent tyres in 14" is dropping by the day.
Sure, you can but Yokohama Advans for track days in sticky compounds in old fashioned sizes, but the advances in tyre technology are not trickling down to 14" sizes like they are for 15s and 16s.
I also really like the look of wheels like those used on the C2 such as the "Leopard" wheel, I just wondered if anyone knew if the offset was in the ballpark.
Unless you're going down to 40 profiles, the ride quality doesn't suffer as much as some people would have you believe; tall tyres HAVE to have stiffer sidewalls, therefore lower profile tyres can have more flexible sidewalls for better shock absorption.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

In my experience (speaking as someone who ran C2 wheels on a BX) they ruined the ride. Tramlined like hell, and the unsprung weight was noticeably higher as the C2 alloys may as well be made of iron. NVH noticeably worse and the offset was wrong. would have needed spacers to sit them properly.

Plenty of decent tyres out there in BX sizes.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I bought 4 new Michelin 165/70 14 last year for about £45 a pop
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

TBH the Pirellis' on the Auto are OK too. Slightly harder to 'feel' than the Michelin Energy's but still grip Ok and steer with good weight, Dunlops are light steering by comparison btw. Mind you, I don't mind the factory stock sizes 165/70 seems pretty good to me for real world use. I have played more with m/cycle sizes before now to some advantage but they are much more sensitive to a single aspect ratio change ie from 120/60 to 120/70 which can really change steering. Brand is aslo noticeable with in 100 meters of riding off with new tyres. It's the carcass design as well as rubber and profile. Cars are less sensitive but still reward a good selection, re steering/grip/handling/feel.

We have a C4, which has 17" alloys. A neighbour has one too but changed to 15" steelies and high aspect tyres (ie cheap C4 model type) because he buggered 2 wheels on potholes. If you believe in the roads being resurfaced to German standards in the next few months then low aspect tyres are fine. Hell I've even buggered 2 steel wheels on a BX at very low ie sub 20mph on local roads. Strangely the tyres survived.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I fitted a set of 4 Infinity Ecosis budget tyres, new not remoulds (4 for £112 off the web) on the t/d last year and to be fair they feel just as good as the Avon's that were fitted previously, the budgets have B wet rating and same for fuel/noise efficiency, at the time £'s were short and couldn't stretch to Michelins or similar, they do the job well enough for me. Probably wouldn't fit them on a 16v if i had one tho.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I fitted some matador budgets to my 19TZD before the 2012 challenge and they gripped well, were quiet, £30 a piece
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

rutter123 wrote:Probably wouldn't fit them on a 16v if i had one tho.
My 16v's got Wan-li ditchfinders on it, or something. I don't think the cost/brand of tyre plays a massive part of how well they work, but when you've got crap ones like me, you definitely drive according to the grip levels!

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:
almostfrench wrote: I'm not looking to change things radically.
Pardon me for pointing it out, but wouldn't you say not changing things radically would be to just use another brand of tyre, other than Michelin? There are plenty that offer better tyres, and usually for less cost too.

Changing to a different style of wheel purely to retain a brand of tyre is changing things fairly radically, to be fair :wink:
Especially when the car has a wonderful perfect set of original trims complete with the illusive valve covers :(
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
almostfrench

Post by almostfrench »

Hmmmm,
Seems like the weight of experience is against me.......
I certainly wouldn't be losing sight of Chuggington's steel rims and original trims. He does look very smart as is. I'm just remembering what a MASSIVE difference in grip and handling, "Modern" tyres made to an Audi I have back in Australia.
Maybe I'll get some nice Michelin Energy or Cross Climates for now and maybe have a "Play" with some secondhand rims down the track.
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Just get some new tyres to fit the rims,

I ordered 4 new Michelins for my GT today, 175/65 R 14 and paid £50 a corner for them