TZD Turbo 1.8TD XUD7TE camshaft options

BX Tech talk
Cromptons
Confirmed BX'er

Re: TZD Turbo 1.8TD XUD7TE camshaft options

Post by Cromptons »

From experience I Wouldn't bother messing with camshafts (never seem to make much difference).

Just increase boost, k14 will be happy at 20psi or more if you're daring! and fit a bosch pump with the normal mods.
Problem is with the xud7 I don't think you can get MLS headgaskets...
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

Thank you for your feedback. I have finally found a camshaft from Peugeot 309 1.9D and it fits my 1.7TD head like a glove.

Regarding turbo... The Garrett I have has seized waste-gate valve at almost fully closed position so it seems I already had some boost :) And I've got myself a nice thickest possible Victor-Reinz gasket. It should do it, I hope?
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
barry badger
BXpert

Post by barry badger »

Did you get anywhere with this?

My txd has always been very flat and smoky at 2,500/3,000 revs, i've tried another pump, new injectors,valve clearances,timing ,etc.
I've put up with it for years like this, i was going to change the engine when i get time.
After reading this i realise it must have a td cam in it, must have had a broken belt at sometime.
Never realised the cams were different.
1993 tzd estate, on sorn
1992 tzd estate, slowly being raided for parts
1992 txd estate, "doom blue" on the road
1991 4x4 estate, on sorn
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

barry badger wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 pm Did you get anywhere with this?

My txd has always been very flat and smoky at 2,500/3,000 revs, i've tried another pump, new injectors,valve clearances,timing ,etc.
I've put up with it for years like this, i was going to change the engine when i get time.
After reading this i realise it must have a td cam in it, must have had a broken belt at sometime.
Never realised the cams were different.

Hi, I just noticed your post. I hope you have found a solution already.

I ended up with 1.9D camshaft from Peugeot and it works well. Though i don't think it makes a substantial difference in overall performance.

You can measure camshaft lift height with cover removed. With that you could identify what you have. You should have a long camshaft with rear end pulley in your TXD. Also, while fiddling with my fuel pump i found that timing settings have nothing to do with what the book says. Initially I set it to manual but ended up turning it by hand on a running engine. If yours is smokey in mid revs, you might try advancing timing just a little. But I am not an expert in this matter.

Please see D and TD camshaft dimensions:
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS