GT mediated Awesomeness

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Re: GT mediated Awesomeness

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Today I had the challenge of getting the GT mechanically ready for the challenge - I failed! There are still a couple of things to do. BUT I did get some jolly good jobs done today, I fitted my new head unit and sorted (fucking finally!) the drivers window out. I now have four fully functional electric windows - hah!

The first half and a bit of the day I spent wiring in the new head unit. As a wiring novice, I tried to get as much prep and planning done in advance so I, hopefully, knew what I was doing. I took a trip to Halfords to get some wiring essentials - namely a couple of connectors, some decent wire and an ISO plug to butcher so I could connect the headunit to the GT's loom.
I wanted to make the car friendly to future head unit swappage - I used a new ISO connector, cut the superflous end off and went about wiring it intot he GT's loom. The original radios supplies left a couple of wires outstanding, so I had to find an earth and a switched live feed. Thankfully Rich had recently put in a temperature gauge for me, so I used the samee earth and switched live points as that did (this head unituses the permanent feed as the main power source).

I ended up with this, complete with my sribbles as to the wiring routes. The two lower wires are the bluetooth antennae and microphone jack, and the folded taped wires are rear speakers and aerial-pop-up signal. I split the plug connectors into speakers (the 8 way white plug) and the power and earths (the white four way plug) for simplicity. Hopefully now, with future head units for this car will just be plug and play - although I like this one so far.

Other endes of the plugs, earth, switched and permanent live and draped artistically on the gearknob - the speakers wire. I think I went a bit OTT on the wire I bought, the live feed is fused with 10A, so I though I should buy wire with at least a 10A rating, all halfords had was 5A or 17A, so went for the oversized just because, puts the loom wires to shame! Is the biggest one there.

All plugged in and ready to start putting the dash back together, worryingly I had a screw left over or loose etc... Could not see where it came from!

The finished product, looks quite similar to the old radio, but it's a shiny finish which lets it down slightly. It does however have Aux, SD card, USB, bluetooth and CD inputs though - so a very useful piece of kit. It also has 4x75W pre-outs which should help with the sound quality and volume. Because it's a flip front, it unfortunately sticks out an extra inch which is less good.

Next was the drivers window, I started this last weekend to no avail. After plotting all week, to get the wondow runner to fit onto the white plastic knobs, I filed the little bastards down! No point in messing about further, the very ends of the scissor mechanism, where the plastic knobs are (that sit inside the runner) for some reason are offset from the rest - meaning it's impossible to get the knob in the runner. Enter the half-round hand file, after a couple of file and offering it up, it fitted on. Didn't want to take too much off and make another rattle!

Also fixed the bashed about insulation, had to put two new sheets on wher ei'd been fiddling in the door cavity. Window now functional! At bloody last!

I needed Steve's car to to and for today, so had to take him to work, so before picking him up, I went for a 60 mile drive in my freshly winodow-fixed, music-playing GT. I want to finish this tank of fuel before the challenge so I have an idea of what we might be spending on petrol. It's going to be expensive, petrol in France is more expensive than in this country right now - and the exhange rate is pretty much the shittest it's been for some time...
About 1/4 to 1/8th of a tank left and done 250 miles, fuel gauge is so inaccurate I won't know the actual mpg until I fill it up again, thankfully we have a 5p off a litre thing from Morrisons, so that'll help
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Do excuse the grammar and wording. I just post-proof read this and had a giggle. I have had a bottle of wine with dinner this evening and can't be arsed to go over and edit the whole post. You'll just have to forgive me! drunk

Strut returns are now leaking, had them on the list to sort pre-challenge so will do so tomorrow or Monday. Also need to check the LHM filter, get the boot bung sorted, fit new bulbs in the fog lamps and some new wiper blades. The she'll need a good ol' clean and sticker fitting session.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

GT almost ready, strut returns now sorted - they were more than split, they'd actually broken off at the ends! WHat a fiddle to do, managed to re-use one clip, but the other is temporarily help with a cable tie (using the 'head' of the busted clip that the base of the return sits in, on the strut to stop the cable tie deforming the rubber and creating a leak).

Passenger

Driver

Also bodged the boot floor bung, here is what's left of the original, a bit of polysomethingorother and some sticky back insulation should do the trick at least for the challenge.

Got a bit wet doing this! Kept pissing it down, so I was playing dodge the heavy showers. Had a look at the under-dash speaker - this is working, and quite well too, so i'll leave it alone until a more in-depth ICE session happens which is likely to be in the not-near future! As I keep coming up with things to do on this car.

Got to do the fog lights (in the post), dash lights (tonight probably), top speakers (also in the post) and stickers then we're challenge ready!

Rear wheel bearings are starting to make themselves known (not as bad with the boot floor bung bodged), as are the rear arm bearings. After driving and parking up, when the back end settles back down to a resting height - they sound like angry frogs! Quite funny.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Time for a little post-challenge update. The GT managed wonderfully throughout the challenge, it is running now better than ever - apart from the sloppy gearchange, rear wheel bearings and flat front spheres or sticky-as-shit struts - it's really quite nice to drive!

In the UK driving upto the ferry, the enginbe was getting really quite warm in traffic and the idle was hunting, it wasn't overheating but was consdistently hot enough that the fans were off and on. On the move there was no problem so I didn't think of it much more. We stopped on day 2 at a mini supermarket for lunch, and James Walsh wanted a peek under the hood. Eagle eyed Phil Boxall spotted that the air intake selector flap was stuck on manifold-source air, so the carb was only getting hot air to burn. A bit of bodgery, and it was fixed to the cold air position - which really made it run smoother and let it breath better going up those alps!

Fuel wise we used 6 tanks, although I won't know the mpg of the 6th until I fill it up (might have to wait until pay day...) we did:

-30.14 mpg (pre-Phil mod)
-38.78 (No alps!)
-36.20 (No alps!)

This evening I have empited all the stuff out of the GT, cleaned the inside (was filthy!) and given it a post-challenge oil change as hopefully all the crap that has just been sitting in the engine from when it was laid up is well and truly dissolved in the oil.

More photos and videos to follow!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good work Tom! I literally just logged in to PM you and see how it handled the challenge. I'm really pleased it did it so well! I can imagine it wouldn't have been as enjoyable if you'd taken as it was before!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I spent most of the challenge following it, rode and handled very well, no smoke or funny smells (well just the once but that was rubber) and Tom gave it the beans quite a bit!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Kitch wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 am Good work Tom! I literally just logged in to PM you and see how it handled the challenge. I'm really pleased it did it so well! I can imagine it wouldn't have been as enjoyable if you'd taken as it was before!

No, not nearly as enjoyable! Im chuffed as nuts with it. Really want to get more things fixed/improved but funds are on the short side, as they always are post-holiday. Not sure If it would have made it either, as it was before you fettled it Rich!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Once it was done, it kinda set the gauntlet for me to get my Dad's done and driving as well. I managed to remove the bumper mouldings from the original rear bumper a couple of days ago.....took FOUR hours!

That's why old cars take so long to restore!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Okay, so I still haven't finished my post-challenge write-up, or sorted and edited all the go-pro videos that we captured. Life does get in the way, doesn't it?

Steve and I made a few decisiions at the weekend, we decided that we really are fed up now of living in a house with no garden, our house is a coach-house, or a flat above garages. It's a great house, quite big, lots of storage cupboards etc and everything works and most things are still warrantied (new build when bought). We're both green fingered and like our outdoor persuits, so we have decided to save hard for a deposit (rather than saving a little bit here and there as we were previously) which involved making lots of buidget cuts. One of those cuts had to be taking the GT off the road, which saved us quite a bit as when you add the tax, insurance and MOT costs, they add up...

So it's not all bad news, i'll be coming to the national now - which'll be the last trip before off-roading the GT. Also, I can start doing some of the bigger jobs that require removal of the subframes etc. So when it comes back on the road in a year* or so, it should be even nicer to drive!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Makes sense Tom, I shall be putting the GT aaay after the PC phot shoot in august, and fit a new clutch and get a few bits of paint done next year.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

The GT is now off the road. At some point major work will commenceth. Progress will be slow I fear, but apart from missing driving it, i'm not in a rush. In theory I have two years before it really must be back OTR.

Pt.1 Rear arm and rear wheel bearings need doing, i'll have a look at the HP pipes at the back whilst i'm there and the HC and subframe. I plan to have the boot carpets, rear seats and all rear trim off to see what's under there and do some sound insulation. There is road/wind noise coming from the back but this could be the opera windows - this'll be a good time to investigate properly.

Pt.2 Front subframe needs refurbing, so will check out the HP pipes at the front (some are crusty!), the octapus, front struts, steering hardy disc, front exhaust sections, HC and have a gear linkage overhaul as the change still isn't great (although much improved). The front carpets will have to come out to get to the subframe bolts so will have the front seats out and do some more rust/condition investgation and soundproofing here.

Meant to post a small update pre-national but computer was off being refurbed so couldn't. Been meaning to put the new headlamps on the GT for a while now! It came with 2 lovely new Lucas headlights, which is great. The light output difference between the two is marked! The old had about half-to-two-thirds of the silver stuff left, and the glass fell off the drivers light on the ferry back from the challenge...

Probably won't get started until next spring as I have another semester of distance-learning degree to do.

*HC= height corrector
Last edited by saintjamesy89 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Oh, so now photobucket, which was slow, full of ads and quite shit but if you had the patience could be used to post images on websites is now even more useless? As in you cannot use it for anything other than to store images - unless you pay 399 dollars for the year of course. Fucking useless.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I saw that £250???? Who on earth will pay that kinda money!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Time for a small update I think, especially as the most recent one was July last year! The GT will soon be moving house, so I have been clearing out the rented garage she resides in. I'm almost there, just have to shift a set of steel wheels and a spare door (so check out the for sale section), I have some other stuff to sell but that is stashed in the spare room for now.

GT getting some winter sunshine, she really does run nicely - if a little reluctant to start.

I also have a newish daily driver, I don't really need one as I walk to work but as my husband works weekends and evenings sometimes, I was ending up stuck at home a lot, so decided we did need a second daily car. So being the slightly off the wall person that I am, I bought a slightly tatty Rover 820 that had been LPG converted, it's also got a full long life stainless exhaust, has had new, stiffer suspension and a manual gearbox from an 825 (with a torsen diff) so is really quite good fun to drive. It has it's niggles, two of the wings' paint is flat and dull and it needs a new throttle potentiometer as at low throttle is quite jerky, but it's a proper barge and I like it.

That's all for now, i'm hoping to come to the X-Rally but probably in the Rover.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Loving the 800! proper big comfy cruiser (and not as complicated as a XM sorry)