Heater Tap Adjustment

BX Tech talk
bx16v
My Cars: 1991 BX 16 Valve
2000 Xantia Estate

Heater Tap Adjustment

Post by bx16v »

Hi All

On my 1991 16v, I've swapped a heater tap for a replacement, when it was out of the car, it was moving fine, fully opening and closing. Installed the tap, and connected it up to the control panel heater control and I can only turn the knob from cold to half way hot, also the tap isn't fully closing because it's reaching the stopper on the back of the control panel, so it's always blowing out warm air.

Is there any way to adjust the heater tap opening/closing, so that it closes and opens fully?

I've checked the length of the new and old cable and they are the same, there are two holes on the back of the heater control to insert the metal wire through and I've put it into the same hole the old one came out of. It's starting to drive me a bit nuts now and I don't want to have to take the tap out again if there is some way to adjust it!

Thanks for any help.

Brian
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Heater Tap Adjustment

Post by rutter123 »

I don't think there is any adjustment as such, isn't there a few small clips that hold the control cable in place on both the heater control panel and the heater housing? If the cable is clipped on in the wrong position you will compromise movement at the tap end,.

Jaba may be the man for this one.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The adjustment nut is hopefully shown in the picture below. The nut the cable goes in to crimps down onto the cable to adjust the total travel.

bx16v
My Cars: 1991 BX 16 Valve
2000 Xantia Estate

Post by bx16v »

Thanks guys, having had a bit more time to play, part of the reason it wasn't moving as much as it should is that the sound insulation has dropped off the bulk head and was blocking the tap from moving fully.

It's still not perfect, the cables are clipped properly and the cable itself is in the right place on the tap, so not sure what's going on, but it's now fully closing and opening most of the way, so I'm happy enough with it.

Thanks for the advice.