Misfire when hot nightmare

Anything about BXs
Gary theobald
My Cars: Bmw

Misfire when hot nightmare

Post by Gary theobald »

Hi everyone, car was running great but had oil leak so I decided to give it a once over, anyway degreased and pressure washed the engine car wouldn’t start so went to check distributor and noticed it was badly damaged on part leading to the coil. Bought the new distributor cap and leads and car burst into life and runs great until roughly when the oil temp starts to rise after which it sound and feels like it’s tinning on 3 cylinders. I have pulled the ht leads off one by way and the car doesn’t run any better or worse
Any suggestions guys?
Thank you
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: Misfire when hot nightmare

Post by Dave_16v »

I avoid pressure washing these engines. I did it years ago on a white valver and it would not start until it had dried out and even then a bit lumpy for a while.
Steam clean is preferable in imo and even then with appropriate care. It is likely something is still damp.
Worth checking all obvious connections including the module on the n/s bulkhead, relays in the offside inner wing, airflow meter, tdc sensor.
You have changed leads and cap but what about plugs? I have had a misfire due to a faulty plug which only showed when hot (even though I disconnected leads as you have). I would get some anyway if you have not already done so.

There are multiple other reasons, but since this seems to have manifested itself after pressure washing I would check the obvious things first.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Gary theobald
My Cars: Bmw

Post by Gary theobald »

Thanks I have removed the plugs and cleaned them plus various multi plugs and applied wd40 and all appears well again
Thank you so much
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Have you tried changing the coil?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.