1988 BX 16RS - Driveway rescue!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
georgexs
My Cars: 88 Citroen BX 16RS
95 Peugeot 405 Dturbo Executive
89 Mazda MX5
94 Subaru MV

1988 BX 16RS - Driveway rescue!

Post by georgexs »

Hi all,

Finally getting around to making a thread about the BX I bought a few weeks ago, some of you saw the for sale thread and initial photos here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22300

After being sat for 13 years unused on a drive and then garden, I saved it from being sent to the scrappy, which i'm glad I did as it's FAR too clean to scrap! Been looking for a BX for a little while, but almost completely opposite spec to this, really was looking for a high spec late turbo diesel estate, buuuutttt this one was 3 miles from my house and needed rescuing so it's the BX I have!

1 owner from new, 98000 miles on the clock, as straight and honest a car as you could ever ask for!

So, this how we found it:

Very leafy and full of cobwebs. After a couple of hours we had it up and running, threw a battery on it, a clean up of a few crappy ignition connections and some fuel in it and it fired right up for the first time in about 5 years! The suspension all seems to work as it should, the brakes working fine, even the central locking and electric windows working without fault.

In the background is my daily driver 405 estate and my friend Ben's 305 estate.

The above happened on a Saturday afternoon, we returned to next day to actually buy the car and get it home, I completely forgot to take any photos of this, but we flat towed it back behind the 405, number board strapped on the back. Back at home and it was time for an immensely satisfying couple of hours with the pressure washer!
Before:
After:

Looked great whilst it was still wet, but it is desperately in need of a polish in the future. It's remarkably free of rust, considering it's been sat on it's belly on grass for the last few years, a couple of patches needed in the boot floor corners and maybe a little on the firewall and one of the inner wings, but it's really very rot free.

Since that initial weekend I've been mostly parts gathering, large overhaul required in the engine bay having sat for so long, cambelt, oil, filters, plugs, leads, dizzy cap etc etc.

I'll do my best to keep this updated as I go along, looking forward to get this back on the road!

Cheers,
George
Last edited by georgexs on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88 Citroen BX 16RS
89 Mazda MX5
94 Subaru MV
Warren Nel
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroën C4 Grand Picasso

Previous cars
Peugeot 806 TD
Peugeot 309 TD
Ford Fiesta 1.1
Mazda 323 mk1
Nissan Micra mk1

Re: 1988 BX RS - Driveway rescue!

Post by Warren Nel »

Awesome. 31 years old!
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: 1988 BX RS - Driveway rescue!

Post by panky »

Excellent. What looked like a lost cause seems to be turning out to be a little gem.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: 1988 BX 16RS - Driveway rescue!

Post by Jaba »

Well done. And this all happened a few miles from where I live too.
Vive la BX
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent, I've been in that situation myself before with a few BX's. Amazing how well they clean up with the right stuff and some TLC
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Excellent well done. I've got to be honest that when I read about this in the origin thread I had it down as a total lost cause as I fully expected it to be totally rotten after spending so long outside festering but it looks in remarkable condition considering.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
georgexs
My Cars: 88 Citroen BX 16RS
89 Mazda MX5
94 Subaru MV

Post by georgexs »

Cheers guys, I'm very happy with it!
Defender110 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 pm Excellent well done. I've got to be honest that when I read about this in the origin thread I had it down as a total lost cause as I fully expected it to be totally rotten after spending so long outside festering but it looks in remarkable condition considering.

Likewise, I thought it'd be a dog after that amount of time under a tree and on grass, astounding how good it is considering.
88 Citroen BX 16RS
89 Mazda MX5
94 Subaru MV