Lhd to rhd

Anything about BXs
Rog
My Cars: 92 bx tzd turbo hurricane
90 bx gti 8 valve

Lhd to rhd

Post by Rog »

Well lads.
Has anyone ever converted a bx from lhd to rhd. I wander would it be a big job, steering rack, wiring loom etc.
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Re: Lhd to rhd

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am no BX expert, but I think that it is likely to be quite difficult, as the scuttle/firewall panel is probably specific to LHD or RHD pedal boxes, and will lack holes/brackets/stiffeners on the other side.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Of course it could be done if you had a donor RHD car to swap from. I have heard of it having been considered but never completed, the killer for most would be the new position of the brake doseur entailing changing all the brake piping and the rear suspension supply pipes from the front end as well as the return piping from steering and brakes. Some of that piping is probably not available new any more.

Somebody skilled and determined could get it done as a long term project I am sure. It is much easier of course to just drive the LHD car on the wrong side of the road. I live in Europe for part of the year and do not have any trouble at all driving my RHD car.

Don't let me put you off when I say that I wouldn't consider this conversion and would prefer to buy a car with the steering wheel where you want it or drive my newly acquired LHD car on the wrong side of the road.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Rog
My Cars: 92 bx tzd turbo hurricane
90 bx gti 8 valve

Post by Rog »

It's just that there are a lot of bx's for sale in France and rust free. I have a donor car and all.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

You'd probably run into issues regarding the registration, too. Any structural/significant changes made to a monocoque put you into the realms of IVA land, and that's not a place you want to be. And you wouldn't get away with not telling them, because firstly, it's pretty obvious you've modified the car, and secondly, you'd have to tell DVLA that it has switched drive on the registration document, whether it be the French one, or the subsequent V5.

It would be easier to weld up a rusty UK car.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Or move to France
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
David
BXpert

Post by David »

The hardest part of this would be welding in the extra metal to hold the steering column. The hole for the steering rack is already there, it just needs knocking out. The soundproofing for the firewall is made for ether side, the subframe is the same & most of the hydraulic pipes are the same, the main different ones are the ones that run across the top of the subframe.

You'd just need the welding doing for the steering column, a different dashboard, steering rack (& pipes if power steering was present), speedo, throttle & clutch cables, front carpet, a bit of messing with wiring behind the dash & the front wiper motor & then you'd be getting somewhere.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).