Wanted: Estate Rear Wiper Switch In Black

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
David
BXpert

Wanted: Estate Rear Wiper Switch In Black

Post by David »

Hi all,

As the title states: I'm looking for a pair of one touch electric window switches so I can put a one touch electric window on my passenger side. I've already got the control box, so it's just the switches that I need.

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other switches that'll plug straight into the BX? I'm planning on putting illumination under them anyhow.

Also, I'm looking for a rear wiper switch out of an estate (the type that locks when it's pressed) so I can do the rear wiper mod. Ideally I'd like it to be in black, but I could always swap the front off mine on to a working switch if it's a different colour.

I'm not in a rush for the parts, but I would like to get something sourced. So what's lying around?

Thanks.
Last edited by David on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Wanted: pair of one touch electric window switches & estate rear wiper switch in black

Post by Jaba »

Actually you only need one extra one shot type switch for the passenger side. When converted the passenger window switch in the drivers door acts in one shot mode.
I think it is the XM switches which are already illuminated that will fit the BX.

I converted my GTi to one shot passenger side window many years back.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Wanted: pair of one touch electric window switches & estate rear wiper switch in black

Post by Vanny »

I have a 'one shot' button for the passenger window on both sides so I can raise or lower the passenger side by a little from the driver's side, when appropriate (kerb crawling late at night for example).
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I know that I could wire it up with standard switches if I wanted to, but I'd prefer to put the proper switches in it as you never know when you want it down just a bit (and it seems like half a job just to do it that way). I know that it'll need 2 extra wires to put the proper one touch switch on the drivers side, but it won't be hard.

Have you put illuminations in yours too?

Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Just to clarify. With a one shot passenger conversion the driver side switch, the original one, for the passenger side works as a one shot. But if you want to stop it part way pushing the switch a second time stops its descent. Ideal for night time conversations through a slightly open window.
I like the idea of illuminated switches but I'm damned if I can remember how it can be achieved with easily sourced parts. Others may know.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

If you use XM buttons, they have the green illumination in them. The BX needs bulbs or LEDs putting in.
Pretty sure Matt Fenwick wrote a pretty long post on here about doing it.

If memory serves, you only need ONE new wire (green obviously) as you can repurpose one of the the existing wires to the passenger window.

That said I put them on mine in a very hung over state following a long night at a Stratford Rally.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I found these, so maybe I wrote the post about adding lights and just forgot?
SwitchLight1.jpg
SwitchLight2.jpg
SwitchLight3.jpg
SwitchLight4.jpg
SwitchLight5.jpg
SwitchLight6.jpg
SwitchLight7.jpg
SwitchLight8.jpg
SwitchLight9.jpg
SwitchLight9.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
SwitchLight10.jpg
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

found the thread, only 8 years ago!

viewtopic.php?p=190861
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the illumination isn't a problem as I've actually done it in my drivers side one touch window and my two "normal" passenger side switches, only I've used yellow and red LEDs just so they're different.

I got a bag of different coloured LEDs and resistors at the time. I might have even found your post at the time which might have given me the idea (it was around 2013 that I put the lights in them).

I was actually wondering if there were any later cars with compatible switches (as in the same size with 4 buttons & leds already in them) that would fit the BX, otherwise I'm just back to square one of needing 2 original switches.

I remember that the one touch switch doesn't have 1 needed wire (I think it was a live) for the lights, so it needs a separate circuit behind the switch itself with the needed wire provided from elsewhere (usually the other switch).

As for the rewiring, it'll need 2. The existing wiring on the car has only 2 wires that go between the doors, but in order for the switch on the drivers side to work, you need 5 wires in total, although 1 is a negative (I think) so it's common across the car, so you only need 2 more to make the 4 wires in total. They don't need to be as thick as the existing ones are as they just work the control box and don't take the full load of the window motor.

Unless you wire it as Jaba suggested, then you can get away with no extra wires, but at the compromise that one switch will only do 2 functions and not all 4.

Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

I wish you hadn't asked about this Dave. Cos I've got to do mine now as it is such a worthwhile mod.
I wonder if the Tramontana website (RIP) covered this as Gabor had quite a few other good tweaks to do. The first one I undertook was to link the dash lights to the lighting switch not the ignition. The idea being that it extended the life of the panel bulbs and also served as a reminder to turn on the lights when day was turning to night.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Jaba wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 am I wonder if the Tramontana website (RIP)
http://citroen.tramontana.co.hu/

Not dead. Never died.
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Thanks Vanny. I have updated my non functioning URL. I was having to look it up on the wayback machine.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Bump. Still wanted: 1 touch electric window switch(es). I need one, but Ideally I'd like 2.

An estate rear wiper switch, the latching type, ideally in black.

See original post for details. Thanks.

deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

I discovered a cache of GSA and BX parts at my Mum's earlier in the year and I think that there could be a one touch switch somewhere. Do you still need one?
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
David
BXpert

Post by David »

PM sent.