BX Tech talk
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

1.9D PAS rack gaiters

Post by white exec »

Have to replace L and R gaiters on the 1.9 Millesime steering rack.

Needing to order some decently stretchable gaiters (rather than OE thin/stiff ones), and wonder whether anyone could recommend any of those listed by Mister Auto - easy for me to order from here in Spain...
https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/steering- ... 1987-1993/

See that OE gaiters are different for L and R, but that most of the aftermarket ones as listed as the same (11mm?/47mm?/L=200mm) for both sides.

Was looking at the SKF ones, but unsure about stretchability.
Chris
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: 1.9D PAS rack gaiters

Post by Dave_16v »

My left and right are definitely different. O/S has the smaller diameter nearest the wheel, N/S is similar* for both orifices. Unfortunately, after market don't always get that right.
Last edited by Dave_16v on Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

white exec wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:05 pm Have to replace L and R gaiters on the 1.9 Millesime steering rack.

Needing to order some decently stretchable gaiters (rather than OE thin/stiff ones), and wonder whether anyone could recommend any of those listed by Mister Auto - easy for me to order from here in Spain...
https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/steering- ... 1987-1993/

See that OE gaiters are different for L and R, but that most of the aftermarket ones as listed as the same (11mm?/47mm?/L=200mm) for both sides.

Was looking at the SKF ones, but unsure about stretchability.
The MOOG ones on Mr Auto are recommended by others.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Thanks, Dave/Jaba

Have ordered the MOOG kit, which contains the different sided gaiters.
Should be about the last job on the car, as everything else discovered now ticked off.
Got the starter solenoid relay fitted yesterday.
Getting there...
Just need importation/testing/plating to be completed now; proving a bit of a chore.
Chris
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

The OEM ones (if you can find them) can't be fitted by stretching them over the ram boss, but they do compress down much smaller than the rubber ones, which tend to bind up.

MOOG are one of the better ones for stretching, yes.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Hello,

I have done this job, the Drivers side went on easily, but the passenger side it was a bit of a dog, i found the best way of getting the gaiter over the power steering boss was with the use of a strong spoon handle. Also be aware that when the gaiter is compressed ( my gaiter was good at stretching but to long in compression) it may tend to push itself by the groove on the power steering housing and find its own place to settle.

Phil
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Thanks for the advice on this, really helpful. Obviously a trade-off between stretch and compression.
Looks like a job for next week.
Chris
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Would something like this be of any assistance on the awkward side?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Saver-C ... Swlupc9i2D
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

The set i used was Delphi part number TBR3081 citreon - Ebay.co.uk/itm/Steering-Rack-Boot-Gaiter-Centre-for-CITROEN-BX-1-9-GTI-w-powersteer-Delphi/402217718954?fits=Model%3ABX&epid=1686190616&hash=item5da60b54aa:g:N5MAAOSwll5ekaO ( my BX is a 1987 1.9rd) the same gaiter set was advertised for BX 1.9d on Ebay for £29
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

white exec wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:34 pm Thanks for the advice on this, really helpful. Obviously a trade-off between stretch and compression.
Looks like a job for next week.

And the degredation of modern rubbers, don't forget that! :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

A flexible cone looks the way to go - that and a dollop of KY :roll:
Chris
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

panky wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:01 pm Would something like this be of any assistance on the awkward side?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Saver-C ... Swlupc9i2D
Probably so, just a case of getting something that fits in there. I have previously seem someone suggest cutting the top off a traffic cone. :shock:
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Oddly enough, we do have four half-size orange cones outside - OH's kit for dog training.
Have been told they are not to be cut up! [-X

The MOOG gaiter set arrived from MisterAuto today, and they are handed L&R, and promisingly stretchy.
By an error, two SKF gaiters also arrived (two identical ones), and interesting to find they are exactly the same as the Moog longer one, and almost certainly from the same factory. Discover that MOOG is Federal Mogul, with these gaiters labelled Made in Italy.
Chris
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

That makes sense. There cannot be too many manufacturers these days for BX parts so your surmise does make sense and points to several brands but one manufacture source.
Fitting the LH gaiter is fiddly but with a stretchy gaiter it is just a case of easing it bit by bit back and front over the PS stud. It is often more difficult to get the gaiter on to the rack outer casting than over stud I have found. Be sure to secure it tightly at the rack end as the compression can force it out of position.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: 1.9D PAS rack gaiters - and progress!

Post by white exec »

LH (steering pinion) side gaiter done yesterday. It was in tatters, with most of its forward-facing side missing, and further fell apart as the remains were removed.

Interesting that a bit of it still had the mfg date, 2/1992, so original, and - real surprise - made of the same thicker, stretchy plastic as the current aftermarket ones. So even the factory must have switched away from the thin variety at some point.

Today, looked at the more hidden RH (ram spigot) side, and was amazed to find it still in one piece, and in good condition. Original wire clips in place, so likely OE as well. Left well alone, as plenty of other things to do today.

So, that's the last obvious bit of maintenance ticked off - until something else shows up, of course. :-$

Good news this morning was finding that my temporary (green!) registration plates have been allocated, and should be collectable tomorrow/day after \:D/. This also meant that I could get the car insured, so comprehensively done, with the insurance company just needing a few photos of it (inside and out) with the temp plates on.

So, now to be drivable on public roads this week, there's an Engineer inspection lined up for Friday morning. That should enable a matriculation ITV (MoT) test to be scheduled, and permanent plates and Spanish documents issued.

In true Trafico tradition, any car imported and plated, however old, simply gets the next reg.no. off the pile, so expecting to get L** ****, which you'd expect to see on a brand new car! #-o All good stuff, for a 28-year-old.

It's been a long and tiring haul (Mike did warn me...) has the matriculation of this imported car, complicated at almost every stage, and in contrast to the slick and speedy process of matriculating the XM brought with us from the UK in 2004. Never mind, an end is in sight - I think.
Chris