new bx owner needs help

BX Tech talk
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

new bx owner needs help

Post by timbo »

got a BX from my cousin and it runs very well for it's age. A few problems though.... i need to get the cigarette lighter out to replace it and while i am there i will try and work out why the heater fan can be adjusted no problems but no air comes out... apart from that it needs new gas in the suspension ball and a very thorough service... anybody know of a good, reliable and cheap mechanic in the Swansea area??
Apart from that, hello to everybody who owns a BX
:lol:
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Hello and welcome to the BXclub.I'm sure somebody on here will be able to answer your questions
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Hello and welcome to the club, try searching the forum for clues as to the help you need, you need to get a haynes manual as it describes the removal of that bit of the dash quite accurately even if it falls down in other areas.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Welcome along from me too, Timbo. Doesn`t sound like anything too major on your car, I`m sure someone will be along before too long to give you advice on the repairs required.
Vauxhall apologist.
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

thanks people .. i don't think it can be "TOO" major as the fan still works it's just no air comes through (just the faintest breath). I need to get it to a mechanic for a good service and tune up as well .. any recomendations. Thanks for replying as well and keep up the good service
:D
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Timbo PM Me your address I have a Haynes you can have for free.

PM Sent
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

hi SLEEPY 0905 just PM you .. thanks once again
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

hi timbo i havnt got your pm send it again please
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

hows that I tried again :)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

yes got it and your address.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The heater is quite a nice device when it works properly. One of the knobs (I think its the speed control but I may be confusing it with the ZX) operates a shutoff flap and can be felt when the dial is turned fully anti-clockwise. I think its likely that a cable has come unclipped somewhere and lubricating the cable as well may help.

You probably have a manufacturing defect on the circuit board that forms the rheostat speed control. The system is unusual in that the speed control is a carbon track resistor behind the control knob. This operates a transistor control module, and full speed is obtained simply by shorting out the transistors with a relay. The defect is that the board is constructed so that it doesn't do this job and if you follow the link below fully you should find illustrated instructions for correcting the problem. (Its scraping off a link from the board and soldering 2 tracks together.)

I did this to my car last year and for the first time in its life (and the 6 years I'd owned it) I had full speed! When its working properly you can hear a relay over the steering column click when the knob is turned fully clockwise.

http://bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1531
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

thanks once again for the advice people. One quick question now (because I haven't got a manual at the moment). How can one remove the front heater panel on the dashboard. Is it via the screws behind the ashtray and coinbox? If I remove it I can at least tinker around and get the cigarette lighter replaced (for my Tomtom). I will have a look at the flap control to see if it's fully shut and if thats the cause for no air coming through. The speed control for the fan starts at about 4 oclock on the dial and the dial only turns until about 9 oclock... so the markers on the dial don't match up (ie from stop to flat out).
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

thanks for that.. i didn't want to start pulling and pushing and damage the facia.. i can now have a bit of a tinker around... will be back in a bit
:D
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The fan speed control should go right round to 11 'O' clock. Firts bit shuts the flap and the fan starts ver slowly at about 4 'O' clock.

The whole thing comes apart - make sure the wiper contact is nice and clean. Also worth replacing the bubs while you've got it apart.