List your knocks.

BX Tech talk
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

List your knocks.

Post by Kitch »

New tactic here! Everytime you've ever had a quiet knock, rattle or clang around the suspension area, list them here:

Mine knocks quietly but frequently when going over bumps, even little ruts. And also when starting/stopping the engine and lifting off the throttle on the move.

I've checked droplinks, it has new arms, new lower engine mount, strut tops are tight etc.

Help!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

Post by bill o »

I have had the same sort of knock in the past and it dissapeared after having one of the lower ball joints replaced .[/b]
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Yup, done those :(

sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Had this in the past cured by replacing the lower wishbone bushes.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I get a rumbling knock when reversing out of a drive, for instance. It seems to come from the front suspension and yet doesn't manifest itself when going forwards. Also, when the brakes are applied when manouevering in reverse I usually get a thump from the front too. This is possibly brake pads moving a bit I've heard. Likewise nothing like that going forwards...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Knock going over sharp bumps - sounds heavy - and now traced to off side inner wishbone rear bush. To be done very shortly!

Clatter on full lock - looks like my new GKN off side drive shaft has failed after 1 year. Not amused but I think Eurocarparts have them at a good price and I must get on and get one. Even better I don't think theirs will be GKN.
daneinter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by daneinter »

My wife has a good cure for unexplained noises , she turns the sterio up....
M

Post by M »

daneinter wrote:My wife has a good cure for unexplained noises , she turns the sterio up....
I have a similar cure - Im deaf as a satsuma, mind you when I can eventually hear a knock its time to get something done as it will probably be bad. :roll:
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

jeremy wrote:Knock going over sharp bumps - sounds heavy - and now traced to off side inner wishbone rear bush. To be done very shortly!

Clatter on full lock - looks like my new GKN off side drive shaft has failed after 1 year. Not amused but I think Eurocarparts have them at a good price and I must get on and get one. Even better I don't think theirs will be GKN.
Just buy an arm from Euros....they're reduced to clear at £6 each last time I checked.

Check the website for prices to confirm. If they quote more in store, they've bumped it up.

Don't say I told you though :lol:

AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote:Im deaf as a satsuma, mind you when I can eventually hear a knock its time to get something done as it will probably be bad. :roll:
I can confirm yours has no knocks, I had a good listen last week due to your deafasapostness :roll: :wink:

Mine has a rattle from the aeriel wire, the sun roof did rattle but a piece of foam cured that. It has the usual clunk from the front brakes in reverse :roll: but has nice and quiet drop links and ball joints 8)
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
M

Post by M »

Mr B wrote: I can confirm yours has no knocks, I had a good listen last week due to your deafasapostness :roll: :wink:
Indeed I can heartilly recommend buying a car from BXC Very North HQ as its done 4000 clunk free miles so far with no issues whatsoever - well happy camper me. :D
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Had another look just now......I think it could be my driveshaft. The outer part of the shaft has play in it, not sure from exactly where though.

Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote: as its done 4000 clunk free miles so far with no issues whatsoever :D
It should be, the amount of hours spent, as well as the foot high pile of invoices from GSF :shock: :roll: :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

solved my remaining rattles with a new drive shaft and new lower engine mount bush! I've also solved the air leak so now only have the glow plugs sticking on to fix and fit the aircon!