What did you do with your BX today ?

Anything about BXs
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: What did you do with your BX today ?

Post by white exec »

Aux belt area producing a metallic rumble, just at idling, engine hot, and worse with A/C in use.
The noise disappeared as soon as revs increased above 1500.
Nothing looked awry, and a listening stick didn't pick up the alternator or the (new) compressor as the source.

So, whipped off the aux belt plastic cover and the belt, to find a rather dry-sounding main tensioner bearing.
aux belt tensioner.jpg
Without the belt around it, the hollow pulley could ring like a bell if tapped, and the bearings felt decidedly dry. Likely an original part.
The centre consisted of a thin pressed-in metal cover, with a narrow rubber lip on its outer edge.
Levering the disc out gave access to the outer bearing (I presume there is an identical inner one as well).
It's an open-sided ball-race, so fresh grease was pushed into it, with a spatula, with some extra encouragement from a conveniently snug sink plunger!
Immediately smoother and quieter, and some heavy oil dribbled down the other side towards the hidden rear bearing (optimistically).

Back on the car, the noise at idle is gone. Will have to wait for a hot run to see whether it lasts.

Good to see several of these new on Mister Auto, as well as the upper belt 'diverter' pulley.
A surprising (and welcome) range of BX aftermarket replacements on Mister Auto — one way of PSA/Stellantis dealing with NFP parts, while keeping it in-house. Thank goodness O:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

Got the interior lights and boot light working. Replaced interior lights with LED bulbs. Fitted some replacement trim. Next jobs will be the dash board bulbs.
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

Drove to Amberly for a car meet and described the occasional stiffness in the accelerator to someone who's owned 6 and currently has one needing an octopus. "Ah, your pedal box is splitting! They all do that and it's a simple job to take it out, weld it up and put it back in again." Fair enough!
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Amberley! It's the pits...
Wonderful place to visit. Shed-loads of interesting stuff - printing, vintage radio and tv, engines...

Nearby, Bury Hill used to present a real challenge to old cars trying to get up it. Nowadays, hill? What hill?
Chris
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

LOTS of work yesterday with the kind and immensely able assistance of Tom. Wrote a long list which seems to have disappeared in the act of trying to post it.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I gave my BX another coat of underseal this morning. It wasn't easy in the heat. I even lifted the plastic panels next to the rear seats and squirted some on top of the axle mounts too. Hopefully it'll keep the rust away.

This afternoon I installed the final one touch electric window switch on the passenger side that was supplied by a forum member (Thanks Jonathan). I now have one touch windows on both sides; with illuminations!
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I had my aircon regassed last week. Despite having 6 bars the a/c did not kick in so I said leave it charged and I will check a few things. This I did today and discovered that the pressure switch was open between 1 and 2 and the compressor was not getting 12v. I will have to dig out one of my spares and see if that will do the trick.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Re DLM's post: rubbed down wings, primed them, painted them, fixed the windows, replaced the accu sphere and fitted the painted wings and a better bumper. A hot and busy day but very worthwhile.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Heck, someone's been busy!
That's quite a list. =D>
Chris
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Jaba wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:07 am I had my aircon regassed last week. Despite having 6 bars the a/c did not kick in so I said leave it charged and I will check a few things. This I did today and discovered that the pressure switch was open between 1 and 2 and the compressor was not getting 12v. I will have to dig out one of my spare switches and see if that will do the trick.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Any joy with the pressure switch, Jaba?
Could you jump 1-2 as a quick test?
Chris
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Well I'm older and wiser now but the job of jobs took place over three weekends many years ago. I took a TZI estate and a TZD estate, each of which needed to be working on Sunday evening apart on Saturday morning and over three weeks subtracted the aircon from the TZI and added it to the TZD with the help of DLM who had inherited the TZI I bought from Moldy for its aircon system.
Yes, two heaters out and back in in two days helped little by five bottles of red between DLM, Myself and Jane on the Saturday night. Holes and blanking plates etcetera , a lot of work. The last weekend was to swap the sumps and modify the crankcase ladder.
The late Alan S provided advice and tips and Jon Wood tracked down a condenser at a very good price. It all worked and that's how the TZD became Grolliffe the ice dragon after a chance remark from DLM.

We were keen in those days, about sixteen years ago.
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

white exec wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:40 pm Any joy with the pressure switch, Jaba?
Could you jump 1-2 as a quick test?
No not yet, don't need to test it first, got many other things in life on the go at the moment. BX will wait til I dig out another switch - soon.
?????
My Cars: 1987 BX 19 RD
Mk3 Mondeo
XJS V12

Post by ????? »

Just a bit after finishing work:

New battery terminals
Cleaned up the corroded contacts inside the boot light switch. It's working now but can't find a bulb for it #-o
Put some boot trim back.
Whilst I was busy with that, dad got the track rod ends undone. Nothing wrong with them, but they'll need to come off for something else later. I have new ones to go back on because why not.

It's slowly coming back together. The welding is finished for now, I've got the paint all done, the engine is a bit cleaner, FDV has been replaced. Front bumper is back on. Just needs to have the new front to back pipes made, the rear subframe reinstalling, steering boots and disc and then some interior bits.

Hopefully it'll actually be a usable car after that. I've only driven it a handful of times up until now, the LHM leak it had was far too severe, and it was so rotten it would never have passed an MOT, so it made sense to just get it all done in one go. The current one runs out in September, so a bit of a rush for that.
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

The BX swallowed a strimmer which was brilliant. Other than that, it performs An Car duties rather well.