What did you do with your BX today ?

Anything about BXs
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: What did you do with your BX today ?

Post by Tim Leech »

Drove 250 miles to the National Rally, stop solenoid has packed in but ran well...
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Culasse

Post by Culasse »

Changed the HP pump belt tensioner, again. This is an ongoing saga. I bought a new tensioner on FB from an established BXer. Fitted it recently and found it was badly manufactured and did not line up with the pump and was, as a result, squeaky.
Then I ordered another one on eBay but the seller cancelled it a day or two later. I presume he did not have the stock. I got a refund promptly.
Then I ordered one from another eBay seller. When this arrived a couple of days ago the back plate was bent and as a result once again did not line up with the HP pump pulley correctly.
Enough was enough, I lubed up my original one and put it back on the car. I will forget about changing this for a while.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Similarly to Tim Leech above, drove the new red shed up (for me, looking at map) to National Rally and back down on Sunday - round trip about 300 miles. Had intended to make an early start, kyboshed by staying in bed recovering from a day beforehand spent standing and shifting position on a muddy slope all day - surprisingly tiring. I convinced myself it wouldn't be worth going so late. Then, after watching rain pelt down, it occurred to me there was a very good weather forecast for Abbots Ripton that day & I changed my mind.

Late off, car behaved admirably, traffic did not, but the sun came out within 10 miles of my destination and the departing Citroen drivers started waving. Still some interesting cars & people to see, and time at least to chat, though in a couple of cases with people who'd travelled from not very far away from me.

Trip back uneventful, though something that wasn't overtaking me in a frenzy proved noisy enough to intrude over the sound of an XUD in full voice. VW beetles driven full-out can be LOUD - whether intentionally or not. After a very rainy interlude around the M25, another beetle was being peered at from underneath when I pulled into Fleet services. On returning to the car, clocked that the car park was temporary home to a pair of rather different Red BXs for probably the first time in many years (ask Kitch how many).

Car behaved itself, proved gloriously comfortable, completely justified decision to buy a mile-muncher BX again. Now I'm tempting fate..... The day proved far less tiring than the aforementioned mud-perching, trying to bother fish that were less than bothered by my presence.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: What did you do with your BX today?

Post by white exec »

Not a lot for the BX to do this week, except sit in the garage - something it doesn't usually get to do - while we're visiting family in France, two days' XM drive away, and the first get together with them for almost two years.

I'm not usually into car covers, but the BX has acquired a reflective one, to protect it from the lacquer-munching and dash-warping Spanish sun. When we get home, the RAV4 will finally go, and the BX will be the full-time (and ten times more comfortable) daily.

BX: You'll never know how much you'll miss it 'til it's gone... :-$
I think a few of us have discovered that!
Chris
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Today, I've done nothing with the BX, But last Saturday, I took it for its first road trip out in years, to the National Rally. It clocked up over 320 miles, and asides from an oil leak from the rocker gasket, I didn't have a single problem with it.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

A bit of night-time driving this evening, which makes a change, out to eat after a day's work on the house.
A welcome cool 23°C, and the engine nicely brisk in the cooler air.
A joy to drive on quiet rural roads, decently lit with Nightbreaker Silvers, in what I still think are rather good headlights.
Nice to have the comfortable back end back too, courtesy of two new spheres.
Chris
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Post by RobC »

Today (ok and yesterday too) I drove the BX from London to the Auvergne. Mostly on the back roads. Forgot how wonderful French roads are. Here for a few days and then down to the med!
Seen one other BX so far, a nice looking GTi somewhere in the Loire valley.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Now that's a special day, Rob. Great way to cross France, away from the autoroutes. Many of the N and D roads are just splendid, quiet, picturesque, and what fluid suspension was built for. And you get to see the real France, saving a packet (on tolls) as you go.
Chris
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Now that is real motoring pleasure on the D roads. I used to do that too in my BX staying at Logis de France hotels on the journey down over a period of 11 years when I spent all the winter in the French Alps with my BX. I found the BX very stable in snow only needing chains once in a car park.
I only gave up with the BX when spares and garage expertise became difficult to find and reliability deteriorated.
I am envious of you Rob as I am not going over again until December Covid willing.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Meter rat
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Acadiane
Citroen BX 16 TGS
The moderns.
Skoda Superb
Citroen C1
The Motor Bike,
250 MZ

Post by Meter rat »

Got the Meteor MOT’ed. Couple of small advisories. Sadly this has neglected, so must try harder with it. The white estate. Small win, got the rear washer working, and fitted new wipers all around.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Snap! Got the rear washer here working today, too. The metal jet completely blocked. A good poke and twiddle with a 0.75mm drill bit, and working nicely now. Luxury!
Chris
Fumbler
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen BX14 RE
Nissan Micra Shape

Post by Fumbler »

The BX is in the garage getting its front suspension sorted. So far, the nearside front is being replaced, as are the front suspension spheres and accumulator sphere. The gearbox leak and hesitant front height control will be looked at and fixed too. Expensive, yes, but much, much needed.
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Fixed a wobbly headlight. The lower slotted retainer had somehow snapped off some of its rear tabs so I mixed up some flexible araldite I use for ski repairs and glued it back in tightly leaving it overnight to harden.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
white exec
BXpert
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Post by white exec »

Yesterday, got rid of three more ship's-rigging creaks from the dash.
Clock-tray was sitting snugly in its recess, but creaking all the same. A thin line of gaffa tape fitted to the narrow ledge where the tray rests, and just folded underneath.
More creaks from the upper glove compartment (a LHD luxury), so ditto there.
The third small one was, surprisingly, coming from the circular blanking plug for the RH (passenger's) mirror. Taped again.

The problem appears to be where plastic sits on plastic, and there's no shortage of that in the BX!

A couple more candidates are the dash-top tweeter grilles. Taping not easy on these, so may resort to a coat of clear PVA on the surfaces. This has worked really well on the steering shroud stalk inserts.

Pernickety, moi? :roll:
Chris
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

You will be fitting draught excluder to the doors next :wink: