TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by xantia_v6 »

white exec wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:44 pm
deltic wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 pm Was there ever a 16v auto?!
Have just had a squint at the Range brochure - and no, there wasn't.
Auto an option on the 8v GTi only.
The Xantia S1 auto was also only available with the 8 valve engine.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Or V6 👌
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

thumbnail_IMG_8051.jpg

Well out of the frying pan, the DTR arrived safety at Chevronics to be worked on for its new owner...the fuel issue it seems was a kinked pipe on the fuel sender causing poor fuel flow, which has saved the need for a pump rebuild.

In other news.....im the custodian of Sandre aka Cafiend of this parish(she doesn't do Facebook or the forum now) TZD Hurricane which has been sat idle for a few years after it popped a coolant pipe, Richard Briscoe has kindly stored it for her but lack of space means it had to get shifted or be broken up....and it is a quite a tidy car, but disgraced itself when being loaded....

Arrives with my friendly local mechanic tomorrow to see how bad it is....im hoping the LHM leak is just a sphere seal ...the plan is to recomission it and sell it on.
hurricane.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hurricane is now LHM tight, and starts and lifts, has been serviced and runs well, it will need some welding to the rear of the sills

anyone fancy a project?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Not for me Tim. I am away for a couple of months. Hope Sandre's gets put back into action. It has a front wing from my old estate. I think you fitted it for her at one of the Citroen events. Hurricanes need saving.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks John

Your wing was fitted to her other green TZD, which was J119GCR, which I understand belongs to Karl now, tatty but solid im not sure what will become of it!

Progress on the Hurricane is slow, but its at least safe for now, the headlamps decided to part company with their lenses simultaneously when the car was moved, one bounced, one didnt, anyway a replacement had been found and affixed...

I'm itching to get it home and get tidying it up ready for sale
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well I have a working BX! for the first time in 2 years.... The GT went off to a friends garage for some general TLC, it failed the MOT last year at my place of work on play in the wishbone bushes, and as this is an early car with the roller type it was going to be a faff, I located the bushes and took it in.

However the nuts at the end of the wishbone bar were seized, thankfully a second informed opinion confirmed the play was well within tolerance and my MOT tester at work was being pedantic (he was very unkind about French cars in general), a misfire was traced to a worn dizzy cap, so she had new plugs, cap, rotor arm, leads, genuine oil and filter and had the carb tweaked and went straight through this time with no advisories (different MOT station).

The cambelt and tensioner will be done before the challenge in may and I need to replace the strut return pipes as they are tired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

A sympathetic MOT tester is essential nowadays with our hydraulic cars. Fortunately my local garage do not look down on those who still love our older vehicles and are very good at letting me know what is looking dodgy on my GTi.
While I am away in France at the moment my BX is at Rob's having the rust round the windscreen and under the roof bars sorted out properly. They took both roof bars off this time to cut all the rust out. This is the third and hopefully last time the rust has been sorted out.
Your just sold blue Mk1 was there when I last visited. Lovely car that one.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks John, I love the GT, to think it was given away for scrap 15 years ago, its been my trusty steed on many an adventure and will waft the beloved (yes hes coming this time) around France on the challenge in May.

I wont make the mistake of letting our place work on my cars again. They don't want to do it and it shows.

The DTR is a nice car, but will need some work soon, which is out of my budget, so I am very glad its gone to a good home who will spend the money on it when its needed. The GT has done less than a 3rd of the mileage too.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Glad to see the GT up and about Tim! I hope you and MIchael are both well? A shame about the pedantic MOT tester, i'll admit surprise that your C reg is a roller bearing car - I thought the change over for the rubber bushes was before then, but I suppose the registration date and manufacture date are not the same by any means!

Have fun on the challenge, Steve and I have had to duck out, non-BX projects are taking precedence for us at the moment, although if you see my blog you'll notice I have been diong some GT tinkering.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hey Tom

We think it is, when it goes to Chevronics we will know for sure! The drive to the X rally has shown up a clonking from the back end so may be subframe mounts on the way out too!

I have bought a set of drop links as a precaution, and some new strut return pipes as they are split, which I will do myself.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Time for an update

Fab service from Chevronics, return pipes, drop links, cambelt and tensioner and the wishbone bushes, James was in the chair that day and treated me like royalty!

Car drives as it should, there is some noise from the rear end which they were unable to locate, which could be subframe mounts.

She's clocked up 3000 miles this year so far (I've only done 12k in 15 years), 2700 from the Classic Challenge around France from 19-29th May, averaging between 32-42mpg!

The starter motor started to give trouble after 3 days in, thankfully we managed to locate a good used one at the Citroen Museum in Castellane expertly fitted by Phi Boxall in the hotel carpark. https://www.citromuseum.com
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well a very overdue update, been a busy year, another change of job, this time my choice, working in Derby still.

A Citroen Dyane came and went as it was an itch I wanted to scratch, rather scruffy but a hoot to drive, not my thing though... too basic and slow but glad i ticked the A series off the list, I just prefer the Beetle

As the 40th is fast approaching I must get the TZI road legal, the GT is having a year off, whilst in concentrate on others and try and save some cash!

The Xantia still rests, its 10 years since it was last on the road, so I really should pull my finger out! Its still rust free though which for a Mk1 is a good thing.

Sandres Hurricane went to a home down south, with one of my Challenge '22 team mates (follow him on instagram as classicgarage75), and is having a full resto, and aircon fitted and will share space with a Renault Alpine and a DS Rally Car!

Its fast approaching 20 years since I rejoined BX ownership (and 27 since I bought my first), and I've never been without one since. GT ownership marks 16 years this year and the TZI 14!

A few things happening as they always do, health issues, aged parents, getting older isnt fun!, can I preset "reset" please?
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

A couple of milestones then Tim! The Dyane looks lovely, but I'm not sure I'd cope with the lack of power these days.

It'll be great to see the TZI out and about, I think I've only ever seen it once. Fingers crossed the GT is getting what it needs too.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Tom

GT Is tucked away safe and dry in the barn, its having a year off.,,but gets regularly started and moved..it will need some rear suspension work when funds allow as it has a dull thud from the rear.

The Dyane has gone to a new home, just not my thing.

TZI should be at the CCC National All being well but cant promise for the 40th the week before, as its my weekend in.

Its last outing was the 100 years celebration, so 4 years ago!