Wanted: rear height corrector.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Wanted: rear height corrector.

Post by valerie »

Hi,
my bx just failed its MOT.
Apparently the rear height corrector is dripping lmf fluid, and the tester says its letting too much out.

Can these things be dismantled and fixed, or do they just have to be replaced.

It was the only thing wrong with the car, but I only have ten working days to get it fixed and take it back
for the retest.

So, I need a replacement rear height corrector.

Best regards, Valerie.
white exec
BXpert
My Cars: 1992 BX19D Millesime
- LHD, NA, AC, RP_5800
1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive

Re: Wanted: rear height corrector.

Post by white exec »

The height correctors are easily removed and repaired. Same unit, front and back.
Repair kits are readily available from folk like Chevronics, Citroen Classics, etc.

CitroJim posted a detailed step-by-step how-to, which is here:
http://www.eastment.net/hcrefurb/index.htm

If you're getting someone else to do the repair, it'd be worth printing this out and letting them have it.
Rebuilt HCs also usually available, at a price - same folk.
The same HC was used on Citroens from DS onwards; just the linkages to them, and the mounting brackets, varied from model to model.
Chris
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the leak is only due to a split in the rubber end cover, or if that cover has popped off, it can be repaired without dismantling the valve.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The most common leak here is from a split rubber return pipe at the top rear so it would be worth checking this first.
Pleiades are another supplier of HCs and the repair kits.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Post by valerie »

Sorted it out in the end, took it out and dismantled it carefully, as per the instructions, cleaned it out, reassembled and reinstalled, and voila , no leaks.
Didn't have to buy a repair kit.
valerie
Confirmed BX'er

Post by valerie »

I have a different problem now. The rubber bung that goes on the end of the steering ram, that returns fluid to the reservoir, is now weeping, and really needs replacing. Does anyone know where I can get a new one, without having to pay through the nose.
I bought one about 10 years ago from a main dealer, cost me £18, they only seem to last about 10 years before they go, which, interestingly, is about the design life of the car, so I'm told.