Light bulbs

BX Tech talk
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Light bulbs

Post by szhrr5cc »

As part of the ongoing effort to improve my BX St Tropez I've been looking at the headlights. Two things,

1, on the offside the smaller bulb in the headlamp had blown, it was a bit of a struggle to remove it...now I am puzzled as to where to find a replacement. Any ideas please? It is an odd bulb as shown in the photos, I've tried obvious sources like my local place that sells car stuff and Halfords. I did find a similar bulb but it was red.

2, for some reason I have yet to figure out the drivers side headlight is much brighter than the offside which isnt good for night driving. Puzzled as to why although it appears that the two headlights are different, maybe one was changed in the past.

Thanks for any comments.
20220301_143047.jpg
20220301_143019.jpg
markviney
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Bx tzd turbo

C4 cactus

Re: Light bulbs

Post by markviney »

Hi,it's just a normal "501"bulb -ring part number R501
Regards Mark
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

A good upgrade to the BX’s headlights is to add an aftermarket H4 wiring loom so that the old wiring controls a new relay which then powers the headlights through nice fresh wires, going directly to the battery. This upgrade will be the biggest improvement you can do.

Also, GENUINE (lots of fakes about) Osram Nightbrakers and Philips Racing Vision bulbs are a good improvement without going in to illegal wattage increases.

If one headlight unit has a dull reflector, replacements used to be quite easy to get hold of. Lots of time has passed since I had a BX so that might not be so true now.

Oh, and make sure that glass is nicely glued to the housing. You wouldn’t be the first to brake hard and have the glass exit the building!
Last edited by jamescarruthers on Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Yep, fairly standard sidelight bulb, and yes one of headlights may have been changed but the bulb should be the same, again fairly standard bulb, upgrades are available check the reflector isn't peeling off and wiring as corroded wires can affect brightness.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Post by szhrr5cc »

Thanks Gents, useful info on the bulb and I'll have a look at the relay idea, just checked the glass and, happily, that appears firmly in place! One of the reflectors is a bit iffy.