Pipe and Octopus technology????

Anything about BXs
reanimation
BXpert

Pipe and Octopus technology????

Post by reanimation »

I have been learning some more and reading carsurvey.org and everywhere you look, hydraulic leak this hydraulic leak that, pipe fix etc. quite distressing, so whats the answer, is there some 'tommorrows world' product available, or is it all about having a good check (with the car on ramps) looking for worn rubber and replacing pipes and fluid before it has a barney. and how often does this green blood need changing? I'll ignore spheres for a minute, i think i get them, they just wear out like regular shockers would. :-k
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

I've just replaced one set of pipes. They seem to be perished to the same extent along their entire length, so seem to suffer from old age rather than stress. Which makes it easy to tell, 'cos you just need to have a very close look at the ends at the reservoir - if they've started cracking you can be sure than the other ends will have as well.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Sounds fair. so the material is a bit crap or thats just the way it is, what about rubbing with silicone spray or summat if you are a die hard maintainer, would that help?

generally its gonna happen though isnt it, then i'd need this good club to guide me through this controvesial fiddly job.

how long will new pipes last?
The O/H is sick of hearing about BX's! :( And aparently Xantias are 'Didsbury cars' LOLZ
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Can't really tell how long the rubber bits last - I've only recently returned to this BX malarkey after a break of many years.

However, I know that the GT's octopus was replaced over 6 years ago, and that looks fine to me now. The other pipes look as though they've been on there for years and are still fastened with the metal strap type thingies that only a car maker would use, so it's possible that they're original. Although that would mean that they've lasted 21 years, which is either pretty unlikely or pretty fantastic.

I've heard dire warnings about what types of pipe to use, as 'soft' rubber can dissolve into the LHM. My local Cit dealer insisted that all pipes need a green stripe along the side (obviously green ink has mystical properties).

Also not to get silicone anywhere near the rubber as it's bad news if it gets into the LHM.

Old wives tales or true? Hopefully someone far more expert than me can clarify?
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Sounds like a science all of its own! good going 21y/o pipes. I'll see what the others have to say on it...
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

My mum had a 91 TGD from a year old up to late 2003. The Octopus ended up being replaced at around the 10 year mark. This seems normal, My GTi and the van both had new return pipes at around 12 years old. They usually start to get desparate by then!

Anything longer and expect a large pool of LHM on a floor near you very soon.
CCC BX Columnist
'89 16v P1
'90 BX GTi 4x4, 16v P2, 19 TZI auto A/C estate
'92 BX 19 TGD (now 17 Turbo D)
'93 BX 19 TXD estate & 19TD van
'93 ZX Volcane TD 3 Door
'71 DS 21 EFi Pallas, '86 Visa GTi ,
'98 Xantia Activa P1
'07 C4 by Loeb
3 x 2CV, 1 x Mehari
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Did they do a car derrived van? do you have a picture, always interested to see stuff like that. :)

so al BX's should of been changed at least once or they are likely ready to pop!
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Ahhh. Im getting worried about my pipes now. As far as I can tell, they are ALL 21 years old. I have the service history. The guy missed services all the time but seemed to concentrate on rust proofing. Even the Citroen service book is empty apart from the 600 mile check-up. There are no records of new pipes or LHM leaks. I remember on my last two BX's the front strut return pipes went pop, but that was about it. I guess ive been lucky with suspension (touch wood; ive got to get to Invernesshire and back next week!).
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

adamskibx wrote:Ahhh. Im getting worried about my pipes now. As far as I can tell, they are ALL 21 years old. I have the service history. The guy missed services all the time but seemed to concentrate on rust proofing. Even the Citroen service book is empty apart from the 600 mile check-up. There are no records of new pipes or LHM leaks. I remember on my last two BX's the front strut return pipes went pop, but that was about it. I guess ive been lucky with suspension (touch wood; ive got to get to Invernesshire and back next week!).
Same thing happened when i traced my MR2's cam belt changes! :shock: :oops:

Its on the list...

I guess all you can do apart from change em is check em and go easy in the mean time. :? Difference with a normal car is you'll just wobble around like ya steering a boat when shocks are done for!
M

Post by M »

reanimation wrote:And apparently Xantias are Didsbury Cars
Would that be West Didsbury or East Didsbury? I have very fond memories of the Barlycorn - does "Curly Watts" still get lashed in there?
reanimation
BXpert

Post by reanimation »

Marty wrote:
reanimation wrote:And apparently Xantias are Didsbury Cars
Would that be West Didsbury or East Didsbury? I have very fond memories of the Barlycorn - does "Curly Watts" still get lashed in there?
NOt sure about Curly Watts. probably!

I have asked, she replied:
East Didsbury obviously. West Didsbury is funky, East Disdbury is full of vets and doctors, and call their children [posh voice] Elizabeth [/posh voice]
For the record Impreza estates are also vets cars, I know cos i considered one! :roll: :lol: She has a point!
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Leaks.

In my experience, the 1st rubber pipes to break are the front strut return pipes, because they have to stretch all the time and are exposed to the weather. They are easy to fix and only give a slow leak.

After 12 years or so, the octopus will snap where it bends at the front height corrector. By this time all the other pipes will have become brittle, so I would suggest changing all the flexy pipes. The parts are not expensive,but the hours may be if you don't DIY.
I did this on mine and I hope it gets me another 12 years.

Pre 1989 cars did not have plastic covering on the steel front to rear suspension, brake and return pipes. These can rust through where the pass over the rear x-member after 10 years or so.

Later cars do not apear to have this problem, but the steel fuel pipe can rust through, giving really poor mpg.

I expect broken pipes are one of the top causes of BX's being scrapped.

Mike
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A not-unheard-of problem that I (or rather my BX) fell victim to was worn mountings for the steering ram which caused flexing of the feed pipes (which are metal) resulting in a bad leak due to (difficult to detect) fractures. Check the ram on the O/S for movement.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mike E (uk) wrote:Pre 1989 cars did not have plastic covering on the steel front to rear suspension, brake and return pipes. These can rust through where the pass over the rear x-member after 10 years or so.

Later cars do not apear to have this problemMike
It still can happen! :( Even with the plastic coating, my front to back brake pipe rusted through where it touched the xmember and peed green when you put your foot on the brake pedal. This little drama was born during the MOT test. :shock: :evil: :(
Last edited by Way2go on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Correction:

Later cars suffer from this problem less frequently.

Mike