Now that the derv has finally died

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Now that the derv has finally died

Post by Vanny »

Now that the derv has finally died, im thinking about something new and maybe a little more fun! So far i'm thinking abotu combining;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... Track=true

with

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3697

Anybody like to point out what a stupid idea this is?
Jayboy
BXpert

Post by Jayboy »

Do it mate!!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Do it! :lol:

That would make you the biggest BX legend yet 8)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sounds like a helluva project. Go for it!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Damn.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Damn, damn and blast pipped to the post again, Vanny you sod. Sounds bloody great, if you do take it on then what a motor. Best of luck Vanny. Vulture mode what are you doing with the 1-9 engine? may I ask.
Cheers.
Geoff.

Still think that £2-50 was a rip off for that pump!! :roll: :roll:
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Is it just me or do the bores on that 405 engine look a tad rusty? If so won`t that be a potential problem?
4x4 estate would be a (petrol supping) hoot as well as a bit different, though if I were you I`d be looking a bit closer to home at a nice white hatchback :wink: :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, Vanny, I've just spoken to Mark at Edwards, and the 4x4 estate's still there, awaiting your call :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

"Anybody like to point out what a stupid idea this is?"

Since you ask,
The BX4x4 does have a few disadvantages:

1. I drove a 4x4 8 valve recently. A GTI version. It was underpowered, the 2wd version is much more fun to drive. The transmission loss and extra weight would mean a 4x4 16V would be no faster than an 8V GTI, but require more revving.

2. The transfer box is a known weak link, 160hp will probably reduce its life expectancy too.

3. Parts are hard to come by.

3. The 4x4 is much more thirsty than the 2wd. A 16V 4x4 will drink like the queen's sister.

A 4x4 16V scores cool points, but A 2wd BX 16V combines power with reasonable economy.

Why not build a BX16V estate ? That would be a very practical load lugger?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'm with Mike. 16v estate would be an interesting Q-car (assuming insurance costs containable). If you can break a TD (reasonably sturdy), think how much more easily you could break a fragile 4x4, and that's before you add in the complication of a 16v engine. Yes - I'm a killjoy, but your wallet will thank me for being one.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Only thing is the 16v estate has already been done. Theres one circling on the net somewhere with a high roof and some absolute nutters driving it. Haven't seen one in the UK though.

My other small concern is that the 16v lump is very thrashy and revvy, but not torquey like a turbo lump. Would it actually drive very well with the 4wd transmission losses?
I'd love to built a BX 4x4 with an Activa engine. The CT lump can easily obtain 200bhp like most 2000cc turbo lumps. Add 4wd to the mix and you have Scooby specs! But with a lighter car....and if its an estate, the best sleeper in the world!
Only thing is you'd have to use the normal 4wd running gear, and the CT lump has 173lbft of torque at 2500rpm in STANDARD form! Si's pushed 247lb ft on the rollers at around 200bhp.....is there a compatible transmission that can take it?
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

there is a compatable transmission (all be it for the ML gearbox and has a hydraulic clutch) fitted to the Berlingo Dangle 4x4. However, dangle don't do parts, nor will they sell the box on its own at any price (great for a warranty claim i guess) and the berlingo dangel costs around €5 000 more than a normal berlingo! :(

DLM,
Breaking the TD comes from having no water in it and NOT from driving! It's the age old spending too much time on other peoples cars to bother with my own tbh and bodging because of a lack of money. Im NOT thinking of having this on the road over night and being able to have another car to drive and this one to get right (for once!)

I cant imagine there being much toruble fitting a complete 4x4Mi16 setup onto a BX when they share so much in common, certianly i doubt there would be any significant complexity in the change over!

Mike E
Dont think parts are too hard to come by if you want them! Theres been a spate of 4x4 spares on Ebay and locally advertised, theres a place in Wrexham that recon the BX boxes so they must be able to get parts and maybe can be persuaded to share!

I know i tend to get this wrong, but the 405x4 Mi16 has different front box? Certainly you dont hear of the 405 needing regular front rebuilds! But i guess there arent many of them about?

I think the shock from going from diesel to petrol will be more of a shock than Mi16 to Gti fuel consumption!

Geoff, will try giving you a call re Vultur-ising!
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've had lengthy debates with a guy down south that has broken BX and 405MI 4x4's.

He was adament that both the gearbox and transfer box were identical.

I think people are all to quick to dismiss the 4x4 transmission for its fragility but i think its mostly down to abuse. Many 4x4 systems are fragile if thrashed and the oils never changed.

The chap i know has had a 16v engine in his BX 4x4 for many years without trouble.
Over and out from me
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

It's all down to the splines.My 4x4 has 160k on it.I've had the clutch smoking,it's never had it's oil changed and it's still ok
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Could the splines not be re-engineered or made from new with a stronger metal for longevity?
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

probably easy to do, but VERY expensive!