Now that the derv has finally died

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

There must be an enginerring company out there who could do this for a reasonable rate?
Think of all the 4x4`s you could save then, Vanny! Incidentally did you see a message from someone (Stewart? Artic Steel?) who said that Keith Davis has a 4x4 estate in his yard. I think it was his ex courtesy car for when he serviced Citroens.
Worth a call or run out there? If it`s the latter give me a shout and I`ll come with you/we`ll go in one of my cars.
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

well, having been driving about in the weasel today, it seems to have a whole lot more power! However its spitting a litre of water per 100 miles and is becoming rather over pressured after about 60 seconds running, strangely no bubles though! This can only mean there just not obvious i assume! And its been bled lots so not just trapped air!

On the plus side, having added nearly 50 glycol its much easier to keep below 80 degrees (and thus keep pressure down!) it also has dye in it incase i have a spurious leak (nothing showing so far!)

Its not looking good for having a toy car, but insurance for a 16v fully comp with cover on other cars is £100 less than a 16v with td engine! May aswell make the most of what i'm paying really!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Throw 3 bottles of K seal in the header tank with the engine cold. That should stop the head gasket blowing for a bit (assuming it is the head gasket?)

I may be getting confused but if you wanted to fit 4x4 on your car then that will be a major engineering feat as I understand the floor pans are different?

Still have a spare D6C if you want it.....

£100 cheaper for a 160BHP engine than a TD? Just proves what a scam insurance is!

I reckon the box on a 405 Mi16 4x4 is different than a bx unit, just look at the castings...

I still want to build a BX T16 4x4 activa... 205BHP untouchable! :D
Will I ever get round to it........ probably not! :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Chris, I think Vanny`s insurance on a TD is dearer because it`s classed as moddified (16V rolling shell, 1.9TD engine). I can`t imagine that factory built TZDs would be more to insure than 16V`s? Then again the way insurance companies work it wouldn`t suprise me!
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Still seems nuts to me mate!
If it had a V6 or ford engine I could understand but since it's pretty much bolt straight in without any shell mods needed I really cant see what the problem is.
It's a cit engine in a cit....
Insurance, legalised robbery!

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

It`s madness, Chris, legalised highway robbery madness! Apparantly if you put a 1.4 `K` series Rover engine into a Porsche Carrera the insurance would be more than a standard Porshce, too. It`s because `modified` is a very dirty (and cash register sounding) name to insurance companies.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Ah yes but when is a 16 valve a 16 valve or a diesel? - There's nothing exciting about the thing anyway - except a superb engine - take that out and apart from ventilated discs and slightly thicker anti-roll bars its the same as a td with a body kit isn't it?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

actually it starts as a car, and ends as a car, eventually gets crushed and gets turned into another car. So can't i just get insurance for a piece of scrap metal?

I guess if you want to be particular, there is less than little exciting about a BX by modern automotive standards, so why do i even bother to have a BX at all when i could probably just buy a ford?

Just to get things in a little more perspective as there seems to be a little confusion going on here;

Current insurer : Highways
Currently insured : 16valve BX with 1.9TD engine from a ZX Aura
Current insurance cover: Third party fire and theft
Current insurance cost : £860 per year
=======================
To insure the same car with the original d6c 16valve engine;

Highways want : £1215 per year tpft
Endsleigh wants : £497 per year tpft or £705 for the year fully comp!
=======================

Now coming back on topic, as it started i was thinking about adding the 405 Mi16x4 running gear and engine to the BX 4x4 Estate that Phill has found. I really like the idea of a 4x4 estate, and having driven tricked up landies off road i know there is as much fun to be had with a fraglie 4x4 at low speed as there is with a road racing 4x4 at high speed. And so long as it will cruise on the motorway im not too worried about how long it takes to get there!

I wont bother thinking about the idea again or someone might shop me to green piece :( I cant help it if i like an engineering challenge, and i probably would have kept the 16v engine to begin with if i had known then anything about engines!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't get disheartened! I think the first jobby would be to get the 4x4 estate up and running OK - and then decide... :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Agreed, once you've got the car then boredom or beer will intervene and it'll seem like a good idea to wham a 'proper' engine in it!! :D

Go for it man, you know it makes sense!!!

Cheers
Chris G