Inevitable?

Anything about BXs
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

tim leech wrote:Hmm thought the calibra was 150bhp in 16v guise, my mate had a cavalier GSI 2000 and my 16v would blow it away!
Yeah the redtops are 150bhp (with a cat). The BX GTi is 130bhp if you're lucky, only very slightly lighter and doesn't rev as high.

The BX 16v would indeed blow a Calibra redtop 16v away. The only Vauxhall that gives a BX 16v hassle with that engine is the Ashtray GTE (or Nova/Corsa if they've gone to the trouble :lol: )
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Untill you reach a bend, where the Bx would go round it and the Astra would understeer off the road :shock:

In my youth I was into the Mk2 Astras and the steering was the only thing that let them down. Good little cars.

Mike P.
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Citroen literature (1990 brochure) says the BX GTi (and4x4) has (had!) 124 bhp @5500 rpm and 123lbs/ft of torque @ 2750 rpm. The corresponding figures for the 16v are: 160 bhp @ 6500 rpm and 133 lbs/ft of torque @ 5000 rpm.

Two different animals as this shows. And as has oft been said on this forum, the GTi's the better everyday car and the 16v's by far the quickest, but you have to keep the revs up.

I wonder if anyone has the power/torque curves for both - and we can superimpose... if we really should be bothered (shouts of 'get a life!' :roll: :lol: )
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

What we be really good would be if someone organised a track day or run what you brung!
I`d like to put the GTi or the Calibra up against some opposition just to see what happened.
Are these things expensive and/or difficult to organise?
Vauxhall apologist.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's more & more difficult to drive fast & responsively round here with not only speed camera's, bumps, chicanes and the constant lowering of speed limits, Derestricted :arrow: 50 :arrow: 40 :arrow: 30 :arrow: 20 , soon we'll be needing the man walking in front with a red flag rather than an engine with higher bhp! :twisted:
Even the A4 between Reading and Maidenhead now has a 30mph segment in a rural segment along with the 40's & 50's where 10 years ago it was derestricted. :evil:
Sorry for rant but these kiljoys to enjoyable driving where theres no sensible reason for the limits bug me! :roll:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Nanny state gone mad thats what. cameras everywhere, restrictions on most things and the worst thing is call centres :evil:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote:What we be really good would be if someone organised a track day or run what you brung!
I`d like to put the GTi or the Calibra up against some opposition just to see what happened.
Are these things expensive and/or difficult to organise?
Hhmm, sounds good!
I haven't ragged the valver for a while! :D

FCS next year maybe??

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

There are two smallish tracks that would be good fun, although because they are short(ish) it tends to be a fair amount of footwork without a terribly long straight. e.g. Catheram R300 would be hitting about 110 before piling on the brakes (thats under 1/2 tonne of car @ 300hp/tonne) so a BX is going to be slower with longer stopping too. But, because they are smallish tracks, they are probably cheap. There is one in Kerborough (Midlands) and Llandow (South Wales, 20miles west of Cardiff). If there is sufficient interest, I could investigate. You do need a crash helmet minimum though....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Lol i wont be racing my car as its too precious, plus with my driving skills it wouldnt be wise, a gentle run round the track would be fine for me. I agree with phil the 16v is a great car for out and out speed and making you smile :D but as for long journeys a 8v is more relaxed. Remember 100ph in a 16v is 5000rpm! :shock: My gti auto did it just under 4000rpm and the 8v is quieter.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote: You do need a crash helmet minimum though....
Wheres the risk in that! :D

Hows this for a thought.... naked motorsport hosted by Vickie Butler-Henderson........ [-o<

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hmm, good thinking Chris! I feel a crazy `Roger Mellie` style programme idea coming on. Something like `In the nack and on the track`. A sort of naturist car racing event with awards being given out by naked female celebrities.
Anyone got Abi Titmouse`s phone number :?:
Vauxhall apologist.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

cavmad wrote:Anyone got Abi Titmouse`s phone number :?:
Fraid not mate, but I do have a video clip of Abi Titmoose on the phone!

What a lovley, giving girl she is...

Right then, sounds like this idea has legs! Time to make some calls.....

Maybe filming should commence in the summer though... :D

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Cavmad and Doc, go take a long cold shower! :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

docchevron1472 wrote:
cavmad wrote:Anyone got Abi Titmouse`s phone number :?:
Fraid not mate, but I do have a video clip of Abi Titmoose on the phone!
Sounds like one to post in the old pond! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

tim leech wrote:Cavmad and Doc, go take a long cold shower! :D
Ok, done that. Now I'm steaming, cold and still thinking of Abi titsoutforthelads....... :D

Haven't worked out how to host vid clips yet but the phone will be making many appearences at rallies next year...... :shock:

Cheers
Chris G