2 Interesting BXs on ebay.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
ken newbold
Over 2k

2 Interesting BXs on ebay.

Post by ken newbold »

They think it's all over, it is now!
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

That 16TZS looks very very tidy, but I wouldn't call it top of the range.

As that accolade usually falls to the largest engine/best spec does it not.

Good few miles left in that one though as a run around.

Dan
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

TZS was top of the range at the time, although I agree on the lack of the 1.9 engine.

Anyway I'm declaring my intention to bid on the silver tzs.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

..and I'm going for the Mk 1! If you're going to have a Citroen it should have a silly dashboard, say I. Good luck with that suspicious hydraulic leak :wink:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I know whet you mean, a silly dashboard where you can change the bulbs in under five minutes.

If you're seroius about the MK1 I'll refrain. Good luck.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Very kind of you!

I'm hoping to go and have a look at it this weekend - I've emailed the seller and am awaiting a reply. I've had Gs and a CX before so I know the hydraulic tests, but are there any particular problem areas I should look out for on a BX? Or perhaps there's a buying guide posted on the net somewhere?

As for lightbulbs... it was easy on my GS which is lucky because it had a voltage problem and used to blow them quite regularly. I never dared on my GSAs though because you have to disconnect the speedo to do it...
M

Post by M »

stuart_hedges wrote:. I've had Gs and a CX before so I know the hydraulic tests, but are there any particular problem areas I should look out for on a BX? Or perhaps there's a buying guide posted on the net somewhere...
Have asearch through the BXClubs main site - Tom covers teh subject quite well.

Rust, rusty pipes, electrical gremelins (faulty earthing), rear radius arms, ball joints, HP pumps, spheres being flat and so on.
citroenxm
Confirmed BX'er

Post by citroenxm »

Yes. Look for rot in the boot, open the hatch, tap the back of the boot, LIGHTS end all the way across, they temd to go on the cross member chassis area, if you have to lift the carpet up. . As useual check the rear arms, stand a few meters back behind the car and see for any leaning in.

The rest of the car is pretty much "normal" for bulb changing etc etc.

Good luck.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Door bottoms from the inside of the car for holes/rust, put suspension in high setting then lower all the way down whilst checking for any creaks, smoothness of operation and then outside to check for any LHM leaks. Also (though blindingly obvious except to me!) check screen for cracks and stars.
Vauxhall apologist.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Front subframes can also suffer from rot. ususally around or in front on the rear fixing bolts.
spigven
Confirmed BX'er

Post by spigven »

It's only been one day of a nine day listing and I've already been outbid on the tzs. Looks like it will make silly money (or decent money if your the seller). Think I'll just keep an eye it for now as it's going to cost me £200 to get it home if I buy it and then its not even a runner.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

This is where anyone interested in buying a BX should start.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/maint/maint.html

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Thanks, very useful site.

Spigven, I can't believe how quickly the price on that tzs has gone up either! Nice to see a BX being appreciated though.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Well, I had a look at the red Mk 1 on Saturday. I will be bidding, but not too high. It seemed mechanically strong - it hadn't been used for a while but started first time and rose up fast and smooth on the suspension with no creaks or groans. The pump clicked about every 8 seconds, which is mildly worrying, but the power steering worked fine. Clutch, gearbox and engine all seemed fine.

The seller was pretty vague (I think just because he was, not because he was being difficult) but as far as I could see the "hydraulics all done" in the ad means four new spheres.

Electrics were all ok except for the central locking, which only worked from the passenger door. Any idea if that's an easy fix?

Also one window didn't seem to be in its runner properly, went up wonky and needed a helping hand to shut properly.

Rust up one of the A-pillars and on the shell on the rear wheelarches, visible when you open the rear doors. It was on the surface but taking a good hold; possibly still within the reach of Jenolite but might require welding.

Boot floor was good, but the bloke was a plasterer so very dusty in there!

Driver's seat torn and front headrests missing. Dash a bit faded.

Worth a punt, I reckon. But not too much. I'll bid maybe a hundred and not be too upset if I don't get it.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Forgot to mention - one of the door mirrors was smashed and the wiper arm was rusty. Are these readily available :?: