Pheonix from the flames? The TD Auto rebuild (in colour!!)

Anything about BXs
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Stereo.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi. I hate to say it but I wonder if the water/heat has done for it, it was watered by the fire brigade. Another thing is are the speakers intact ? Dont worry too much about it, there are a few things to try if all else fails there is always eBay.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Not an issue with the stereo mate, it works fine in my car!

It's an issue with the loom to it! I think I've either left a bit out (lost it) or plumbed it in all wrong... I'll be up there again tuesday to bring the ZX back so I'll have a further look...

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There is a good schematic layout for the 16 valve on Bob Smith's site. (Factory one)

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Cheers dude! Why cant Haynes be this good!

Cheers
Chris g

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

I took the gearbox cover apart for 2 reasons the bulb being one the was the orange indicator i thought was dirty which was why i could not see what gear i was in .
The indicator panel comes of quite easily i just drilled the top of the plastic rivets and prised it of , only to find that the bloody thing was not dirty! so i thought brighter bulb but of course they are all the same size so i now have an led to put ,in will let you know if it helps.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citroen7 wrote:I took the gearbox cover apart for 2 reasons the bulb being one the was the orange indicator i thought was dirty which was why i could not see what gear i was in .
The indicator panel comes of quite easily i just drilled the top of the plastic rivets and prised it of , only to find that the bloody thing was not dirty! so i thought brighter bulb but of course they are all the same size so i now have an led to put ,in will let you know if it helps.
Perhaps you are missing the translucent white reflector which sits around the bulbholder! IIRC this is what gives the even-ness of illumination as the bulb does not move. The bulb on mine is plenty bright enough.
You previously said that your numbers are on the right unlike the normal Cit fitment. Is your bulb assembly also moved to the right? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citroen7
BXpert

Post by citroen7 »

bulb holder sits under numbers on the right ,you can see the orange indicator in P AND R but then as you go down the scale the light is just not bright enough ,cant recall a white reflector but the bulb holder fits nice and snug in the hole
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well, the wheel now has a shiny new tyre on it and the last bit of trim is now in the paint shop so externally she should be finished and looking good this weekend! :D

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

:D
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

And now, the end is near, and so we face, the final curtain!

Well, not quite, but nearly!

Didn't achieve anything on the BX yesterday as I spent the day doing MOT repairs on the ZX TD. Welding, track control arm, bottom ball joint, rear cylinders etc!
Yep ZX's..... All the personality of a salted slug and as exciting as a Dulux colour chart!

Today though I got a bit done to the Pheonix...
The 1/4 wing trim is now on

Hopefully the plastic wheel arch trim will be sprayed and ready for collection tomorrow so that will finish the exterior of the car.

I've thus far applied 15litres of waxoyl onto the car so it should be rust free for a while, although today I think I ended up wearing more of it than the car!

El presidente's wheel is now on the car so she's sitting on 4 alloy's again and I reckon she looks damn near mint!

The blue BX is my mates, gave it a service today, he doesn't like the colour and wants me to spray it Vert Triton. I like the colour it is but will do it Vert Triton since he's going to coach paint my Bristol!

The cars nearly finished now but I wont have her back in Bristol next weekend since next sunday I'm off to Kitch's but she should be home the following weekend.
Dad's now seent he car and doesn't seem disappointed so I'm happy! :D

I'm really happy with how it's turned out. She's in much better condition than either of mine!

The end of this thread will be the weekend after next so you can all breathe a sigh of relief from my drunken ramblings! :D :D

Cheers
Chris G

Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Happy????

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi 'Seems happy with it' is I think quite possibly the understatement of the month --- year ---- decade . I am bloody delighted and amazed because I thought that the car had had it. The amount of energy and thought that has gone into it has indeed been outstanding, love comes into it somewhere too. ( sorry Chris, it had to be said.)So YES delighted and I must confess to being just a tad scared because a mark of any kind will stand out and be visable for miles. You know what I mean. Update,pickys and impressions from me when complete.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Well done Chris,looking forward to seeing the final pictures.Looks like your dad's going to get wet when he goes shopping now(car parked as far away as he can from any others :D :D :D )
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Barnsley BXer wrote:Looks like your dad's going to get wet when he goes shopping now(car parked as far away as he can from any others :D :D :D )
That's what the worlds most boring car (the ZX is for! :D :D ).

It's been an interesting project for sure.

A BX flat bed recovery wagon is in the pipeline, just for something a little different...... :roll:

Cheers
Chris G

docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Well this is it kids!
The end of the thread!

from this:
as she was before this happened:

To this:

Via a bit of this:

I've got some welding left on the front wings, and fitting the 16v sump to do, and some finishing touches left, in terms of the fire damage it's finished!
The car will be back home next weekend! 8) :D

A massive thank you to everyone that posted to the thread, sent PM's of goodwill or offers of help and offers of bits. You know who you are!! :D

An epic thank you to the following peeps for parts at little or no cost:
(In no particular order)
Vanny
Cavmad (for offering to break his TZD for bits)
Mannie, Martin and Darren at Bristol 2cv's
Andy and Rico at Cousins body shop
Philip Chidlow
Jon Woods
David DLM
John Smith
Gary Williams
Luke Todd
William Staniforth
Kitch
John Greaves at Classic Citroen Parts
Terry at Pro Parts
Bernie

and obviousley dad for letting me loose on his car and providing large amounts of cash and bits! :D
Sorry if I've forgotten anyone, It's been a busy few weeks and my memory aint what it was! :oops:

The project wouldn't have been possible without all your help so

THANK YOU GUY'S, YOU'RE ALL BRILL!
^^ ^^ ^^bx> club rocks! :mrgreen:

Cheers
Chris G

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

beers
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)