Knocking noise from front suspension.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Knocking noise from front suspension.

Post by cavmad »

I have a knocking noise from somewhere underneath the front which seems to be suspension related as it`s when going over bumps that it`s most noticeable.
Just had the spheres re-gassed but this noise was there before and hasn`t gone away.
I`m sure on the receipt for the spheres it mentioned something about a stiff strut(?) but I`ve lost the receipt now.
I also have a high pitched squeek from the o/s/f wheel which only goes at low speeds or when turning the steering wheel. Is it fair to assume it`s the wheel bearing and what kind of job is it to do please?
Any help much appreciated, thank`s.
M

Post by M »

Droplinks?

Usual cause of funny knocking up front.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Wheelbearings need a fly press to get them out/in mine were very loudly grinding but had no play, both inner tracks had cracks in them, might as well do the balljoints while the hub carriers are off then relax....... and wait for the next thing :D
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

First of all many thanks for the replies. Hadn`t noticed the noise in reverse and it`s more of a clonk than a bang or a knock to be more accurate.
The car drives and steers well apart from that and the more I think about it the more I`m sure the receipt for the re-gas said the strut was tight whatever that means.
It was doing this a bit before the fairly recent last MOT and the o/s/f ball joint was knackered which I hoped would stop when I had it done for the MOT but alas not.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Have you done the internal LHM lube thing yet? I did mine and it made a big difference but the car still creaked and jumped a little when rising, the eventual cure was to soak strips of towelling in gear oil and wrap them round the strut "slider" under the gaiter, now things are smooth.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Have you done the internal LHM lube thing yet? I did mine and it made a big difference but the car still creaked and jumped a little when rising, the eventual cure was to soak strips of towelling in gear oil and wrap them round the strut "slider" under the gaiter, now things are smooth.
Stewart
Cheers for that, now time for me to appear a little dim! Can you please explain in layman`s terms exactly where the strut slider is? I have reasonable mechanical knowledge but I`m not the greatest spannerman in the world!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Bx suspension

Post by cavmad »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Have you done the internal LHM lube thing yet? I did mine and it made a big difference but the car still creaked and jumped a little when rising, the eventual cure was to soak strips of towelling in gear oil and wrap them round the strut "slider" under the gaiter, now things are smooth.
Stewart
Cheers for that, now time for me to appear a little dim! Can you please explain in layman`s terms exactly where the strut slider is? I have reasonable mechanical knowledge but I`m not the greatest spannerman in the world!
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Raise the car up to max height, reach over top of front wheel and slide the corrugated plastic gaiter upwards, when its high enough you will feel the smooth part of the strut going into the body of the strut, the oily towelling needs wrapping around the smooth bit and then pull the gaiter back down.
Stewart :D
TZD 19 TD one of the few
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:Raise the car up to max height, reach over top of front wheel and slide the corrugated plastic gaiter upwards, when its high enough you will feel the smooth part of the strut going into the body of the strut, the oily towelling needs wrapping around the smooth bit and then pull the gaiter back down.
Stewart :D
Cheers, do I then leave the oily towelling in place or just put on for a short while and then remove?
Sorry if that sounds daft!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Leave it on. Knot a strip about 3 cm wide loosely around the shiny part and add a spoonful of LHM.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Knocking noise from front.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello my son had the same thing Drop links he said with great confidence, so did I. They were changed in a flash, well sort of, road test everything fine.
Next day Clunk--clunk. B***s. Silly wheel loose, strut, track rod end no.Nine months before both bottom ball joints had been replaced and one of them had a conciderable amount of play, not just a little bit, the I am going to separate job. I am not so sure about quality control these days, bring back nipples I say. Enough of that I must not get excited.
So perhaps a check on the bottom ball joints might be a good idea.
Cheers.
Geoff.
M

Re: Knocking noise from front.

Post by M »

Geoffrey Gould wrote:bring back nipples I say. Cheers.
Geoff.
I have a pair - seem supurfluous to requirements.

Ahh , heady days going round my BLMC motors with a grease gun. Now all I ever get to use it on is the caravan. It was a shock when I got my first Fraud Fiasco and found no grease points I can tell you, I thought "what will I do with my Sunday mornings now?"
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Knocking noise from front.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Marty well carying on from knocking er knockers how about a bit of nipple polishing?
OK Ile go away now.
Best.
Geoff.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Re: Knocking noise from front.

Post by Vanny »

Marty wrote:
Geoffrey Gould wrote:bring back nipples I say. Cheers.
Geoff.
I have a pair - seem supurfluous to requirements.
I've got two and a half! :P