Rusty sunroof - thoughts?

BX Tech talk
Baldbazza
BXpert

Rusty sunroof - thoughts?

Post by Baldbazza »

So, to try to stop the 'inside rain' in the GT, I've dropped the headlining, separated all the gubbins connected to it, cleared semi-blocked drain tubes, marvelled at the warped mind of whoever invented the incredibly complex yet so-simple sunroof mechanism ... and found rust on the underside of the sunroof. Not entirely unexpected in a 22-year old car but I guess I ought to do something about it.

Now, as I see it, I have 4 options:

1. Slap a bit of Hammerite on it and stick it back together (as the rust holes are under the glass and don't go through to the outside world - yet),

2. Bodge it with Kurust, filler and maybe Hammerite,

3. Get it welded up properly,

4. Replace it.

What do you guys reckon? Any thoughts & ideas appreciated.

Part info:
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You must be a skilled welder if you can do that without cracking the glass.

As its working - you've only got to preserve it. Loads of filler will probably only trap more moisture inside it. I'd clean and paint the visible bit - then inject the rest with Waxoil. The order is important as once you've got waxoil on it you'll never get the paint to stick.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

jeremy wrote:You must be a skilled welder if you can do that without cracking the glass.
I'm not a welder of any sort!!! It would mean taking it somewhere, but it did seem worth considering as the glass must come out somehow...
jeremy wrote:As its working - you've only got to preserve it. Loads of filler will probably only trap more moisture inside it. I'd clean and paint the visible bit - then inject the rest with Waxoil. The order is important as once you've got waxoil on it you'll never get the paint to stick.
Hmm, I'd overlooked Waxoil for some reason... That sounds like a plan. Might dab a bit of rust treatment around first as well.

Unless anyone's got any better ideas?
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

Baldbazza wrote:Unless anyone's got any better ideas?
In my opinion that sunroof has reached end of service life.

Try the wanted section on this forum, and surf Ebay. Even if it is now somewhat a rare item, you never know what pops up on Ebay.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I *might* have a glass in stock, somewhere.....
Where I have no idea, but I should have one..

If I can find one, it's yours mate.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

docchevron1472 wrote:I *might* have a glass in stock, somewhere.....
Where I have no idea, but I should have one..

If I can find one, it's yours mate.
That would be excellent mate. Thanks. :D :D :D

Let me know what you want for it.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

If I can find one mate, it's yours gratis. I've never been big on money, it's all very vulgar.

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

docchevron1472 wrote:If I can find one mate, it's yours gratis. I've never been big on money, it's all very vulgar.
Great, cheers Chris :D :D :D . Maybe if I donated some bottles of brown liquid to the cause instead...? ~ale~

Genuinely no rush but if you were to stumble across it by Tues, I'll be passing close to Stroud on my way down from North Wales. But if not, it's always a nice evening's drive!
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Ahhhhhh, brown liquid, music to my stomach!

I'll be working all next week (evenings) but I'll see if I can find offending item tomorrow, can always leave it somewhere prominant!

I'll let you know tomorrow eve mate.

Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

docchevron1472 wrote:Ahhhhhh, brown liquid, music to my stomach!

I'll be working all next week (evenings) but I'll see if I can find offending item tomorrow, can always leave it somewhere prominant!

I'll let you know tomorrow eve mate.
Brill. Thanks mate.
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have a complete sunroof panel in the loft.

If you can collect from it from Sunny High Wycombe, it is yours for a few beers.

In case you can get here easier than the doc's.

Mike
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Very kind of you Mike :D . If the good Doc can't find one expect a PM!
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Found 1!
Not perfect, but perfectly serviceable for years.
The only drawback is that the slides are still attached to it as the screws are seized solid, so they'll need cutting off.
But the roof itself is ok!
I had intended to chop the slides off for you, but I just didn't have time, sorry mate, it sounds like a lame excuse, but I really didn't.
Anyway, it's tucked away ready for collection, Kitch knows where the place is, but I'll PM you with details and location of the glass should you want it.

Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Excellent! Thanks Chris. I'll test out your comprehensive route instructions late Tues afternoon. :) :) :)
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

Mission to retrive the sunroof glass successfully completed. Grateful thanks for your help Doc - you're a scholar and a gentleman sir! I've substituted a different type of glass in the place where you left it - hope it's to your taste...

No problem finding it with the superb route instructions you sent. I was particularly partial to "it's bumpy and usually stinks of cow shit, so if it doesn't, you're on the wrong road". I was on the right road. It did... Have you ever thought of becoming a travel writer?

Very impressed with the bus collection. Takes me back to an earlier anorak. Now, if only there were a few Lodekkas and a K5 or two...
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT