Return to Les Scrapyards

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Return to Les Scrapyards

Post by toddao »

Last week we popped over to the French scrappy again - it's only two hours drive.
Got there, and the guy said : No BXs. Sure enough they'd cleaned out the six that were there in June. Took two hours to find the other scrappy asking directions in bad French. Was worth the hunt, quite a few BXs and other things :

GTI and Turbo diesel.

Meharis

H vans

and my favourite, 1963 Gaelette van

on the way back checked out a bunker on the Maginot Line, still bearing the scars of the German assault in June 1940

our Merc by the Rhine on the way home

a good outing and I got all the bits I needed beers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Ooh, a 608D?????

Or is it the little brother?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

It's a 406D. Very underpowered when it comes to hills. First gear and a snake of cars behind. It used to be a furniture van just for town use before getting converted to a camper 30 years ago. It's as tough as old boll$$$ though and once you get where you're going, you're nicely set up.
Todd

DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The picture of the Meharis also has 2 C25 panel vans in it, one of which is particularly rare as it's a SWB high-top. I could do with the doors from it, as I'm desperately trying to find a pair of high-top rear doors for mine. Plus there's a load of other LHD stuff on C25 I could do with getting hold of....

Ho hum. Trip to france needed.
this might be a signature
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

surely they arent scrapping that DS?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

And there's a Mk1 BX behind the DS. Quite an interesting scrapyard, I'd say!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Blimey, 1 406D, aint seen one of them over here for years!!

Looks like it's in good condition that mate.

Weekend trip to France David??

You could peruse scrapper's, I could purchase booze / fags!!

Win / Win!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I can drive when your too p***ed and I get free fuel hoorah!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, it was a good scrappy - very spacious and clean and the cars laid out as though in a car park. I don't know about the DS - it looked as though it had been sat for a while. He seems to have quite a few complete vehicles, perhaps waiting for offers to buy whole.

Doc, the Merc is in pretty good nick ( don't look too closely) - just passed its TÜV (MOT) so got another two years. I've driven it to UK three times - it goes well through flat places like most of Belgium (excepting The Ardennes!)and N.France (also likes Amsterdam!) but, as I said, hills kill it and it's no fun going at 20kmh on the Autobahn! So we've stayed local this year.

I would offer to bring some parts over - like those doors you need David, but I won't be coming back til next summer ( The National?).
By the way, saw a lot of BXs driving around in France, including a Mk.1
TRD packed full of fogies, oblivious to their style icon..
Todd

M

Post by M »

Does he not realise its free listings weekend this weekend on ebay uk motors?
Make a packet with those H vans alone I would have thought.
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Philip chidlow wrote:And there's a Mk1 BX behind the DS.
Sorry Phil,

But I don't think it is. Easily mistaken but I don't think so.

Can anyone see better to confirm?

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

toddao wrote:
Doc, the Merc is in pretty good nick ( don't look too closely) - just passed its TÜV (MOT) so got another two years. I've driven it to UK three times - it goes well through flat places like most of Belgium (excepting The Ardennes!)and N.France (also likes Amsterdam!) but, as I said, hills kill it and it's no fun going at 20kmh on the Autobahn! So we've stayed local this year.

I would offer to bring some parts over - like those doors you need David, but I won't be coming back til next summer ( The National?).
By the way, saw a lot of BXs driving around in France, including a Mk.1
TRD packed full of fogies, oblivious to their style icon..
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for older Merc commercials. Although I will always hate the 811, evil bloody things.. We've had a few 608 / 709 / 811 buses in the group, and at work, actually all very nice to drive. I loved the old 608D we had. It was a bus convertion, but all they did was cut hole's in the side and stuck some windows in, cut a REALLY big hole in the front for the platform doors and threw some seats in it. Slow, but really fun to drive.

I reckon a weekend away in France eating / drinking / scrapyarding / drinking / getting duty free / drinking is a great idea!

Oh, and yes, you must base your next holiday around the national Todd. Since a few of us hardcore drinkers beat the record set at the national at Stratford this year, next year we'll need all the help we can get to keep drinking til gone 0500!! :wink:

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Gruss Gott

Wherabouts exactly is that French scrappy and what is it called. I presume its in Alsace somewhere ?

I am going up that way shortly and would like to pay it a visit too.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

m_2975 wrote:
Philip chidlow wrote:And there's a Mk1 BX behind the DS.
Sorry Phil,

But I don't think it is. Easily mistaken but I don't think so.

Can anyone see better to confirm?

Michael
If you mean the grilleless car without front wheels its a Nissan Sunny.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Gruß Jaba, you must be in the South of France then and you're right, it is in Alsace in the lovely town of Colmar. So far haven't seen its medieval architecture - only it's industrial estates and scrappies!

The name of the Scrappy is Auto Casse Fischer/Garage Fischer ( I think he's got some Hun in him because he speaks German) it's next door to Auto Casse Robert ( right miserable sod) and I don't know the name of the road but it's near the old army barracks and if you can speak a good French you'll find it. Monsieur/ Herr Fischer is a friendly sort and lets you wander as you please.

Where are you living then? If you're ever passing this way and need a proper cup of rosie..

p.s in response to Marty's ebay idea. I think Fischer is an old school cash guy judging by the roll he dragged out!
Todd