RADIATORS BX 1.7 TZD

Anything about BXs
kermit the frog
BXpert

RADIATORS BX 1.7 TZD

Post by kermit the frog »

HI EVERYBODY
KERMIT THE FROG HERE CAN ANYONE OUT THERE IN BX LAND HELP ME TO FIND A NEW RADIATOR FOR MY NOW 281K BX 1.7 TZD
IT HAS A BLOCKED ONE AT THE MOMENT AND I DON'T WANT TO DO THE HEAD GASKET IF I CAN HELP IT.

I LIVE IN WORTHING WEST SUSSEX AND NEED MY BX TO BE AS SWEET AS A NUT AGAIN

REGARDS KERMIT :roll:
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

There's really NO NEED TO SHOUT!

Other than being blocked, is there anything else wrong with your current radiator?

I've often found that simply removing and flushing a radiator with an active chemical cleaner will bring new life to a radiator. If the fins appear good and it doesn't leak, it's got to be worth a try.
this might be a signature
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I found a ripper way to cheaply and very effectively clean out a radiator core.

Buy a bottle of cheap white vinegar. Pour into the radiator and let soak. Then after an overnight soak, carefully pour some bi-carb of soda in there watching you don't get a shower in the process. Swirl back and forth as it foams up, then pour more bi-carb into the one open end and seal just the one end off.
The pressure generated by the foaming action forces the vinegar/bi-carb mix through the core and out the other end with a fair amount of pressure taking all the dislodged crap with it.
On a TZi radiator, I managed to get around 1/2 a cupful of crap in one hit and the car has never run cooler.
Flush out with fresh water when you've finished. Under no circumstances, seal the entire radiator off at any stage as it may just blow on you, but if the principles of backflushing are observed, you'll find it a very cheap and effective way to delouse a grotty system.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
kermit the frog
BXpert

bx radiator

Hi
Thanks to all of you for your solutions to the radiator problem.
I have decided to give the white vinegar and bicarb a go but if this is not fully successful i will treat my bx to a new one!

Appologies for shouting i am quite new to this E mail thingy.
Just one other thing i noticed that it is 25 years of the bx is anything on or have i missed it all?

all the best regards kermit the frog( phil b) :oops:
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

M & C Lockwood in Bradford have them - I got one shipped to Australia for my TZD - think it was around 100GBP plus shipping.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Kermit wrote:Just one other thing i noticed that it is 25 years of the bx is anything on or have i missed it all?
Ya missed it!
kermit the frog
BXpert

radiator problem

Hi

Thanks to all of you for your help tried the white vinegar and bicarb and you would not believe the CRAP! that came out mind you 280k worth of it I suppose it was to be expected(don't know if its ever had a new rad)
Refitted rad with new fan switch checked it out while rad was soaking and found it was knackered (cycled to citroen dealer and picked up a new one).
All appears to be hunky dory again .

Will try m&c lockwood and maybe buy one anyway as it will probably need one in the future.
Cant let the old girl go to the great scrap yard in the sky just yet.

While i had the rad out i did a bit of cleaning under the bonnet and found some metal moth infestation (rust) looks like i will have to dust off the mig welder again.

Thanks to you all once again you have saved my bacon

regards kermit :D
Bazza
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bazza »

CYCLED to the shops...??? CYCLED...?? What a Legend. Welome to this brilliant Forum Kermy.

Thanks to AlanS for the radiator science.. Sounds like what I am looking for. My $99.00, ($30 quid) '85 BXGT looks like it has never had a clean-out OR any antifreeze / Inhibitor. I drained the rad last week-end and the water was thick with orange crud. Bit lika a mandarin soup. (You should TRY that...!!) I used the filler hole for a hose and opened the bleed screw on the left and ran the hose with good pressure for over f minutes. the water got cleaner but running the engine produced much more Soup. (Mind you, the engine run quietly..sort of muffled...lol)
I was gonna attak it with flushing agents this week-end and Alans timely tip will be just the ticket. Thanks.
bazza
NZ's self promoted DS Registrar. (over 933 listed)
1970 D SPECIAL...
1988 BX TRS Auto
1988 BX TRi
1990 BX TZD TURBO ESTATE.
1989 BX TRi Auto
1985 BX GT...Manual.
1991 BX TZD Saloon in white. LOVE it.
kermit the frog
BXpert

CYCLED to the shops...??? CYCLED...?? What a Legend. Welome to this brilliant Forum Kermy.

Thanks Bazza
But i am no legend i had to sit down for an hour when i got back and it was only 5 miles so i dont think i am quite ready for the tour de france.
Maybe more training. :!:

Regards Kermit
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Bazza wrote:CYCLED to the shops...??? CYCLED...??
No way would I have cycled, that'd kill me.
I'd have taken the bus:

My own bus naturally! :wink:
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kermit the frog
BXpert

docchevron1472 wrote:
Bazza wrote:CYCLED to the shops...??? CYCLED...??
No way would I have cycled, that'd kill me.
I'd have taken the bus:

My own bus naturally! :wink:
Hi Bazza
I would have taken the bus but although its only a five mile round trip you need a mortgage to travel by public transport here.
Thats why i need my ecconomical and comfortable BX back and running again.

From my house to the citroen dealer a return fare is over £3.30 or
$9.90NZ a gallon of diesel is £4.40 $13.2NZ ( thats if the exchange rate is 3 $nz to£1 )
and i average over 50mpg even around town (i drive like the ageing old man i am ha ha!)
So you can see why i cycled.

I used to work for one of you fellow countrymen a Mr Dick Bennetts
at West Surrey Racing where i was a sub assembly and tyre technician
on the race team.

Regards Kermit
Bazza
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Bazza »

Hey Greenie, that was doc that suggested that he would have taken the (his OWN) bus.... probably that nice white job in the pic. Seems that ya gotta have another means of transport if you own a Citroen.... Preferably another Citroen of course but if you have a BUS at your disposal, then you can gather up other citroen folk on their way to the Spare Parts division....

Yup, three bucks to the pound or near enough which made my $99.00 BXGT a brilliant buy. Going to try Alans radiator clearout trick in the morning. TWO bottles of white vinegar and a huge packet of baking Soda. Watch out for the eruption in the Eastern sky, just before the F1 hits the screen. Corse, it could be Kiwi's mountain erupting rather than my radiator but the result will be the same.

Dont get me started on motorsport. My passion. (apart from Citroens of course,) and travelling to race Meetings (IN one of the fleet) keeps me poor but happy. What sort of race Team Greenie?

Pssssst Like Kiwi, I am stranded here in Paradise, 12,000 miles from home. Pinner and Hemel Hempstead were my stamping grounds and I even went to school with that Regie Dwight lad that plays the piano. Hah, He might be able to sing and play but I bet he dont know the first thing about Citroens... Wonder where HE went wrong......
Cheers.
NZ's self promoted DS Registrar. (over 933 listed)
1970 D SPECIAL...
1988 BX TRS Auto
1988 BX TRi
1990 BX TZD TURBO ESTATE.
1989 BX TRi Auto
1985 BX GT...Manual.
1991 BX TZD Saloon in white. LOVE it.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Hi Bazza, sorry Doc

The race team i used to work for from 1998-2002 was West Surrey Racing and they are still in the BTCC British Touring Car Championship.
I worked with Nigel Mansell and Tom Kristensen among others.

That dwight bloke you were on about i think he could probably buy citroen outwrite with his pocket money

Regards kermit

PS I must get my eyes tested