Hello Everyone...

Anything about BXs
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

You must be our youngest owner member yet, well done!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

17? Good lad! I got mine when I was 16 and spend nearly a year cleaning it and doing the mittle jobs needed before I passed my test. Once I did, I ragged it so hard into the floor I broke it terminally within 3 months, but it was meant to be!
I actually gave it away to a mate who had it as his first car. It last a year in his ownership while enduring similar raggage before eventually going to the great scrapyard in the sky. It was beige too :lol:

I'll look out for the carb etc for ya. The carb may need an overhaul kit, but they all do by now.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I almost remember being 17, god I feel old.....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

My current BX is 17 years old :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
millbanksunclub
Confirmed BX'er

Post by millbanksunclub »

Hello Matt welcome nice to see you hooked on good car's
You are never more than 20 feet from a nudist.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Matt...

As a bit of advice looking at your position from an insurers point of view; do NOT modify your car in any way. If they get wind of it they will cancel your insurance and/or charge you an utter fortune for the privilege.

Granted, the chances are that they wouldn't find out, but if someone else smacked into you, being the younger driver you would automatically be viewed with suspicion, and your car would be gone over with a fine toothcomb. If they find you've modified it and not declared the modification, you will be in a whole heap of trouble.

Just don't take the risk. Drive the car as is for a couple of years, build up some no-claims-discount and then get the car you really want.
this might be a signature
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Fair point about modifying, but in fairness:

The difference visually between a, AX GT carb and a BX carb is slim. Everything still looks the same and the engineer really wouldn't know what they're looking for. If it had twin carbs with four chrome trumpets pointing skywards, maybe.

Secondly, the whole un-declared thing is really overcooked in general. For every car we have in where it turns out the policy holder hasn't declared something, the worst the insurance company will do is increase his/her excess and ask for the difference there and then. Obviously it's all relative, and fitting a twin-turbo'd V6 in the back would probably not be viewed kindly. But a carb and inlet fitted to one old Citroen from another old Citroen really isn't going to bother an engineer/assesor. Firstly they probably won't even open the bonnet, they'll just total loss or C.I.L it, and secondly if they did open the bonnet they really wouldn't notice the difference!

You could declare any mods, thats at your own descretion. If it was something that genuinely could make the car a much higher risk, then I would. I used to have a car which had lowered suspension....if I crashed and hit someone, the suspension would be a fairly major scapegoat for the insurers/third party. I therefore declared it only top find they wanted an extra £22 a year. I wasn't going to argue with that!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
millbanksunclub
Confirmed BX'er

Post by millbanksunclub »

Insurance its a funny thing been trying to get some for my son he is 20 not passed his test yet but soon we hope, so we had a think and a ask about what was going to be cheap for him insurance wise we came up with a v..... nova i cant bring my self to type that word, he likes the look and they do have a bit of street cred with his mates.
Now how much just for him? £1200 3rd party HELL
he thinks thats not too bad.
So just for fun i ask how much for him on the 2.0i XM and what do you know only £1300 now the only question to ask him was did he want to drive a 1300 rattle box of a nova with wind up windows no elec seats, mirrors,sun roof etc or the XM with elec everything and a fun hand/foot brake thing.
His words and all his mates that have been sitting in his new car all weekend COOL !!
There you have it XM,s are cool :shock:
You are never more than 20 feet from a nudist.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Thanks for all the comments, and I can see where you are coming from regarding insurance, but I don't think it will be much if an issue.

I think it would be a bit of a summer project, but would probably be a good idea to start preparing now...