Towing...

Anything about BXs
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Vanny wrote:remember now that the BX was the Caravan Clubs tow car of the year for FIVE years running, and the reason my dad (and thus I ) have ever even seen the inside of a BX!
I had that in the back of my mind as well, but given the answers in this thread I didn't post, thinking maybe I was thinking of Xantiae instead?

Anyone got refs?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Forgot about that Vanny. Didn't we tow a valver on a trailer with your valver with a TD engine in it?
Vauxhall apologist.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

The BX must have been very well regarded as a towcar as I recall in the caravan press at the time of the demise of the BX much outpouring of grief and frantic hand wringing. The advice was to get a new BX whilst you still could if you enjoyed your towing...

The demise of the BX was seen like the death of a very dear friend to them.

I've never towed with a BX (actually I've never driven a BX - but would love to, any offers?) but I have towed a caravan many, many miles behind a Xantia and that is one very competent towcar. Strangely, I've never heard of it having any particular praise amongst caravanners and it never seemed to be able to take on the mantle of the BX in hardened caravanners eyes...
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:remember now that the BX was the Caravan Clubs tow car of the year for FIVE years running
This is true, but when you also look at some of the other cars that have been "Tow car of the year" you start to realise that the award is more than just how stable the car is.

If memory serves, they make use of Mira's test areas, and do a lot more than just tow the caravan. They rate on things like ease of hook-up, performance, braking, how well the vehicles handbrake will hold, comfort of towing arrangement etc.etc.etc. In many of these tests I can well imagine that the BX performed particularly well due to its unique design.

Plus of course caravan club are talking about towing an 800kg caravan, and not a lot more.

There's also the aspect of vehicle cost. One of the things taken into consideration would have been the new cost of the car. I can absolutely guarantee that a CX Safari is a far superior tow vehicle to a BX, but it won't have won because it was a remarkably expensive car in it's day.

The BX is an excellent all-round compromise, hence the award. After all, there's no way you could say that a BX is a better towcar than a Land-Rover Discovery, and yet the BX got the award.....
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

DavidRutherford wrote: there's no way you could say that a BX is a better towcar than a Land-Rover Discovery

The BX is a better tow car than a Land Rover Discovery on the grounds of reliability :lol: :roll:
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Afew years ago when i was going through a mad period i bought a small 1 tonne digger and was going to do landscape gardening.

I had a small four wheel trailer with ramps and my TZD used to tow that no problem at all.

I must admit it wasn't the fastest thing on the road but it felt safe and towed as straight as a die.
I think load distribution is the key to good towing.

I dug out the foundations for a mates garage and move approx 75 cubic metres of earth.
Dug out 3 fish ponds and cleared 3 tonne's of crap.

Then sold it with the trailer for twice what i payed for it.
Gave up the idea of landscape gardening and went to work in the british touring car championship instead. :idea:

Regards Kermit :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Marty
That looks like a fine example of a TZD on the trailer just had to pop outside to see if mine was still there.
Then i realised it's got front wing's on it mine hasn't at the moment. :lol:
Only joking mine cleans up well too.

Regards Kermit :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

I have the same book - but with the Xantia which you can have if you like.