Economy

Anything about BXs
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

latest mpg

Post by pindimar »

latest check 31 mpg - mostly country running - freeway for the most part. So not as good as usual and clearly, the injectors are looking good as to culprits- as it's much worse in heavy traffic than on the open road??
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Eugh, I pity you poor blokes who cant get hold of diesels over there in the lucky country, I get between 40 and 50 miles per gallon (imperial) out of the TZD, if I keep the thing under 60 mph I can get nearer 60.
Stewart :D
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Economy - this is an oxymoron when applied to TZi

Post by Jaba »

My TZi estate was equally thirsty. It gave 25 - 30 (5.5 - 6.5 L/100Ks)with give and take driving and the most I squeezed out on a long run was 32mpg (7 L/100).

I was planning to take off the cat and refit just the lambda but some old boy wrote the car off for me before I had the pleasure(?) of doing this.

As far as a TZD estate goes - mine gives steady 42 to 45 (9.3 - 9.9) depending on usage. My hatch is ALWAYS 5mpg better than this.

This is a bit sad really - the motoring equivalent of talking about the weather.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I get around 30mpg out of my GTI which must be very similar to what you should be getting.

I get high 30's on a gentle motorway run though.
Over and out from me
pindimar
BXpert

Talking about the weather

Post by pindimar »

...well...maybe...but when paying the amount that we are paying for petrol now, it becomes significant! At least on my wage, it is.

Your TZi economy does seem interesting, though. Was it an automatic or manual? 32 on motorway / freeway conditions seems a little low compared to te 35-38 that I was getting in such conditions.

I have the injector cleaning kits that Alan suggests but haven't got around to doing this yet although a mechanic I mentioned it to said that they need to be cleaned under pressure with some machine which blows the much out and uses some special cleaning solution, so maybe I'll get a mechanic to do that after all. Then we'll see if the economy returns to what it was. The last check I made yesterday, around town economy had gone back up to 25 mpg, at least.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The TZi was never super frugal. Yes, I keep long term records for fill ups - and it was a manual. The long term average for long runs (i.e. several hundred miles at a stretch) was 32mpg.

My current GTi with a modified, higher 5th gear gives 37.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
pindimar
BXpert

32 mpg

Post by pindimar »

yeah, well, 32 - 37 mpg sounds healthy enough! It will be interesting to see if my TZi manual returns to better frugality once the injector kits are done,

Thanks to all for the information about your economy, though.

It gives a better idea of what one shoulld expect, after all
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I'll tack a line onto this one out of interests sake.

I have just done a TZi auto over for a friend of the family's.
I did the injector kits as well as the fluid in the transmission and an oil change, hydraulics flush and bleed and a general going over.
When finished it went pretty well, but complained that it still pinged occasionally.
I tried to make it do it, but no way would it, until I took it in for a muffler and on the way home hi a hill and got stuck behind some old fart in a 4WD and away she went...pinging it's head off.
Took it home and saw the son who does the EFi systems as a hobby/part time business. He attached a Lambda probe to the exhaust, got me to hold it at various speeds whilst he took readings and then pinged the top off the AFM and started adjusting something. After a couple of test drives, pinging all gone and performance quite crisp.
The adjustment he made can apparently cause a loss of a bit of the economy at times, but in this case the increase in power and flexibility was so great that I believe it may actually have improved it.
If anyone is interested in what he did to get rid of the pinging, I can ask and let you know.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
pindimar
BXpert

ping pong

Post by pindimar »

yes Alan

It would interesting to get that information, if it were possible

My TZi 19 pings every now and then - never used to

The injectors are being done tomorrow, though, so it will be interesting to see what difference it makes
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I'll find out a bit more as soon as I can, but at this stage I'll tell you what bit I saw; he set a clamp on the end of the tailpipe and has a Lambda sensor connected to a meter on it and simply adjusted the AFM until it was showing the recommended air/fuel ratio at around 1500 - 2000 rpm.
Test drove it and then he wound it up or down from there. Spoke to the lady today and she is over the moon; the car has never gone as well.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
pindimar
BXpert

Post injector kit post

Post by pindimar »

There's good new and bad news regarding the injector kit work.

The good news is that after the injectors were done the car seemed to have more power at lower speeds, quite noticeable.

The bad news is that around-town economy has risen, but marginally, from 21 mpg to 23 mpg.

It may be a more significant difference on the freeway perhaps; time will tell.

Greg (Pindimar)