Forum problems

Anything about BXs
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've had that a couple of times now, but find that typing the web address in again and starting from scratch from the front page resumes normality immediatley..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

I must confess I've never seen that one, either on here or the FCF :?

I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Whatever, it's not the databases causing it. If the link goes down you get a load of text that basically talks a lot of waffle to tell you it can't connect to me :lol:

One possible cause may be that you just happen to be active when your ISP decides to renew your dynamic IP address with a new and different one. That'll confuse the forum until it cottons on and could well give the symptom. It'll explain why I don't ever see it as I'm on a static IP.

Keep these reports coming in please. Every little helps to keep everything forum-wise nice and ship-shape.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Could be, but my IP is static, I think..
I'm on broadband so I rather assume it's static?

Either way it's not a great hassle to start again from the front page every now and then...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

In the world of computers we are still at the stage when ancient man knocked the edges of a chunk of wood and realised it would roll down hill. He hadn't then put an axel on it and a horse in front.

We're gonna get all these kinds of glitches because nothing in computer land works properly yet. We've all been lead to expect too much of our little boxes. But that's advertising for you. We're not meant to tell truth from fiction.
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

My IP is static until I turn my modem off and back on. I don't get dynamic IP changes once a day like users of other ISPs do. So I usually have the same IP for months...

Anyways, this only happened today and never before. Aside from that, the forum runs great. Much faster than it used to. Thanks again for that :)
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i got the same here yesterday, but within minutes i got a 'the topic you've subscribed to has new posts' email, clicked the link and it was fine again. I deffinately have a static IP address (TelewestBB). The fault i'm sure is not with the database but the web hosting its self, i get the impression it wants to know my details before letting me anywhere near (and hence asking for authorisation) and for what ever can't get enough info. I also wonder that as we all seem to have received the problme at the same time, if the fault is down the the web servers owners pissing about with it (as they inevitably do!)
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

I'm getting reports of some users seeing a windows login box appeearing against a white background occasionally. I've seen this a few times recently and saw it on occasion before the database move. This has nothing to do with the forum PHP software and everything to do with Windows. As far as I know the forum is hosted on a Windows 2003 Virtual Server. A Virtual Server is where a number of copies of Windows Server 2003 all run completely independantly on one powerful server platform; all running instances actually sharing the same hardware. That it works as well as it does is something of a miracle!

This problem is often accompanied by a 502 - Bad Gateway error which basically means the proxy interface between you and the server proper has thrown a wobbly and maybe inadvertantly directed your request to the wrong server or the wrong area of the right server; one that demands authentication by means of a login box.

Whilst I'm not 100% certain of how it is all configured down at Webfusion, I assume that all incoming HTTP is processed by a front-end gateway proxy that routes it to the right virtual server. A clue here is that both the BXC and FCF use a common IP address and a bit of cleverness is needed to work out if you want the BXC or the FCF. Unsurprisingly, this does get itself confused from time to time. As Terry so rightly points out:
Terry wrote:We're gonna get all these kinds of glitches because nothing in computer land works properly yet. We've all been lead to expect too much of our little boxes

And from the big, clever boxes as well Terry :lol:

I don't think there is an easy or solid fix for this and it is something we're going to have to live with. Fortunately it is a transient problem for the most part and a couple of refreshes or closing your web browser and restarting it brings about relief. I find switching between the FCF and BXC seems to fix it as well.

This is all blind speculation on my part, I may be well off the mark but that's my theory anyway :roll:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Terry
BXpert

Post by Terry »

As I tell some of my more computer savvy customers (there aren't many of them) we're all chasing electrons around the universe, and since we can't even prove their existence, it's only a guess they exist in the first place. So my answer is as good as any Bill Gates will give you, and probably nearer the truth. What's more, I don't charge as much.

I know a little about server side works Citrojim, and sounds to me you right on the nose. That any of this stuff works at all is still a miracle to me, and I make a living from it!

My life long time friend from way back in school is Chinese. His father had a restaurant in Soho. Whenever the much revered ancient gentleman did his books it was on an abacus. Believe me he was quicker and more accurate than any hand held calculator.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Terry wrote:we're all chasing electrons around the universe, and since we can't even prove their existence, it's only a guess they exist in the first place.

:? :?: You can see their effect on everyday items without getting into deep physics. On a CRT TV/Monitor screen it is the beam of electrons hitting the screen coated in phosphors that creates the light! :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Just wanted to drop a note that I got that error again and this time it was more persitent. I wasn't able to access any bxclub.co.uk url I had in my url history as I always got that same previously mentioned "authentication method" error for more than a minute. I also tried accessing FCF, where I haven't been for weeks, and got the same error.

The only exception was the plain url www.bxclub.co.uk where I got this error
HTTP/1.1 New Session Failed
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.