Is there any hope for my paint?

Anything about BXs
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hair dryer on plastics only works on certain types of plastic, and certain types of ABS plastic. Its all about chemistry, but heating it up alloys black bits to float to the top (kinda), anyways, the BX bumpers are ABS with pigment and not true coloured plastic so it dont work. Wing mirrors however it works a treat!

I used to have really dirty bumpers on the 19rd (ivory) that where impossible to clean. Used all manner of things, hair dryer, neat acid, bleach all kinds of strange chemicals, only thing that worked in the end was Dr Beechams oven cleaner. Naff on ovens, great on that particular bumper!
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I can't see how any of the three types of BX bumper (early "grainy plastic - unpainted, later smoother plastic - unpainted, and painted 16v/Hurricane fibreglass) would react well to that, unless the aim is to melt an outer layer of plastic.

However you might quite easily end up with a permanent wave....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Toddman
BXpert

paint

Post by Toddman »

There are a few ways to bring back the colour but really depends on the current state of the paint.
If the finish is pretty smooth and not scratched and scuffed I would suggest just using the Meguires 3-step process which is basically a clean/gentle cut, polish and wax but they will happily sell you all 3 bottles and I rate most of the Megs products very highly, anyone with leather who has not used their Aloe leather products is missing out until I tried them I was still stuck on AG but I prefer Megs but still use AG for their vinyl and rubber care.

If the paint is a bit rough and it looks like it will stand a decent cut then Farcle G11 is the stuff to go for then deep polish and wax of your choice.

If things are not really all that bad just dig out some AG cuting polish followed by a good wax.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Red Estate

Post by Red Estate »

I have a set of detailing kit at home. If you are anywhere near putney london. I could help.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

If that paint has gone totally matt, it suggests it's had a bad respray in the past. You could try flatting it with some 1000 wet and dry and some 3M fast cut afterwards, then a proper mop. Gotta be careful not to burn the paint, and if it's cheap paint then that'll be hard.

Personally, I think that kind of finish warrants a blow over having rubbed it back first.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

Adrian (the bodywork expert here) compound polished Magoo for me, and he was horribly pink. Forty quid and he shone like a ruby afterwards. But you HAVE to keep up with the waxing, unlike me... beginning to go pink again... But for the year I wasn't at Uni a wax a week really kept the red vibrant.

Has anyone tried the new Turtle Wax Ice stuff? No white marks and high shine with barely any effort - is this possible?
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Charlotte wrote:Has anyone tried the new Turtle Wax Ice stuff? No white marks and high shine with barely any effort - is this possible?
Yes.

And no, it isn't possible.

The best results I've had are with coloured t-cut and coloured wax, followed by maguire's spray wax. And an electric buffer.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Charlotte
BXpert

Post by Charlotte »

I'll have to try that - next week's shopping list! Thankee Mr Chidlow!
Bride of Stinkwheel
http://weaselsemark.carbonmade.com

Citroen BX St Tropez
Still not over H592 AGW "Hugo" TZD Turbo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't forget before and after pics :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip chidlow wrote:Don't forget before and after pics :D
Where are your before & after pics then? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Way2go wrote:
Philip chidlow wrote:Don't forget before and after pics :D
Where are your before & after pics then? :wink:
**** off

:wink: :D

Well actually I've already posted the after. Here's the before. Doubt it'll illustrate that well, though. The bonnet and roof were pink. And those aren't all clouds reflected on the bonnet as it was well patchy.I didn't have anyone remind me to take pictures before and after when I did polish the car. Should've done I guess.

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

That goes back a bit doesn't it? :?

Was that the last time you polished a car? :shock: :wink: :lol:

(Must get round to polishing mine again :wink: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

C'mom Way2go. It was the last time I polished a RED car. And that's what we're talkin' about isn't it? I'm just offering advice. Charlotte seems happy to listen to our suggestions.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

No need to get 'Imperial' Philip! Times change and with them, the appropriate products that are 'value for money'. T-cut has changed according to info earlier in this thread:
Vanny wrote:you've not used the newer available T-cut then DLM? Its gone very soppy and couldn't get chocolate off a childs face! Absolutley rubbish. I've got some T-cut from my dad which was bought early 90's now that stuff is brilliant and will get anything off anything.

I'd aim towards a decent modern cutting compound designed for polisher such as Farecellas G3, good replacement for T-cut
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Whatever :roll: