Prototype BX

Anything about BXs
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

That engine is interesting. I can see a fair number of similarities (and a number of differences) between it and the Alfa-Romeo Water-cooled flat four as fitted to the Alfasud, Alfasprint and Alfa 33. That was a fabulous flat engine and had a number of design aspects that I think are much better than other flat engines (like the fact that it has a separate sump, one-piece block and overhead cams).

I often think it would be nice to fit a transaxle and a 6-cylinder longitudinal engine to a CX. Only problem is what to use. Only engine/gearbox combo I can think of would come from VAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to put a VAG engine/box into a Citroen.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote:The CX had indeed been intended to have a flat 6 aircooled engine. It would have finished the family of cars at the time: A-series with a flat twin. G series with a flat 4 and the CX with a flat 6.
And what a range that would have been! Great shame the flat 6 air cooled engine never graced the CX.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote: I often think it would be nice to fit a transaxle and a 6-cylinder longitudinal engine to a CX. Only problem is what to use. Only engine/gearbox combo I can think of would come from VAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to put a VAG engine/box into a Citroen.
I think the production engine I'd like most under the bonnet would be an 1980s Audi 5-cylinder turbo...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

DavidRutherford wrote:I often think it would be nice to fit a transaxle and a 6-cylinder longitudinal engine to a CX. Only problem is what to use. Only engine/gearbox combo I can think of would come from VAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to put a VAG engine/box into a Citroen.
Renault 30 PRV V6... as also found in the DeLorean...?

*Runs away quickly*

Mark.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

jonathan_dyane wrote:I think the production engine I'd like most under the bonnet would be an 1980s Audi 5-cylinder turbo...
I've thought that. I very briefly owned a VW Passat with a non-turbo version of that engine, and it was brilliant. When I first got the XM I remember thinking how much nicer it would have been with that engine.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mnde wrote:Renault 30 PRV V6... as also found in the DeLorean...?
Yuck! A 90 degree V6. The PRV V engine was designed as a V8, and then had 2 cylinders lopped off it. It just doesn't work properly.

Plus I'd be looking for a Turbodiesel.

The idea of a 5-cyl turbo engine is nice, but the CX engine bay would only just accept a 4-cyl engine longitudinally. A straight-5 engine is out of the question. Even in the Audi it practically sticks out through the grille, and means the radiator is pushed to one side.

I'd love a flat-6 turbodiesel engine, but to my knowledge one has never been made. Subaru are looking at the possibility of flat-4 and flat-6 TD engines for their cars, but they won't be available cheap for about another decade.
this might be a signature
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

DavidRutherford wrote: I'd love a flat-6 turbodiesel engine, but to my knowledge one has never been made. Subaru are looking at the possibility of flat-4 and flat-6 TD engines for their cars, but they won't be available cheap for about another decade.
Looks like the flat 4 diesel Subaru is available now: http://www.boxerdiesel.com/ Shame Subaru's no longer rust to hasten the process of getting ones hands on the engine...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Over 50 mpg claimed too, stylish and economical! :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'm not suggesting that it would be suitable for a CX, but this has a supercharger, 6 horizontally opposed pistons (but only 3 cylinders!) I really like their simplicity, and also the sound as this YouTube video shows.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Seems brilliant in it's simplicity! :D A real piece of lateral thinking by it's designers. 8)

Two-stroke technology I suppose would fail emission targets though? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

What a bloody brilliant thread this is turning into!

hhmm, I'm sure I remember a flat 6 diesel lump from somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I remember it in some agricultural machine...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The TS3 is a fabulous piece of design, and sounds sublime. Tad heavy for the CX tho...

Maybe it would fit into one of these however ;-)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

I remember stripping one of those TS3 engines down at college. :roll:
And on of my friends actually remembers working on them in the old commer refuse wagons and some coaches i think as well.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So, the question is: what is that particular GS for?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v