Prototype BX

Anything about BXs
andmcit
BXpert

Post by andmcit »

I seem to recall, but don't take this as fact as my addled brain is totally shot,
this is dated around 78/79? I'll try and dig out my copy of it (I nearly said
cutting, but that'd make me sound really sad when I was a young Citroen
frenzied teenager!). :D

Andrew
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Philip Chidlow wrote:So, the question is: what is that particular GS for?
Conveying 5 people comfortably around the road network?

I duno, I'm pissed!
Good thread though, it's like Sherlock Holmes!

Oh, and I'd like to know for certain aswell.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

jonkw wrote:I'd go so so far to say that this was a CX mule, not BX, and dates from 1973/4.
I suppose without any input from a citroen development person of the time this will remain a mystery. :(

BTW, do any of these 'mules' ever evade the crusher at the end of the development phase and escape into the outside world? :? Presumably if this happened they will be worth significant money?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
M

Post by M »

Way2go wrote:BTW, do any of these 'mules' ever evade the crusher at the end of the development phase and escape into the outside world? :? Presumably if this happened they will be worth significant money?
Probably worth more to a rival manufacturer at the time I would imagine and is probably why makers tend to bin / destroy developmental cars - Jaguar shred theirs - nad I do mean shred.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

jonkw wrote:Um, er, to me it's more like a Birotor mule, look at those wheels, they seem like early CX pressed steel ones. As we know, Birotor used CX frt subframe and modified rear beam to accept 5 stud CX wheels and transverse layout. I'd go so so far to say that this was a CX mule, not BX, and dates from 1973/4. There are shades of CX for me, especially in the undertray area.

Development of BX was a Peugeot project from 79 to 82, why would they use what seems to be a mid 70's GS as the mule?

Original picture source and link?????? I need to know more.
I got the pic from here : http://www.citroen-gs.nl/history/history_gsa.html

I have spent a bit looking at the wheels, and I admit they do look more like CX type five stud wheels than the BX type, but then if this were to be a BX prototype wheel type may not have been finalised; the series 1 Peugeot 305 used three stud wheels.

Must say, I have to disagree on a dates front tho, I know the car in the picture wears a muff, but through the gaps in it it can clearly be seen that the car has the black slatted grille fitted rather than the earlier grey honeycomb type. This strongly suggests that the car is post-'76 (when the grille changed) by which time the CX was current and the birotor had been and gone...

Further, the GS Special was available until 1980, and the BX was launched in 1982. It makes perfect sense to me that a BX 'mule' would be in operation by 1980, and if it were based on a G would wear the door handles, bumpers etc. of the car in the pic.

I'm not saying it *is* a proto-BX, but it could be... Also I was under the impression that the BX shared its floorpan with the 405 rather than the 305, but I could well be wrong.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski