For Charity...

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

For Charity...

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In mulling over the Gumball 3000 charity event, I have looked at the logistics and costs - not to mention the character of the event and decided to investigate doing my own thing for charity.

As some know, I like France and lived there for a while. I did, years ago, wonder what it would be like to drive around 'the Hexagon': That is, it is acknowledged (in France anyway!) France is roughly hexagonal, with three sides on the coast and three sides running along (largely) mountains.

I have looked at a possible route. It is between 2,230 and 2,300 miles in length with the principle way points being: (It doesn't mean driving through the center of all these places, but you get the idea):

(START) Calais - Lille - Metz - Strasbourg (1st STOP) - Mulhouse - (Jura Mountains, passing west of Lake Geneva and Mt Blanc) - Grenoble (Just south of here, 2nd STOP) - Nice - Marseilles - Montpellier - Perpignan (3rd STOP plus one day rest and maintenance stop) - Pau - Biarritz (4th STOP) - Bordeaux - La Rochelle - Nantes - Rennes (5th STOP) - Avranches - Caen - Dieppe - Calais (END)

I appreciate that Brittany is 'left out', but we could include it I guess (does rather spoil the Hexagon shape though... ) :lol:

So it could be done safely in a week. In my BX (whichever one I have at the time!).

The idea would be to finance the trip myself/ourselves (BX crew), allowing £500 for fuel and other car-related stuff, £50 for tolls (although we would avoid doing all of this on boring - but fast - payage roads) and £300+ per head for stop-overs/grub. The crossing would be paid for by Tesco vouchers :-)

I would aim to collect sponsorship to the tune of £2,000 or (much) more (otherwise it's not worth doing) to put to a suitable charity (TBA).

Anyone interested in becoming a member of the crew? Or indeed joining the trip in another BX?!

2010, spring. After the snows have gone from the Pyrenees... and before it gets too hot.

Thoughts?

What to call it? Hex and BX etc. offer possibilities.

BXagon Run?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

I certainly like the idea. Finances permitting, that looks like a cracking good fun holiday. If I could afford to, I'd stretch it to two weeks in order to get some holiday time as well as driving time. Colour me "interested."

Very cheap hotels can be found in France, as can decent, cheap food.

Did you have a charity in mind? I usually favour Womens' Aid and the British Heart Foundation.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ideally I want a charity that is known in France too. Something global/pan-European. That way we can 'collect' en route too...
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Brilliant idea and something I'd love to do :D

The only minor issue is me and a BX - I've not got one. Could I perhaps join in with my Xantia Estate? It'll carry a lot of BX spares!

If we stop in Mulhouse we can pay homage to the Peuget 205GTi. They were made there.

Another issue is a passport. I've not got one at the moment. It expired two years ago :oops:
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Ideally I want a charity that is known in France too. Something global/pan-European. That way we can 'collect' en route too...
Good thinking.

Mulhouse is certainly a good idea - I'm aware of the museum there but I've never been. I'd also like a side jaunt to Nancy, as I've got friends there, which would mean we're not far from Reims and the old racing circuit there (and champagne!)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think a two-car convoy with a two-man crew in each is a good idea, but more BX's could join for pre-arranged stages possibly?

As for Passports, there's plenty of time to sort that out!

Also, I'd take out AA 5* European breakdown cover - oh, and I have a good pair of Walkie-Talkies - always good for on-the-road conferences!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

What about Médecins Sans Frontières?

http://www.msf.org.uk/about_msf_uk.aspx
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

I very much like the idea. If the 16v is finished by then - and it should be done by next spring - I would like to join.
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Here's a map - obviously!

Two routes shown, the red one is my initial one and the blue one is more faithful to the hexagon shape, taking in Brittany this time and taking a trek up into the Pyrenees. A few more miles and not do-able in a week IMO. But who said it had to be a week. 10-days is fine I guess!

stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Also, I'd take out AA 5* European breakdown cover
I'm with First Call (0800 3895151) and have never had any problem with them. Their European cover is £76.95 for a year. I'd never drive anywhere without breakdown cover!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Interesting, Stuart. Thanks for that!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I am really interested in this, in fact even more so than the Scumball 3000 idea. More time to get cash together, plus the fact that I've already met at least some of the participants (albeit briefly). I would be more keen on the idea of several cars going as by then I would hope to have mine ready(!) Also there is more flexibility if and when people drop out, as they are bound to do. A definate yes!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

We need to have a system in place for co-ordinating sponsorship. I will put some thoughts together.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Phil, can I suggest http://www.justgiving.com as one possible way to raise sponsership - it means that anyone who has a credit/debit card can donate and saves quite a bit of hassle collecting money etc.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks. good suggestion, Matt.

In addition I will contact some larger potential sponsors - the most obvious being Citroen, Total, Michelin but, considering they are likely to be difficult to persuade, there are some potential sponsors e.g those associated with England/France such as Living France Magazine, Eurotunnel, The AA etc...

When I have time (after 15th September) I will prepare a better thought-out plan, with timetable, costs and sponsorship requirements.

But I am getting excited about the potential for this plan

:)