For Charity...

Anything about BXs
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

That sounds like quite a tour! Strasbourg and Mulhouse are just over an hour from here so I could come out and give you sandwiches, or if you want to cross the border.. make a pit-stop here - plenty of space and beers , though perhaps that will defeat the French objective by crossing The Rhine!

I will actually be in Mulhouse and surrounds next week doing some scrapyard sniffing though it seems from 'The French Connection' that BXs are not enjoying long tenures anymore in these scrapyards. More money to be had from the cube than from the parts. Had some good tips, keeping my fingers crossed..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

This is the best thing since sliced bread what a great idea and it has got to be done that is for sure.

Count me in 100% i WILL have my trusty BX running again and in tip top condition.

Only ONE SMALL WEEEEEEE! problem do we all have to make our cars amphibious (a la top gear) as i can't see how we can do either of Phil's routes as they both cross the Golfe de Lion and as far as i can remember the last time i was in the south of france that bit of the route was WET :lol: :lol:
We could take in Monaco as it is the only racing circuit that you can drive on the rest of the year free of charge.

There is also Circuit de Paul Ricard is not far off route (not far from Provance) and if we could contact them with what we are proposing to do maybe a track session for all could be arranged.
( make that a stop over there are some good camping areas around there)

Also there is plenty of time to get it properly sorted out and make a huge amount for Charity.

I am wondering, Back to the TOP GEAR thing again do you think they would be interested in taking part. :lol:
Now that would be interesting

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

kermit the frog wrote: I am wondering, Back to the TOP GEAR thing again do you think they would be interested in taking part. :lol:
Now that would be interesting
It has to be worth a shot Kermit. I want to keep my doors free of dents though :lol:

Sounds like an event made for TG and just up their street. Clarkson in a special V6 BX, the Hamster in a valver (naturally) and Cap'n Slow in a BX14?

Get on a track and have The Stig put a BX through its paces :lol:

I'm scheming to acquire a BX for this event. Somehow it just doesn't seem right to do it in a Xant....
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Worth a shot i think it would be a big boost for the BX cause.
And as i said plenty of time for thing's to get organised.
I know a chap who has a workshop near to the topgear studio at Dunsfold park which is not to far from me.
I am going to see him in the next few weeks and if there is any life over at the topgear studio i will poke my head in and ask
got to give it a go.

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

kermit the frog wrote: I am going to see him in the next few weeks and if there is any life over at the topgear studio i will poke my head in and ask
got to give it a go.

Wednesdays are filming days so your best chance if you can access. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

The Lemon Rally or Raid Limon

Post by Jaro »

I'm in, just give me the start dates, one slight problem for me is that I'm already half way round living near Carcassonne. So what about a dual start off and finish point like Calais and Perpignan with a few days gap in between for maybe some beach time meeting up with families flying down etc etc.
And is the year 2010 in anyway significant for Citroen?
Maybe they would be more likely to sponsor if you included all Citroen cars, be nice to travel around with the odd DS goddess floating by.
Anyway if, because of my geographical position, I can be of any help please shout, we do have a very car friendly bar in Alaigne – they have a classic drive by every once in a while and the village has at least 6 Citroen acolytes among maybe another 20 owners. They would do a very good start and finish point with wine and loads of B&B’s. If our village Mayor got involved and he would, then you could get at least local help from Citroen. And he would probably arrange a fete around this with music and wine and beer tents.
If you did change course slightly you’d just cut the corner off with Perpignan and go straight from Alaigne to Foix. So not quite correct hex but –just a suggestion.

Anyway good luck, and avoid august it’s a bit crowded down on the med then.

Cheers
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: The Lemon Rally or Raid Limon

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Jaro wrote:So what about a dual start off and finish point like Calais and Perpignan with a few days gap in between for maybe some beach time meeting up with families flying down etc etc.
Well it is certainly the plan at the moment to divide the route up into 'stages' so that those resident in France or unable to make the whole event can participate in some meaningful way.

2010 has (as far as I know) no real significance with the BX - or Citroen in general, unless some scholar would like to find one!

I wanted to keep this a BX event, as (arguably) it is an emerging 'classic'. The DS et al get enough support/coverage. The BX Club is ostensibly the 'platform' for raising initial interest in this plan so as far as I'm concerned, participating in a BX is essential. I guess if someone wanted to act as 'support vehicle' for the teams (assuming this gets anywhere!) then another Citroen might be OK (C5, Synergie/Evasion, Berlingo, that sort of thing).
(Just a thought).

As for Start dates it's a bit early to be making any firm plans on that front. The more I think about it, May of October are my favoured months, and July/August/September are probably best avoided.

Have a read of the proposed route on the new thread in Events and offer some suggestions (in particualr Alaigne) for possible alternatives/deviations by all means!

PM me your e-mail (this applies to any interested parties) and I can cc you in on any correspondence regarding the details of organisation.

Phil
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Raid Limon

Post by Jaro »

Just noticed that according to you proposed route I'm off the track by only about 30 kms between Perpignan and Foix. But more important than that there's a great mountain route over the Ascou Pailheres near Ax-les-Thermes which at 2000 metres is going to be higher than a lot have done before and that's truly spectacular and that right on your route.
They use this mountain for the Tour de France so if push-bikes can get up there then well some citroens might.
You come down with Eagle shit all over the windscreen though!!.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks for the suggestion. So, if we were to leave the D117 at Axat, climb the mountains (D118), then at Usson-les-Bains take the winding D25 to Aix-les-Thermes and continue on to Foix from there on the N20/E9? Is that what you mean? I've done that before and it's great.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Thanks Way2go.
I was hoping to get there on a Wednesday anyway.
Should be able to try and speak to someone if only a jobs worth. :lol:
Might get through to speak to someone more important. 8)

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Call it the BXagon Challenge and refer to the route being around the edges of France.

As I think we have yet to agree what charity should benefit, mention Just Giving.com. That means there would be a dedicated site for the event to which anyone can donate and the proceeds go to UK charities (that are part of the JustGiving scheme). That's the situation at the moment.

It might be that we - as a Club - choose a single charity. This debate is yet to happen.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Hi Phil

I think that has to be the name it explains in two words the entire thing.
Driving round the very edges of france in a BX will indeed be a challenge.
But a very worthwhile one and hopefully a very successful charity one too

I personally would like to put forward Great Ormond street hospital for sick children.
As i was a patient there for the first 8 months of my life and without the treatment i received 50 years ago i would not be here today.
The marvelous work they do with limited resources is amasing.

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, funnily enough that was the charity I was going to pitch. So, at the moment it's got two votes...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Well, ........as I've just recently lost my gilfriend to cancer and my father several years ago to a different cancer, it seems that Cancer Research UK would be worthwhile to try and prevent the indiscriminate devastation this disease causes to the person and those close to them.

Perhaps even, the proceeds of the BXagon could be split between 2 charities? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

How awful to say the least. Likewise I lost a beloved brother-in-law to it recently too.

I believe, having done some further research, that it is quite common to split an event's donations (depending upon the size of the said event) amongst several charities.

So, unless someone has a compllling reason why we shouldn't, can I propose we split the proceeds from this fund-raising to Gt. Ormond St. and Cancer Research UK? Gets that out of the way and I can contact them both to see if they have co-ordinators who can advise.