Scrap attack!

Anything about BXs
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I thought it was a Rekord at first but looks distinctly Mk2 Cavalier to me.

Is that green dashboard out of a Mk1 BX? It looks absolutely brilliant and I want one!
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's a Visa, Billy.

How cool is that? 8)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I've been forced to brush up on my GM spotting! It is indeed pretty much a Mk.2 Cav though was called on the continent the Opel Ascona

Apart from the Manta which I like in all its guises (especially some of the absolute over-blown examples that one sees out on the autobahn usually on their way to/from tuning fairs!)
and of course the Chevette/ Chevanne I like the Opel GT that I think was not available in Uk ( Ok so I am obviously a bit of a GM fan :D well, at least up to the early 90s )

And yes, that dash was indeed from a Visa - there were two there and I was told that was the second series? Did the first have the same crazy dash? I know they changed it by '84 or something..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think that's from a series 1 Visa - but I am not sure. The GTi I had certainly had a much different dash.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:I suggested before a scrapyard trawl from here. Cheap Ryanair flights over then camping and boozing every evening ( why limit that to the evenings?)
That sounds like an excellent plan, not sure if flight prices are still stupidly low though. Problem is, I'd want to take the van, and that means about 7 hours driving to Dover, £100 for the ferry and at least a day to get to somewhere like Colmar. If I had the money (and a little more time) then I'd be very keen.

By the way, I think it's quite a common problem in couples to get the timescales of 2 hours and 10 minutes mixed up... :wink: Or is that just me? :oops:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Philip Chidlow wrote:I think that's from a series 1 Visa - but I am not sure. The GTi I had certainly had a much different dash.
Rémy told us that it's a Mk II Visa, as it has these black frames around the headlights and a few other changes from the Mk I. It has still got this dash though...
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I think the dash is from a Visa Club II - the second derivation of the Club but not the second series that was completely re-modelled in 1984 and lost the distinctive dash..

Mat, as for cheap flights I haven't looked recently but loads of airlines seem to be going bust. As I've said before my wife is pretty tolerant but really scrapping is man's business! Just the thought of all those BXs lying forlorn and forgotten in all those French yards makes me want to saddle up the van and ride out, armed with only a socket set and 5 cases of beer...
Though it has got really parky of late, unseasonably cold, and I might have to drive the wife to hospital at any moment. Yes, it's bloody inconvenient having to stay sober :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Philip Chidlow wrote:It's a Visa, Billy.

How cool i-s that? 8)
It's fantastic Phil, and I love it!

Right, who said Chevette? Here's mine...

Makes a BX17RD look like an Aston Martin in the perfomance stakes but the BX didn't come with funky red tartan seats!
Vauxhall apologist.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Oh, it will be getting a new stable mate too soon...

Vauxhall apologist.
M

Post by M »

Morris 1000 - KWOLITY

I presume you are going to do the decent thing and rape an Ital for decent suspension and even drop a faster donkey in there?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I don't know yet mate. It's not run in I think six years, so will be attempting to get it fired up first.
I absolutely cannot abide Marinas and Itals (from previous bitter experience with the damned things) so whilst breaking one for the engine would be therepeutic so I can see the thing get destroyed, I'd rather not have any Marina/Ital part in it or on it!
I seem to remember someone said the 1275 A series will fit in ok so I might pillage a Maestro.
Hmm, I wonder if a Perkins Prima would drop in, that'd be a right laugh!
Anyhow garage almost cleared of Fiat Seicento (sold) and random car parts and tyres so it's new home is nearly ready.
Vauxhall apologist.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

toddao wrote:armed with only 5 cases of beer...
Are you going soft? :wink:

Hope your new arrival all goes smoothly anyway.

Billy, your Chevette photos brought back memories of a lime green one my Dad had, the first car I remember. I think his was a hatch though, I think I spent some time in the boot, and I'm fairly sure my parents wouldn't have shut me in a saloon boot. Ahhh...those were the days! Having said that I preferred the early GSA that followed it - I was (as 5 year old) soooo impressed with suspension that went up and down!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

<That sounds like an excellent plan, not sure if flight prices are still stupidly low though. Problem is, I'd want to take the van, and that means about 7 hours driving to Dover, £100 for the ferry and at least a day to get to somewhere like Colmar. If I had the money (and a little more time) then I'd be very keen. >
£100 for the ferry...............Norfolk line for £27 return or as you say £49 each way for the eurotunnel....
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
M

Post by M »

cavmad wrote:II seem to remember someone said the 1275 A series will fit in ok so I might pillage a Maestro.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ital telescopic dampers bolt on the front and improve things over the standard Moggie / Marina items. You can also replace some of the perished bushes with plastic ones (?Neoprene) - but dont do them all or it will be too harsh - use rubber in some.

Rears can be beefed up by removing the Armstrong lever-arm shock and replaceing it with a telescopic using a shock mounting plate from the Minor Van. The lower end of the shock bolts to this bracket which is bolted to the leaf spring where the axle attaches. The upper end bolts to the pin that used to carry one of the joints of the standard shockker.

Aparently the K series engine and sierra 5 speed box fit with some fiddling, not sure about a perkins - it probably would, but would not be a drop in job like the A series is.

Uprate the anchors too - Ital items again bolt on... And grease those trunnions (or kiss your wheels ta ta on the next hairy corner). Welcome back to a world of grease nipples (12 IIRC).
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Trouble with a K-series is I'd have to replace the sodding head gasket and head every ten days. I don't know what I'll be doing with it as yet M, as I said getting it running will be first priority then assessing the bodywork. Apparantly before it went into hiding in a garage for the last six years it had had the entire underside welded at considerable cost so hoping it's still holding up well. One front bumper brack bar thing has snapped but new ones only eighteen odd quid so no big deal.
Vauxhall apologist.