A Hardened BX

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

A Hardened BX

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK there isn't really much everyday need for this, but I was wondering what would be the most vulnerable part of a BX if you were driving over rough roads, slightly rocky terrain with the odd ridge, dip or hole to deal with. I'm not thinking Paris-Dakar here, just a little light off-roading/rally stage type thing.

I would have thought some sort of 'sump guard' affair especially given the exposed pipework would be a good idea, the exhaust always seemed a little 'low' compared to the rest so I guess a revised/reinforced centre and transverse box area. The air intake might need repositioning on some models...

This started with my (idle) thoughts on a BXagon II Challenge :D This time in Wales or suchlike...

Just as bit of speculation; a bit of 'fun'.... any thoughts?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I always thought the metal fuel lines were quite exposed - all it takes is a hefty clout to one sill and it could take out the pipes! or in the case of my old BX14E tapping them lightly with a screwdriver and then watching the contents of the tank run out....
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

So we need armoured sills... Maybe a detatchable steel shield along the length of the sill... 8)
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

I'd love to see a bx with an intake snorkel :lol:

fuel tank would be quite vulnerable.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

For maximum protection, all the underside exposed pipework needs to be routed inside the car...

Those that can't, require additional protection..
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I can testify (as can David R I think) that the fording depth even on a standard BX is quite deep. I reckon on about 2 feet of water on one occasion, the only other vehicles getting through were 4x4s.
I would imagine that the rear brake shields could potentially trap small stones behind them, and the front brake shields seem to snap off for fun!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

mat_fenwick wrote:I can testify (as can David R I think) that the fording depth even on a standard BX is quite deep.
Yep. Very deep actually. Car in high, 1st gear and about 1200rpm on the clock. Don't touch the clutch. Don't touch the brakes. Keep going whatever happens, and you're fine. I did get a bit of water in the rear footwells, but then the water was up to the headlamps at the front, which is a good 6-8" up over the doors!

I have forded the same depth in the Van before now, but got water in one of my front wheel bearings, which then howled like a werewolf at full moon. Also a mare of a job to change.

I'd say the most vulnerable bit on a BX depends a lot on the driver. Some people will smack the underneath due to selecting the wrong line when off road. Others will bash the bumpers, or pull the mirrors off. A personal favourite is to catch the wiper in an overhanging branch and tear it off. I've done that three times now in different vehicles.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I reckon a sort of elaborately fashioned guard under the front to deflect potentially damaging contact with moderate obstacles, reinforcing shields/covers over the front-to-rear pipes, other bits such as exhaust firmly attached and off you go!

I wonder what the underside of a BX4TC was like!
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »